The Figure Skating War on Youtube | Page 4 | Golden Skate

The Figure Skating War on Youtube

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Those videos are not available in every country, though, especially the World Championships.

No, they aren't, but it's USA Gymnastics. I don't know if a vpn would work. The point is they don't just encourage posting of videos, they actually do it themselves.

MissBeeFarm

On the Ice
No, they aren't, but it's USA Gymnastics. I don't know if a vpn would work. The point is they don't just encourage posting of videos, they actually do it themselves.

Yeah, but other broadcasts that were available worldwide got deleted in the process. This is not a good solution either. The FIG should be doing this (or ISU in FS), not a national federation.

gmyers

Record Breaker
So blaming the music holders is wrong?!? It’s the TV channels? That’s insane! There is no aftermarket for skating competitions. I mean there is an interest by some of course for 1997 skate America but not enough to make a lot of money on.

Ducky

On the Ice
ISU can' t offer fan channels because they've already sold the broadcasting and streaming rights. Why would NBC Sports pay to host livestreaming broadcasts AND replays of figure skating competition if the ISU is going to offer a free version of the same competition.

Hevari

Drivers start your engines!
On the Ice
ISU can' t offer fan channels because they've already sold the broadcasting and streaming rights. Why would NBC Sports pay to host livestreaming broadcasts AND replays of figure skating competition if the ISU is going to offer a free version of the same competition.

And ho does it relate to deleting two-year-old vids from Youtube?

And noone forces NBC Sports to buy rights, host livestreaming broadcasts and replays... Seems that in ESPN/Fox/icenetwork times there weren't such things like now

Ducky

On the Ice
And ho does it relate to deleting two-year-old vids from Youtube?

And noone forces NBC Sports to buy rights, host livestreaming broadcasts and replays... Seems that in ESPN/Fox/icenetwork times there weren't such things like now

Well, if it's a video from an NBC broadcast, they own the copyright.

You're right no one is forcing NBC Sports to buy the rights, but it seems that neither ESPN nor Fox were interested in outbidding NBC to broadcast coverage of figure skating.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
And no one is forcing the ISU to sell media rights to NBC.

(I had been trying to refrain from posting in this thread, but something that I hate is that some figure skating "fans" are shameless about stealing content from any source. [Not just from big broadcasters like NBC.] Examples:

Recently I noticed that copies of fan-cams already posted on YouTube (by the original creators) were re-uploaded by a YouTube "fan" channel that did not even give credit to the original sources.

There is an Instagram "fan" account that steals entire articles and reposts them.
Articles from niche outlets, such as International Figure Skating magazine.​

Rotten apples like these are generating bad karma, IMO.

[Even the YouTube videos from the ISU JGP channel get stolen and re-uploaded on other YouTube channels.])

ETA:

... And the filter option isn’t even working properly. Is anyone else experiencing the same problems?

Forgot to say that only within the last few days, the YouTube "Upload Date" filters have not been working for me either. :(

Up until this week, they used to work just fine.

(I still am using the same device and same browsers as before. I have tried rebooting. But I have not been able to get the filters to start working again.)​

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
(I had been trying to refrain from posting in this thread, but something that I hate is that some figure skating "fans" are shameless about stealing content from any source. [Not just from big broadcasters like NBC.] Examples:

Recently I noticed that copies of fan-cams already posted on YouTube (by the original creators) were re-uploaded by a YouTube "fan" channel that did not even give credit to the original sources.

There is an Instagram "fan" account that steals entire articles and reposts them.

[Even the YouTube videos from the ISU JGP channel get stolen and re-uploaded on other YouTube channels.])

I first came across this when I was making out the video list for a particular skater's Fan Fest last autumn. Nearly every video I found of her was duplicated by a single fan account that is dedicated to her.

And I have to admit, it shocked me.

This has been really getting to me ever since. Like, I'm sure the people that originally uploaded the videos are getting seriously peeved off with it. I have only uploaded a few videos to YouTube, and they are not the sort of thing that I would imagine anybody would be interested in copying. But, I know that I would be really annoyed if somebody did copy them.

And the filter option isn’t even working properly. Is anyone else experiencing the same problems?

Forgot to say that only within the last few days, the YouTube "Upload Date" filters have not been working for me either. :(

(I still am using the same device and same browsers as before. I have tried rebooting. But I have not been able to get the filters to start working again.)

I experienced the same problem back in the autumn when I went to update the video lists for a number of Fan Fests. Whenever I do searches for new videos, I always order the videos by upload date, so that I don't end up going over videos that were done in previous updates. But, the videos were so all over the place when I attempted to order them that it made it next to impossible to keep track of what I was doing. And I gave up.

Fortunately, it eventually did start working properly again. But that was not until this side of the New Year.

So, I'm afraid you may be in for a long wait for it to rectify itself.

CaroLiza_fan

penniavaswen

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Ah, so this explains why my Sakamoto 2018 Four Continents video was taken down and I got a copyright strike. I got around getting more strikes from Toei by unlisting them and sticking the potentially offending videos in a playlist, so I wonder if that would be the solution for the skating videos. Would be a real shame to lose my channel since it has some unique videos from the 2018 US Juniors since icenetwork died. Maybe I'll migrate all the videos to another channel -- too bad about the views and comments though.

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
Accessibility to watch figure skating is the biggest issue here. Figure skating does not need any more obstacles for viewership than it already has. I would like to see every TV broadcaster (CBC, NBC, BBC, NHK, etc.) who has an official channel on YouTube to post the raw videos of each skater's performance as soon as possible. And then also post the video again with the commentary after it's been aired (if it wasn't already live).

If you're going to be the arbiter and restrict the entire world from posting figure skating vids on Youtube, then you have the responsibility to make those videos available for viewing to the public (and I would recommend not restricting which country has access to what, make it open to everyone). Not only is it fair, but it's a good business decision: It can only help build the popularity of the sport and thereby your viewership while giving you credibility to take down other vids under copyright law. NBC Sports is already learning this by posting the US Nationals performances of Nathan Chen on YouTube where it currently sits at 400K+ views.

Casual

On the Ice
This is just so dumb. As if figure skating didn't need to attract all the fans it could get...

No visibility, no transparency, crooked judging - it's as if someone decided to kill the sport for good.

Lambari

Final Flight
I just found out a site called Skating Portal where any fan can upload skating related videos from other platforms, so the goal is to have videos compiled in one place.

https://skatingportal.com/ / twitter

It's fairly new so it has its limitations. Also, the creation of it was motivated by the countless copyright strikes on youtube so it only has recent competitions.

Apparently they're going to move the videos there in the meantime (maybe permanently, I don't know) to Yuzuru's forum since they are having technnical difficulties.

https://planethanyu.com/video/ Until now there's only Worlds 2019 is there, in full competition format and all disciplines. You can watch without having an account there.

It still doesn't solve the problem with ISU addressing a way to make skating available on well known platforms like Youtube to gather new fans, so the point of this thread still stands. But at least makes it available for people that are already skating fans in geoblocked areas so I'm grateful.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
It's going to get a whole lot worse.

The European Parliament has approved Article 13:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-47708144

This is going to totally decimate YouTube. And I can see practically all skating videos, be they programme videos or Fan Videos, disappearing.

And the worst of it is, I'm going to be making a Fan Video at some stage over the next few weeks. :drama: So, I hope they take a while to implement these new laws.

CaroLiza_fan

century2009

On the Ice

This is going to totally decimate YouTube. And I can see practically all skating videos, be they programme videos or Fan Videos, disappearing.

And the worst of it is, I'm going to be making a Fan Video at some stage over the next few weeks. :drama: So, I hope they take a while to implement these new laws.

CaroLiza_fan

Actually what the tech companies will do it block or/and Geoblock the content. So it is hurts the audience more.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker

CaroLiza_fan

Wow....that is some article.....
So, here is a fan vid with the licensing agreements of the songs to YOutube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fda0ziav7E

Now here is a section of the movie with nothing but a fan name....is that not ill eagle and can not youtube be held responsible under the article 13 for it being posted?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRJ539f5Ugc

Perhaps a larger question is, what if none of the broadcasters or the sellers of the feeds in this video complained? Is it still ill eagle under the new article 13???
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNFmUCUHCdM

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
And no one is forcing the ISU to sell media rights to NBC.

ETA:

(I still am using the same device and same browsers as before. I have tried rebooting. But I have not been able to get the filters to start working again.)​

If the below (above) mentioned Article 13 is taken seriously, Youtube, Facebook, twitter,et al are in big trouble if I read it arights.
Remember the case of the song sharing websites where the kids would basically trade around expensive music? Then some people were hammered. Now artists are paid but it is unclear if they get more or less. I think we are in for a new techno war.
The establishment sees that the only way to block sharing of copywrited material in the digital age is to go after the sharing service because they dont have the money to go after everyone else who is actually doing the "crime."
They are gonna arrest the mailman who is delivering counterfeit DVDs instead of perps cause its easier.
Every event I go to, it is very explicit that the taking of video is verbotten. And pics are for one's own use, what ever that means....
Its a brave new world. So is there not a way to encrypt a video and post it to youtube and only those end users with the encryption key can decypher the video?

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Wow....that is some article.....
So, here is a fan vid with the licensing agreements of the songs to YOutube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fda0ziav7E

Now here is a section of the movie with nothing but a fan name....is that not ill eagle and can not youtube be held responsible under the article 13 for it being posted?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRJ539f5Ugc

Perhaps a larger question is, what if none of the broadcasters or the sellers of the feeds in this video complained? Is it still ill eagle under the new article 13???
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNFmUCUHCdM

That's what I am worried about. Because, it seems very murky. And I can see the technology companies adopting a "take no chances" stance which will lead to everything getting zapped.

Take the music for the fan video I am currently starting to make for a skater I like.

I decided that I wanted to use a song by a particular singer from England, because this singer has family heritage in both my country (Northern Ireland) and the country the skater is from (Top Secret). But, the thing is, I don't actually like any of her own songs. However, I found a video of her doing an accoustic version of a song that was originally written and recorded by an Australian singer and a French DJ. And it was beautiful! The video was from a live session broadcast by the BBC, but this video had been uploaded to YouTube by a private individual.

So, where does the copyright lie in this situation? :confused:

• With the British singer's record label?
  • With the Australian singer's record label?
  • With the French DJ's record label?
  • With the BBC?
  • With the session musician that is playing guitar?

And does YouTube have to get all of them to agree?! :eek:

It's all getting very complicated! :drama:

CaroLiza_fan

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
I hope someone realizes the power that youtube and the like have in bringing new public interest. Blocking videos isn't the right way to go IMO if they want to address the wide public and entice them to buy legal stuff. To use an example, I've heard a couple of JPop songs in some fan-made videos showing one my favorite skaters, and I and my family liked them so much we're considering buying the songs, or maybe an entire CD. But without the fan videos, we would never have known of their existence as we don't follow contemporary music at all and probably hadn't heard a single JPop song before. Likewise, people are more likely to buy TV channel subscriptions if they see through channels like Youtube what exactly they are subscribing to watch, what gets broadcasted by them.
Such a dumb move that ends up hurting their own profit in the first place...
Once the stuff the channels have bought the rights to has been aired, it should be made legal for fans to upload it. That sounds like the most sensible solution to me.