Question for the Female Skaters: Strapless Bras | Golden Skate

Question for the Female Skaters: Strapless Bras

sarahspiral

Rinkside
Hello. I'm in the U.S. and I wanted to get some recommendations on brands of backless, strapless bras that have the adhesive on the sides. I want something that I can wear during a competition (where I'm going to be jumping and spinning) and it won't fall off. I am concerned about it falling off during either all of the motion from the jumps and/or the heat from me perspiring. I get extremely nervous during competitions so I tend to perspire a lot! I'd love some recommendations on any brands you've tried while competing and had success with! Thank You!

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Most of us wear none. A seamstress can put cups into your dress instead.

sandraskates

Final Flight
Country
United-States
It may also be possible for the costume maker to take a supportive bra that you like, cut off the shoulder straps and part of the back strap and sew the rest of the bra into your costume.
The back strap would be sewn in up to the side seams of your costume, with the rest of the bra sewn in like the cups mentioned by Ic3rabbit.

sarahspiral

Rinkside
It may also be possible for the costume maker to take a supportive bra that you like, cut off the shoulder straps and part of the back strap and sew the rest of the bra into your costume.
The back strap would be sewn in up to the side seams of your costume, with the rest of the bra sewn in like the cups mentioned by Ic3rabbit.

I'll definitely think about doing that because that will make me feel more secure than wearing a bra that could fall off! Thank You! :)

AshleyOlsen

Spectator
I have had good luck with Secret Collection adhesive bras. At 30DD, I can't get away without a bra, or just cups sewn into a backless dress. One helpful hint with adhesive bras - make sure your skin is completely dry and use antiperspirant on the skin the bra will adhere to. That will make sure it doesn't go anywhere!

Nimyue

On the Ice

This is what I do. I am have a fairly large chest, so I need the entire back strap. I sew my own dresses and buy cheap bras where the cups fit (bands usually don't) then make adjustments and sew it in.

sarahspiral

Rinkside
I have had good luck with Secret Collection adhesive bras. At 30DD, I can't get away without a bra, or just cups sewn into a backless dress. One helpful hint with adhesive bras - make sure your skin is completely dry and use antiperspirant on the skin the bra will adhere to. That will make sure it doesn't go anywhere!

That's a great idea about using antiperspirant on the skin, I hadn't thought about doing that. Thanks for the recommendation of Secret Collection....I was leaning towards shopping for one at Victoria's Secret because I thought their bras would be higher quality and would stay in place better than one from a big box store. Thank You! :)

sarahspiral

Rinkside
This is what I do. I am have a fairly large chest, so I need the entire back strap. I sew my own dresses and buy cheap bras where the cups fit (bands usually don't) then make adjustments and sew it in.

Yeah, I might look into this. I wish I knew how to sew, lol! I'll have to get an alterations place to do this for me. Thank You! :)

sandraskates

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Yeah, I might look into this. I wish I knew how to sew, lol! I'll have to get an alterations place to do this for me. Thank You! :)

I recommend going to someone that is experienced making skating or dance costumes to do this. Ask around at your rink.

mskater93

Record Breaker
Definitely find a supportive bra and have it cut apart to fit in the dress. I can’t get away without a bra and my coach (also my seamstress) took a heavy duty one, cut the back strap and shoulders and sewed it in. Four years, no issue but make sure the closure is GOOD on the neck

sarahspiral

Rinkside
Definitely find a supportive bra and have it cut apart to fit in the dress. I can’t get away without a bra and my coach (also my seamstress) took a heavy duty one, cut the back strap and shoulders and sewed it in. Four years, no issue but make sure the closure is GOOD on the neck

Yeah, I can't get away with not wearing a bra either! Thank You for the suggestions! :)

Ange

Rinkside
I'm not at a level where this is an issue yet and strapless bras stay on fine during my programs, so this may be completely unhelpful. But would any sort of taping situation work? Like you would do for a risqué ball gown/formal dress? I used beige adhesive sports tape for a formal event I went to because my dress wouldn't allow a bra and there was zero bounce with that :laugh: You wouldn't want to use it often though, or if you have sensitive skin because it's kind of tricky to remove!

Tavi...

Record Breaker
I'm not at a level where this is an issue yet and strapless bras stay on fine during my programs, so this may be completely unhelpful. But would any sort of taping situation work? Like you would do for a risqué ball gown/formal dress? I used beige adhesive sports tape for a formal event I went to because my dress wouldn't allow a bra and there was zero bounce with that :laugh: You wouldn't want to use it often though, or if you have sensitive skin because it's kind of tricky to remove!

Not sure if I misunderstood- are you talking about going to a formal event where you’re standing around talking and holding a glass of wine? Because I think the amount of support you need for that level of activity is far less than would be needed for jumping and spinning, and I imagine sweating could make the tape itchy and uncomfortable. I’m also guessing that even with a formal dress, that kind of solution probably works best for someone with a smaller bra/cup size.

sarahspiral

Rinkside

Yeah, I've thought about that. I definitely need to wear a bra or have one sewn in, as several people have recommended because I need the support. But if I wear a strapless bra, I could maybe put some tape around it just to make sure it stays in place. I've tried double-sided tape before and it didn't seem to stay in place very well but I might look into the sports tape you suggested and try to tape it to the bra and to my skin. Thank You! :)

sarahspiral

Rinkside
Not sure if I misunderstood- are you talking about going to a formal event where you’re standing around talking and holding a glass of wine? Because I think the amount of support you need for that level of activity is far less than would be needed for jumping and spinning, and I imagine sweating could make the tape itchy and uncomfortable. I’m also guessing that even with a formal dress, that kind of solution probably works best for someone with a smaller bra/cup size.

I'll definitely have to wear some sort of bra or have cups sewn in but I still might be able to use the sports tape too. I'm not familiar with that kind of tape but hopefully I'll be able to use it along with the bra. Thanks! :)

tothepointe

On the Ice
I make most of my dresses and I either cut the back that it's not so low and I can wear a smooth nude bra underneath or I sew a bra front with foam cups and sometimes underwires and sew it into the dress.

What ends up being the best solution for you depends on your size. If you sew the bra into the dress the back opening needs to fit very snugly into order to keep you in place. Otherwise it'll move out of place and your ladies will fall out of the bottoms of the cups.