Help: 1 day to get myself into shape | Golden Skate

Help: 1 day to get myself into shape

strawberrycheeks

Rinkside
Hello! Not sure if I'm allowed to post here since I'm just a beginner with no intentions if becoming pro figure skater, sorry.

I've gone ice skating many times in the past and in one particular session, attempted learning some moves on my own, like a two foot spin and swizzles. So I have a little experience but still am a complete beginner.

I'm going to ice skate for 3 hours the day after tomorrow and I've been living a sedentary lifestyle, only started doing short workouts recently, I don't want to pull a muscle or injure myself especially because I want to practice basic figure skating moves.

How should I warm up? It's barely any time but I'd love to hear your advice, for future reference too! Also, is it impractical to wear a skirt?

TL; DR: I'm a fool who was too lazy and forgetful to remember to workout and stretch before I attempt to be a figure skater for 3 hours. Please help me warm up.

Additionally, my mother, who has not skated in decades and has joint pains will be skating too (just basic skating), what can she do to avoid injury?

I would go for a very light jog for a little bit and just do some basic stretches (not the other way around! warm up those muscles before attempting to stretch!). I often focus on my legs, and I find that some of the basic yoga poses on this chart are nice and helpful (usually I just do the first 4 or 5; this is some kind of 30 days to get your splits program, but they're just good yoga poses focusing on the legs). When I first started skating I could only do all my skating in one giant chunk--3 hours of practice, an hour break, and then an hour lts class--so it was really important to warm up. On the days when I did my jog and stretches, I felt good for the session. On the days when I didn't--forget about it. I'd say doing core exercises and stuff are important too, but they probably aren't going to do you any good for just the one day and doing too much might just tucker you out before you skate.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
First of all, you don't have to be a pro to post here.

Secondly, don't skate for 3 hours in your first session back and please don't attempt to teach yourself anything because that's how injuries happen.

Jog and stretch before skating.

Good luck!

IsKAtEFaSt

Rinkside
3 hours of skating if you're not an athlete or a very active person sounds like a lot to me. But to prevent injuries, you should be doing
- dynamic stretches and not static stretching because static stretching doesn't warm up the muscle, major muscles you wanna warm up are your quads, hamstrings and hips, but feel free to do more
- you can do some running before you skate but I find it more effective to do more skating specific movements off the ice so that the muscles you'll be using are warmed up
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzK_wzgiVdY - here's a really good warm up exercise, it's meant for speed skaters but since you're just beginning to skate, there's no need for figure skater- specific exercise, make sure when you're doing the side lunge thingy your nose is going past your knee.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQGX88gcILI&list=PLw_MIJNCGI1hHFfjFAtJqLMLtT2wAeghx&index=7- another good warm up exercise
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgW55cVwRz4&list=PLw_MIJNCGI1hHFfjFAtJqLMLtT2wAeghx&index=12 - injury prehab exercises

It's your choice if you wanna wear a skirt but you'll be much more comfortable if you had a jacket and pants because it's cold in the rink and I recommend wearing knee pads & helmets as they will be a big help if you fall.

strawberrycheeks

Rinkside
@HopeSpringsEternal Thank you so much!! That helps a lot, I really appreciate your advice.

- - - Updated - - -

@Ic3Rabbit Not to worry! The last ice skating session I had was after a year or two of not skating but after a half hour, I successfully attempted forward swizzles and a T stop, and even got 1 revolution for a two foot spin. Not trying to show off, but just to assure you that I will probably be okay.

Thank you for your concern and for wishing me good luck, I'll be careful out there!

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
@HopeSpringsEternal Thank you so much!! That helps a lot, I really appreciate your advice.

- - - Updated - - -

@Ic3Rabbit Not to worry! The last ice skating session I had was after a year or two of not skating but after a half hour, I successfully attempted forward swizzles and a T stop, and even got 1 revolution for a two foot spin. Not trying to show off, but just to assure you that I will probably be okay.

Thank you for your concern and for wishing me good luck, I'll be careful out there!

As a pro, I'm going to tell you not to try anything you don't know. If you want to learn more skills, get a coach or join a LTS class.

Good luck and have fun!

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
I can't really add anything that hasn't been said about the warmups/injuries, but you might be able to wear a skirt and tights if it's an athletic/skating skirt or otherwise has something under it to avoid giving any free shows. That would depend on where you live, what the weather will be like, what the climate control in the rink is like, and what your cold/heat preferences are.

Can you check out the rink beforehand? I'd be fine in a skirt at my rink if it's above 50-60F, but I overheat pitifully easily and am not a beginner.

strawberrycheeks

Rinkside
@Ic3Rabbit Unfortunately, I don't have enough money to get lessons since they can be quite expensive sometimes. Thanks for the advice though! I'll look into it and try saving up for some lessons.

strawberrycheeks

Rinkside
@hanyuufan5 I've been to the ice rink many times before! I overheat too actually, not sure if that's my stamina. Also my skirt is long but flexible and easy to move in plus I have tights underneath so I think maybe it'll be alright? Might just bring a pair of pants just in case!

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
@Ic3Rabbit Unfortunately, I don't have enough money to get lessons since they can be quite expensive sometimes. Thanks for the advice though! I'll look into it and try saving up for some lessons.

I dont know your budget or where you live and what things cost there, but I just signed up for 6 weeks of LTS classes for $70, which is well within my budget.

hanyuufan5

Medalist
Ohh, I definitely wouldn't wear a long skirt. That could be a safety hazard.

I doubt overheating has anything to do with stamina. I could skate for hours if I had the money. I'd probably be tempted to roll around on the ice to cool off, though! :laugh:

strawberrycheeks

Rinkside
I dont know your budget or where you live and what things cost there, but I just signed up for 6 weeks of LTS classes for $70, which is well within my budget.

I think you can get 5 lessons at most here for that price. I also have many other things I need to spend my money on (like dentist appointments, etc) so it's not my priority. But definitely want to try this year.

strawberrycheeks

Rinkside
Ohh, I definitely wouldn't wear a long skirt. That could be a safety hazard.

I doubt overheating has anything to do with stamina. I could skate for hours if I had the money. I'd probably be tempted to roll around on the ice to cool off, though! :laugh:

I did end up wearing a long skirt and it was fine but that was probably because I just skated normally!

I noticed I overheated a lot less this time but still got red in the face and warm after a while. Usually I feel that way too lol!!

Skatedadof2

Spectator
my oldest daughter gets red in face alot at rink she work hard i think that is normal with temp and skating fast. she is real red and sweaty after power class. enjoy it i cant wait till i learn to skate with them. i just say the ice has a weight limit and i exceed that. lol mainly i dont want to injure my old football issues.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
i just say the ice has a weight limit and i exceed that.

Um, as a heavy skater, that is not only untrue, it is teaching your daughter dreadful attitudes towards overweight people (that they cannot do simple things).

I imagine it could also plant unhealthy ideas in her head... "If I get fat I can't skate anymore, so I better make very sure I don't get fat..."

hanyuufan5

Medalist
my oldest daughter gets red in face alot at rink she work hard i think that is normal with temp and skating fast. she is real red and sweaty after power class. enjoy it i cant wait till i learn to skate with them. i just say the ice has a weight limit and i exceed that. lol mainly i dont want to injure my old football issues.

Ohhhhh, I forgot about how that used to happen to me! Your daughter might grow out of that. I did in my late teens, thank goodness! Sometimes people would worry! :laugh: If only I had grown out of the overheating itself as opposed to just the visible signs...

jersey1302

On the Ice
Country
Canada
Do. Not. Skate. 3. Hours. Until you’re used to skating at least 2 lol. As for warm up. Skipping is a huge one for me with a jump rope and different variations like foot to foot. Tempo and height of jumps in skipping. Then stretch after. Start off normal skipping and once feeling warmed up a bit add in variations in. I do it 5-10 minutes.

Ducky

On the Ice
Ohhhhh, I forgot about how that used to happen to me! Your daughter might grow out of that. I did in my late teens, thank goodness! Sometimes people would worry! :laugh: If only I had grown out of the overheating itself as opposed to just the visible signs...

Or you just never out grow getting red in the face during strenuous exercise. For me it as nothing to go with overheating just how my body works. Love looking like my face is a tomato after a spin (cycling not skating) class.