Surprises this season | Golden Skate

Surprises this season

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I don't like surprises generally, but this post-olympic year has just been so full of them that I'm getting to enjoy them. I mean...in all the disciplines we just don't know. Yes, there are favourites, but still anything can happen. Whatever discipline (except for dance maybe, although there were surprises there too), it's going to be fingers crossed...who do you think will get to the podium? No, this isn't a prediction game (go to those threads if that's your thing), just a question. Hoping for a surprise, some enexpected dark horses, whatever you like.

In ice dance, I was surprised that Chock and Bates have clawed back and now seem to be inching ahead of Hubbell and Donohue., each with a good chance for silver. For a couple of years there, C&B seemed to be stagnating while H&D were zooming ahead.

A big surprise, but entirely possible, would be if Sofia Samodurova grabbed a top podium spot ahead of Alina Zagitova and Evgenia Medvedeva. She is on the ascendant, especially having bagged the European title.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I :love: surprises! I've really enjoyed seeing Peng and Jin step up their game this season; they're my favorite Chinese Pair (I know that seems :whack: but it's true). It would be fun to see them podium, and it would be an upset to an extent, but I like the unpredictability of figure skating.

I hope to see Piper and Paul create a moment, blow the audience away with "Starry Starry Night," and shake up the usual order of things. To me, a podium finish isn't everything, and in G/P case especially. I just love the potential of this program to Rock the World Championships.

And one of my favorite hoped-for surprises for the 2018-19 season has already occurred: Ashley Cain and Timothy LeDuc are US National Champions, and they'll represent the US at World Championships. Both of these steps were on their plan for this year; they believed in themselves and believed in the possibility of these two goals when (I would say) a majority of observers, fans, etc. didn't think either of those things could possibly happen. They dared to Dream Big, against the odds. That's really inspiring.

Now Ashley and Tim's next goal is to make the Top Ten at Worlds, thereby regaining two spots for US Pairs for 2020 World Championships. :dance3:

rain

Record Breaker
I hope to see Piper and Paul create a moment, blow the audience away with "Starry Starry Night," and shake up the usual order of things. To me, a podium finish isn't everything, and in G/P case especially. I just love the potential of this program to Rock the World Championships.

I know it's totally unlikely, but I'd love to see G/P podium. Sigh. Vincent is my favourite program of the year, in any discipline. I want to see the brilliance of it acknowledged.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I want to see H/D take the top of the podium. Sorry P/C. :sarcasm:

ragdoll

On the Ice
I'm eagerly awaiting the start of Worlds and this year I would like to see skaters who normally don't do very well surprise me by skating flawlessly. I would also like to see the happy faces of unexpected medal winners.

brens78

Medalist
Country
Australia
Elizabet has been a big surprise lately, going to Eteri has been a very wise choice :)

Noxchild

Medalist
Country
Canada
I was a tentative Rika fan pre this season, but her bad performance at Junior Worlds made me think she was going to be a real cactus and be uncertain to make a splash as a senior... I didn't realize how hard she worked over the summer to get her nerves in order, and her stunning win at Ondrej Nepela totally shocked me (and everyone else!). I don't think even those who had high hopes for her thought it would work out THIS well for her in her first senior year... now all I want is for her to tie the golden knot on her stellar season!

Oh, and I never thought I would get to go to GPF either lol, and I did for all four days, though I wish my dumb *** had bought an all-event ticket earlier in the year and not wasted money and got myself janky seats, alas.

Charlotte 71

On the Ice
I don't like surprises generally, but this post-olympic year has just been so full of them that I'm getting to enjoy them. I mean...in all the disciplines we just don't know. Yes, there are favourites, but still anything can happen. Whatever discipline (except for dance maybe, although there were surprises there too), it's going to be fingers crossed...who do you think will get to the podium? No, this isn't a prediction game (go to those threads if that's your thing), just a question. Hoping for a surprise, some enexpected dark horses, whatever you like.

Not sure if it would be a surprise, technically, or just something long overdue, but hoping for Mariah Bell to skate lights out with triple-triples in both programs, no errors and a top-5 finish!

rain

Record Breaker
Not sure if it would be a surprise, technically, or just something long overdue, but hoping for Mariah Bell to skate lights out with triple-triples in both programs, no errors and a top-5 finish!

This is my other one. She has my favourite ladies programs of the season, and I'd love to see her on the podium. Not likely to happen, but I'd welcome the surprise.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I would love Weapo to win World gold and shock everyone or Gilles and Porier but sadly both probably won't even podium. For ladies the big surprise would be if Evgenia could win though very doubtful. For the men a podium finish by Jason Brown or Keegan Messing would be heavenly. And in pairs, to shake things up while I kind of feel for T and M and hope they ascend to the top it would crazy to see MT-M podium - they were so close to gold at 4C's.

StephenGfan

Final Flight
G/P podiuming its not impossible but not likely
Keegan or jun medalling which is enough suprising since most people have shoma-Nathan-Hanyu as their podium pics
P/C not winning here (W/P, S/B or H/D winning instead)
T/M winning over J/C and S/H overall
Elizabet gets bronze

Basically my dark horses of the event are G/P, Elizabet, S/B, Jun and Keegan.

Noxchild

Medalist
Country
Canada
Oy vey, no need to be so uncharitable. Daleman has had a rough year but she is a Worlds medalist and has put in the work. It's just not her season.

noskates

Record Breaker
I always have a hard time reading these threads because many use initials instead of names and I get hung up trying to figure out who they're talking about.

Wombat1800

On the Ice
Samodurova and Turysnbaeva have surprised me this season, I don't think anyone expected Sofia to make the GPF and win Euros, while nobody thought Lilbet would medal at 4CC and have a legitimate chance of a medal at worlds