Question for the Female Skaters: Strapless Bras | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Question for the Female Skaters: Strapless Bras

bunnybarista

If I risk it all, could you break my fall?~
On the Ice
Definitely find a supportive bra and have it cut apart to fit in the dress. I can’t get away without a bra and my coach (also my seamstress) took a heavy duty one, cut the back strap and shoulders and sewed it in. Four years, no issue but make sure the closure is GOOD on the neck

My biggest fear is that my dress will pop open at the neck and fall down and I'll be entirely topless on the ice :eekn: I have a small chest so I don't need a bra for support, but I feel like it's necessary to wear something to avoid any errant nipples?! (I suppose that wouldn't be visible to the audience, but...) I may look into some kind of strapless/adhesive deal to help stave off the topless nightmares haha. Thankfully most of my dresses have had zippers or other methods of entry, but this time around the whole dress hinges on a little clasp in the neck... eek!

tothepointe

On the Ice
My biggest fear is that my dress will pop open at the neck and fall down and I'll be entirely topless on the ice :eekn: I have a small chest so I don't need a bra for support, but I feel like it's necessary to wear something to avoid any errant nipples?! (I suppose that wouldn't be visible to the audience, but...) I may look into some kind of strapless/adhesive deal to help stave off the topless nightmares haha. Thankfully most of my dresses have had zippers or other methods of entry, but this time around the whole dress hinges on a little clasp in the neck... eek!

You can resew the clasp so the clasp opens inwards (i.e backwards) This reduces the likelihood that it will snap open accidentally. It doesn't mean it can't break of course but it reduces the chances of accidentally unhooking yourself. You can also use a safety pin behind the clasp as insurance.

bunnybarista

If I risk it all, could you break my fall?~
On the Ice
You can resew the clasp so the clasp opens inwards (i.e backwards) This reduces the likelihood that it will snap open accidentally. It doesn't mean it can't break of course but it reduces the chances of accidentally unhooking yourself. You can also use a safety pin behind the clasp as insurance.

Thank you, those are both good ideas! At the very least I should implement a safety pin if I don't get around to resewing the clasp.

sarahspiral

Rinkside
I make most of my dresses and I either cut the back that it's not so low and I can wear a smooth nude bra underneath or I sew a bra front with foam cups and sometimes underwires and sew it into the dress.

What ends up being the best solution for you depends on your size. If you sew the bra into the dress the back opening needs to fit very snugly into order to keep you in place. Otherwise it'll move out of place and your ladies will fall out of the bottoms of the cups.

Yes, I've thought about the possibility of the dress shifting around and then the cups not being in the right place. So I'm leaning towards trying to wear a bra instead. But if I get a bra sewn in, I'll definitely make sure it fits snugly. Thank You :)

sarahspiral

Rinkside

My dress is like that too so I totally understand the fear! :)