Worlds: Pairs FS | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Worlds: Pairs FS

rustyskater

Rinkside
Lori Nichol's choreography for Sui and Han's free skate was amazing. So happy the Chinese teams count on her and she really delivers! Loved that she sat in the kiss and cry . . . and cried tears of joy with Sui/Han! It made my day - what a great win for skating fans! One of the best performances of a well choreographed, original and breathtaking program I've seen in years!

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ashley Cain's is puzzling, that she does not know what to do now. Won't they be going to World Team Trophy?

My take on Ashley and Tim is that World Team Trophy is right up their alley, and they don't minimize it in the least, and they'll relish the joy, effort and honor of a different kind of team experience.

I can't speak for Ashley, but I take it as almost metaphorical that she said, "We don’t know what to do with ourselves now because our season has finally come all together.” It would be like writing a novel and finishing it, typing The End. The next day, after such a marathon of effort and intensity, you're dazed, and now what do you do with yourself? For a moment, you feel at loose ends. Then you remember you have a whole series of interviews to finish up, and you get right to it. Also, Ashley didn't say their season had come to an end; she said it has come together. The story arc that they imagined and visualized and put all their passion and energy into has now materialized. Anyway, that's my best understanding of her meaning. :)

Nocturne

On the Ice
Im so happy for Sui and Han! My favorites ever since their junior days! So proud of Wenjing to land all her jumps!

I think it's funny how every bronze medal went to a different pair. P/J have the small one from the SP and J/C have the small one from the LP, but Z/E have the actual bronze medal.

I personally would have had P/J in 3rd overall, but it's okay. Next year the chinese once again have 3 spots :D

andromache

Record Breaker
I was assuming that J/C would be retiring after this year, but after missing the podium here (and the title), it sounds like they might still be motivated to continue!!

“We really wanted to reach the medal, but I already knew during the short program that getting a medal was almost impossible,” Cipres pointed out. “But I think we did our job today and we are never giving up. We won’t give up until we get the world title.

I am so thrilled for Sui/Han and that incredible LP. Will be interesting to see what they decide to do for programs next season, since these two are still so fresh.

purplecat

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Gosh I so love Sui & Han :love: Big congrats to them! I'm also relieved the US got two pairs for next year - good job Cain and LeDuc!

Manitou

Medalist
- Sui/Han are magical. Always a captivating choreo and execution. I wish they could stay away from injuries. After Aljona retirement they are the only ones who make me keep watching pairs.
- Tarasova/Morozov - somehow I cannot connect. They got their deserved #2 this time, but I hope for the French on that position in the long term.
- Zabiiako/Enbert - yes, I judge people by looks. I really do and that's the way I am. And Natalia looks extremely unhealthy to me. Uncomfortably unhealthy. It makes me disturbed to watch. The same as with Elizabeth. Not a fan.
- James/Cipres - a fan. Similar charisma as Sui/Han and I am looking forward to future competitions.

MUALover

Rinkside
I think Morozov and Tarasova have the wrong choreography. It's so wrong fro them. Basically, their LP was a snoozefest. But part of the problem was the music - The Winter by Balmoreah (I mean Winter??). They already lack charisma and the LP just brings out the worst quality in them instead of highlighting their strengths.

I'm thinking they should stick of dramatic classical music like Masquerade Waltz or something which highlights their classical lines and brings some drama.

NAOTMAA

Medalist
I think Morozov and Tarasova have the wrong choreography. It's so wrong fro them. Basically, their LP was a snoozefest. But part of the problem was the music - The Winter by Balmoreah (I mean Winter??). They already lack charisma and the LP just brings out the worst quality in them instead of highlighting their strengths.

I'm thinking they should stick of dramatic classical music like Masquerade Waltz or something which highlights their classical lines and brings some drama.

It should have been Winter by Vivaldi! That would have easily highlighted their classical lines and bring some drama. Besides that music sells itself which is what they need if they aren't comfortable being extroverted.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
For the start, I was disturbed by the score difference between Sui/Han's and Tarasova/Morozov's during the short program because I don't think the recycled program of T/M deserved that high score beating Sui/Han's magical performance. T/M's peaked the program already in Pyeongchang and they skated without any magic but executed like public officers but the score didn't agree with my assessment. T/M's free skate score is also unexpected because they made a lot of mistakes but look at the GOEs! I also have felt the bronze is not the Russian Zabiiako/Enbert's by beating Peng/Jin who didn't even earn their season best in both SP and FS despite their brilliant skates whereas Z/E made several minor mistakes. I love the aforementioned teams, but the blatantly Russian favoring judgement took my enjoyment from watching the pair competition. Thanks God that Sui/Han won the title by the square. It's very unfortunate that James/Cipres have faced repeated misfortunes when it comes to their World experience. Though they came back strong in the free, and it is thankful that they would continue their competitive skating although they alluded that they could've retired this season if they would've won the World title. The collision between Della Monica/Guarise and them was very unfortunate.

Aside from the top tier, I'm glad that Cain and LeDuc took back two spots for Worlds and Austrians increase an opportunity for their compatriot team to go to Worlds despite their sorrow for their coach's sudden death (Rip in peace, Jean-François Ballester) I can't wait to see next season in pairs. :)

GoneWithTheWind

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
Sui and Han's free skate was amazing, so beautifully executed, so emotional and so deserving of a (second) world title!

Pleased that Tarasova and Morozov got the silver because their skating skills/pair elements are wonderful but totally agree that:
They already lack charisma and the LP just brings out the worst quality in them instead of highlighting their strengths.
They may have all the elements, but they are not exciting or charismatic. The music for their free didn't do anything to help, which is such a shame because they are so talented and I really want to like them!

I'm pleased that Zabiiako and Enbert got the bronze, they stayed so calm and composed under the pressure. The same really applies to Peng and Jin, both teams went out and delivered clean free programs. I think I like Z/E's free slightly more than P/J's, but I love P/J's short program!

A few thoughts on the rest:
  • Boikova and Koslovskii were so poised and elegant, their skating quality is gorgeous. I'm excited to see what they do next season.
  • Pleased for Cain and LeDuc for getting 2 spots back for the USA, glad they proved those who doubted their ability to do that wrong.
  • Bit messy from Moore Towers and Marinaro, they've definitely had an up and down season, but it must be odd for them being the Canadian No.1s, after years behind Duhamel/Radford (whom I definitely miss!)
  • Glad that Della Monica and Guarise made less mistakes than at Euros and seemed pleased with their programs. Also glad to see Ziegler and Kiefer back, although she was clearly pretty disappointed with their free. I hope next season both teams are able to carry the successes they've had forwards and continue to improve.
  • Sad for James/Cipres, they really lost it on the short, but I'm not sure they would've beaten Sui/Han, even at their very best. Hopefully they're able to come back fighting next season and get back on the World podium!

I really enjoyed the feature on the BBC coverage (it may have been on other coverage too, but I'm not sure) which showed the stats about the throws, very cool!

QuadThrow

Medalist
Sui/Han's free program took my breath away. Stellar! We just could imagine how hard it was to skate after T/M and they came on the ice and skated their heart out!

Two memorizing Free skates in two years (Aljona/Bruno and Sui/Han)!! Pairs skating, I love you.

Casual

On the Ice
I rooted for J/C. :sad4:

Chinese were awesome (both teams).

Russians winning silver and bronze is a joke.

Casual

On the Ice
Although, I liked last year's Aljona/Bruno a bit better than this year's Sui/Han.

It felt more intense, somehow. (Maybe because they were still living in the Olympic high. :biggrin: )

Icey

Record Breaker
Lori Nichol's choreography for Sui and Han's free skate was amazing. So happy the Chinese teams count on her and she really delivers! Loved that she sat in the kiss and cry . . . and cried tears of joy with Sui/Han! It made my day - what a great win for skating fans! One of the best performances of a well choreographed, original and breathtaking program I've seen in years!

Yes, Lori"s choreography was brilliant and I think it inspired the skaters. That opening!!!! I've read too many disparaging remarks lately about Lori. She still has it imo. As many programs as she does, they all can't be homers, and she is limited sometimes by the skater she is working with, but she seems to always try to bring out the best in whatever skater she is working with.

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
I was hoping for Peng and Jin to end up on the overall podium, but I'm glad they got a small medal from the SP.

Got emotional again watching Sui/Han's free, so happy they won! Really pleased for T/M getting silver too.

Ilvskating

Final Flight
So happy for Sui/Han! Best program and performance hands down! IMO Peng/Jin should be 3rd. They had the best performance of the season but didn't even get SB at World!

Macassar88

Medalist
So happy for Sui and Han! How did T/M get positive GOEs on the jumps though? He touched his hand on the ice on the 3T!

wenderiffic

Spectator
" I love the aforementioned teams, but the blatantly Russian favoring judgement took my enjoyment from watching the pair competition. "

I agree 100%. I cannot understand the high PCS scores for either of the top Russian pairs. Neither of these pairs has any connection to the audience, their partner or the music. They literally look like robots going through their elements. T/M I can stand a little better, she at least seems a little present in the music but Z/E are absolutely dreadful. It's hard for me to keep awake during their programs. The music is usually boring, the choreography boring and they themselves boring. I would not have had them in third.

The young Russians I do like. I think they have a great future. They at least seem to have some personality.

wenderiffic

Spectator
"So happy for Sui and Han! How did T/M get positive GOEs on the jumps though? He touched his hand on the ice on the 3T!"

I was thinking the SAME thing. He also landed his second set of jumps poorly as well, pitching forward and almost putting a hand down again. If I remember correctly, Sui and Han only got a slightly higher GOE on their jumps despite theirs being completely clean. The judging in figure skating is just as corrupt as it ever was. They simply use the new system of GOE to play favorites.