Worlds: Ladies SP | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Worlds: Ladies SP

GGFan

Record Breaker
Had a wonderful time watching this with folks in the competition thread. So many good to great performances :clap: My only small quibble is with the size of Alina's lead, but the placements seem reasonable to me.

Having said all of that Kaori just blew me away today. She had that Janet Lynn/Patrick Chan sense of flight that is unusual to see. :bow:

P44

On the Ice
I was so pleased for Gabby Daleman. Attagirl!

So, how many points can Rika Kihira make up in the long program if she hits both triple Axels? She can't catch Alina Zagitova unless Alina makes some mistakes. But the podium is not out of reach for Rika.

On the other hand, Elizabet T can't be denied if she lands a 4S.

If she's clean with two 3A she can get around 157 points I think. But it should be a no-fault

risingtrot

On the Ice
I've been watching figure skating competitions on TV, youtube, and other media and never watched it live until today. It's really different and Im so glad I finally got to experience it though a bit late.

My comments/opinion/impression.

1) Gabby - So happy for her. Have always admired here since and seeing her live was definitely nice. You can really see she has star power and she has power in her skating.

2) Mariah Bell - Nice to see her skate live. She has star material and hopefully she continues to grow.

3) Zhenya - Have never been a fan of her and while I appreciate the emotion she brings to her skating I've always found her jumps too forced and tight. I've always felt that she's always been overscored and today I feel that same way. While she has improved particularly the axel, I think other skaters were so much better. I felt like she was kind of forgettable.

4) Eunsoo - Have always been following her from a far and I am excited to see her progress. When I saw here skate I got some Satoko vibes from here in terms of elegance and maturity. I'm really excited for her and Jun and for the upcoming Korean skaters.

5) Sofia - while she skated clean, I didn't feel anything from her skating. While she skated great with lots of emotion, somehow it felt flat and generic. She did everything right but it felt like she just cruised through it.

6) Elizabeth - She's so tiny on the screen and she's tiny live. That said, I always remember how she commented in instagram that she's just naturally slim and that she's not starving herself^^ That said, she has come a long way and it's good that she's being recognised. Excited to see her nail the quad soon.

7) Rika - Rika and her triple axel. Thats the deal with the triple axel. It can be a perfect triple axel, a single axel, a double, or a fall. It needs to be scored higher^^ Rika I think did at least 2 clean 3A during warm up though. It's really just her nerves. Hope she can still snatch a medal after the free skate. I did feel that she still has some room for growth in terms of maturity in skating.

8) Bradie - she was okay but I felt like she was generic and basic. I've always found her a bit awkward.

9) Kaori - Kaori's skating just has this natural flow. I feel she and Gabby are kind of the same skater type. Like more athletic but can still be very elegant.

10) Satoko - She was the most naturally regal and elegant there. I actually didn't care so much about her jumps whether they are tiny or not. She rotates them fast in the air. Her PCS needs to be higher.

11) Alina - While I do find her still overscored in terms of PCS and those GOES, no doubt that she was the strongest in this competition. The triple - triple felt so smooth seeing it in person. She needs better program though. But yeah her lead against the other skater is a bit too much.

Again, these are just my observations and opinions. Overall, it was a great competition~

I am excited to see the free skate live this Friday. Hope everyone will skate well!

Maria Anna

Rinkside
So happy for Alina! Her smile at the end was so cute, it made me relieve a little bit. I don't agree with her overscored PCS but I definitely agree with her place.

Kaori, Ensoo and Mariah were magical and breathtaking. I admire them. :love:

Also happy for Evgenia. I don't like her SP but I'm glad she landed her jumps. I hope she has a clean FS too. :pray:

Heartbroken for Rika. I can't believe the fact that she landed 3 gorgeous 3A in the warmup but then she popped it. We know she is a comeback queen but this time it'll be harder than before, I'll be rooting for her to win at the end. :cheer: :pray:

doublequad

On the Ice
rika nooooooooooooo
also that eteri goe/pcs boost is some BS sorry
and lots of strict UR calls
bradie also seemed less sharp than at 4cc
good for daleman

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power šŸ»
Record Breaker
Happy for Alina. Her team clearly worked on everything, technically as well as mentally. Even her spins, which were already amazing before, were even more on point this time with so much speed, I got some Yulia vibes when she did the last position on her last spin, just amazing. Looking forward to see her FS, which is usually her biggest enemy this season.

Evgenia: I am so happy for her. She got a new SB and could show some of the progress she made this season. I don't agree with the UR call though. I love her Tosca SP. It suits her so well. Misha really knows how to pick a fitting program for her. Hope she performs a clean FS. A podium finish would be my dream, but with all this tough competition idk if it will happen.

Kaori: She was a beauty. Her Loop is just amazing, it deservedly got nearly all 5s in GOE. Even her combo had so much height and distance. It was superb.

Satoko: Robbed. Her PCs should have been higher imo. Hope she can show a strong skate in the FS. Her SP is a beauty. Tom Dickson creates the best programs imo.

Rika: That SP really gives her trouble. I feel like she feels not as connected with her SP as with her FS, which causes her to get nervous and to pop her Axel. Hope she has a comeback like always in her FS.

Elizabet: The cleanest and smoothest she has ever done her SP this season. I was happy for her. I would have called her Lutz edge though. Also the big boost in her PCs really surprised me.

Charlotte 71

On the Ice
I've been watching figure skating competitions on TV, youtube, and other media and never watched it live until today. It's really different and Im so glad I finally got to experience it though a bit late.

My comments/opinion/impression.

1) Gabby - So happy for her. Have always admired here since and seeing her live was definitely nice. You can really see she has star power and she has power in her skating.

2) Mariah Bell - Nice to see her skate live. She has star material and hopefully she continues to grow.

3) Zhenya - Have never been a fan of her and while I appreciate the emotion she brings to her skating I've always found her jumps too forced and tight. I've always felt that she's always been overscored and today I feel that same way. While she has improved particularly the axel, I think other skaters were so much better. I felt like she was kind of forgettable.

4) Eunsoo - Have always been following her from a far and I am excited to see her progress. When I saw here skate I got some Satoko vibes from here in terms of elegance and maturity. I'm really excited for her and Jun and for the upcoming Korean skaters.

5) Sofia - while she skated clean, I didn't feel anything from her skating. While she skated great with lots of emotion, somehow it felt flat and generic. She did everything right but it felt like she just cruised through it.

6) Elizabeth - She's so tiny on the screen and she's tiny live. That said, I always remember how she commented in instagram that she's just naturally slim and that she's not starving herself^^ That said, she has come a long way and it's good that she's being recognised. Excited to see her nail the quad soon.

7) Rika - Rika and her triple axel. Thats the deal with the triple axel. It can be a perfect triple axel, a single axel, a double, or a fall. It needs to be scored higher^^ Rika I think did at least 2 clean 3A during warm up though. It's really just her nerves. Hope she can still snatch a medal after the free skate. I did feel that she still has some room for growth in terms of maturity in skating.

8) Bradie - she was okay but I felt like she was generic and basic. I've always found her a bit awkward.

9) Kaori - Kaori's skating just has this natural flow. I feel she and Gabby are kind of the same skater type. Like more athletic but can still be very elegant.

10) Satoko - She was the most naturally regal and elegant there. I actually didn't care so much about her jumps whether they are tiny or not. She rotates them fast in the air. Her PCS needs to be higher.

11) Alina - While I do find her still overscored in terms of PCS and those GOES, no doubt that she was the strongest in this competition. The triple - triple felt so smooth seeing it in person. She needs better program though. But yeah her lead against the other skater is a bit too much.

Again, these are just my observations and opinions. Overall, it was a great competition~

I am excited to see the free skate live this Friday. Hope everyone will skate well!

Thank you for your review. I don't even know who to root for anymore - they're all so brilliant and I love them all so much. Just hope the FS is as strong all around as the SP was.

natsulian

Final Flight
Thank you for your review. I don't even know who to root for anymore - they're all so brilliant and I love them all so much. Just hope the FS is as strong all around as the SP was.

Same. These ladies have worked so hard, cried and sweat through failures and doubts, and have come to the other side to put forth enticing, powerful performances. No matter whom you root for, itā€™s always great to have perspective and truly see these athletes for who they are. Good luck during the Free!

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
I am happy Alina did well, and Evgenia's jumps finally look much more effortless than the entire season
Japanese ice love Mariah for that obviously unrotated 3t.
Satoko is clearly losing the #1 Japanese lady title and her pcs reflects that.
Libet should have better PCS than Sofia, because the former has a more intricate program with more transitions. Sofia's interpretation relied on her facial expressions, arms and hands more than actual skating (similar to Wagner).

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
Kaori is getting more and more musical through the years, and in my opinion, way better than Gabby in interpretation and basic skating skills.
Happy for Alina. Her team clearly worked on everything, technically as well as mentally. Even her spins, which were already amazing before, were even more on point this time with so much speed, I got some Yulia vibes when she did the last position on her last spin, just amazing. Looking forward to see her FS, which is usually her biggest enemy this season.

Evgenia: I am so happy for her. She got a new SB and could show some of the progress she made this season. I don't agree with the UR call though. I love her Tosca SP. It suits her so well. Misha really knows how to pick a fitting program for her. Hope she performs a clean FS. A podium finish would be my dream, but with all this tough competition idk if it will happen.

Kaori: She was a beauty. Her Loop is just amazing, it deservedly got nearly all 5s in GOE. Even her combo had so much height and distance. It was superb.

Satoko: Robbed. Her PCs should have been higher imo. Hope she can show a strong skate in the FS. Her SP is a beauty. Tom Dickson creates the best programs imo.

Rika: That SP really gives her trouble. I feel like she feels not as connected with her SP as with her FS, which causes her to get nervous and to pop her Axel. Hope she has a comeback like always in her FS.

Elizabet: The cleanest and smoothest she has ever done her SP this season. I was happy for her. I would have called her Lutz edge though. Also the big boost in her PCs really surprised me.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
Eteri's inflation? What a funny joke.

The top 4 in SP were outstanding, they delivered simply breathtaking performances.

The judging was adequate.

thegreendestiny

On the Ice
On a side note, the world championships need be held in Japan every two years. Just looking at the venue and crowd, you will really feel that it is the biggest (outside Olympics) ice skating competition. I've seen other world championships in other venues but nothing really comes close to the scale of Japanese hosting.

When Japan hosted the 2017 JGP final, it looked like a bigger competition than other senior GPs held elsewhere.

Noxchild

Medalist
Country
Canada
Well, JGPF and GPF are hosted together so they would have been there for the senior skaters too... but the Japanese audience is always one to be appreciated, yes :p

Ziotic

Medalist
Eteri's inflation? What a funny joke.

The top 4 in SP were outstanding, they delivered simply breathtaking performances.

It is a funny joke that skating while Russian tends to get magical PCS boost.

Itā€™s unfortunate for others with amazing skating qualities that constantly get overlooked.

I would put Eun-soo Lim's performance in the breathtaking group, too. But I have no quarrel with the judges who put Eun-soo's SS and TR a little lower than the top four.

As for tomorrow, I don't see any way that Alina can lose -- unless she does. That is, unless she has a fall or two and leaves points on the table. In that case, Kaori will be right there waiting to pounce.

If Alina skates clean, I think her SP cushion will protect her even from a triple Axel from Rika and a 4S from Lilbet.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
It is a funny joke that skating while Russian tends to get magical PCS boost.

Itā€™s unfortunate for others with amazing skating qualities that constantly get overlooked.

Sofia, Alina, and Evgenia all received PCS that was not overscored. Everyone's PCS rose here by a little bit, and they were no exception. And if we look at the JGP and even JWC, we can see that many Russian skaters are even underscored in PCS. For example, Ksenia Sinitsyna deserved more than 27 at JWC, Viktoria Vasilieva deserved more than 26 at JGP Ostrava, Anastasia Tarakanova deserved more than 56 at JGP Ljubljana, and Anna Tarusina deserved more than 57 at JGP Ljubljana.

Seruleane

Final Flight
Thrilled with so many of the ladies' performances. Many of you have already made the points I was going to make (Kaori's sublime skating skills, Alina and Evgenia's mental toughness and comebacks, Lilbet's rapid improvement) so I won't elaborate on those. I am sad for Rika's missed 3A, but strongly suspect she will move up quite a few places and end up on the podium after the FS. The only changes I would make to the scoring are to move Kaori's score slightly higher to be closer to Alina's (Kaori is criminally underscored in PCS), and to have Evgenia slightly above Lilbet. However, all in all, I am really happy with the Ladies' SP, and hope to see as many spectacular performances for the FS on Friday. Alina has been battling with her Carmen FS for most of the later season, so I hope she is able to overcome any nerves and put out her best Carmen FS this season.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
I love it when skaters reach their potential and can be happy in the Kiss and Cry.
We saw a lot of that last night. :luv17:

Satoko's SP continues to be a masterpiece in elegance and her trademark attention to detail. Each year, she becomes more and more emotional in her performances and her skating improves. -I cannot say her jumps have improved, however. I love her program best regardless.

Kaori's SP was flawless. Her face in the Kiss and Cry looked like "Hey, where's that famed home scoring I'm supposed to get?" :laugh: I really think, that if home-scoring is a 'thing' Kaori should have gotten some.

I was very pleased that Evgenia was able to produce her best SP of the season here. She's incredibly determined and this season has been so tough for her.

Despite my not liking Alina's programs this year, I like her. Her entrance into her 2A is insaaaane, and she does it easily.

Eunsoo was another stand-out for me. If she can hold it together in the LP, who knows what may happen?