ISU Statement on Bell and Lim | Golden Skate

ISU Statement on Bell and Lim

Andrea82

Medalist
ISU Statement

The ISU has been made aware of a statement published on March 20 by All-That Sports, and subsequently by the Korea Skating Union on March 21 about an incident which happened between Ms. Mariah Bell and Ms. Eun Soo Lim, during their practice on March 20 at the ISU World Figure Skating Championships.

The incident was verbally reported to the ISU by the Korean Team Leader however no formal complaint has been received.

Based on the evidence at hand at this point in time, which includes a video, there is no evidence that Ms. Bell intended any harm to Ms. Lim.

The ISU met with delegates from both USA and Korea and urged both parties to find an amicable solution. The ISU maintains that this remains the appropriate approach.

https://www.isu.org/isu-news/news/1...bell-usa-and-eun-soo-lim-kor?templateParam=15

Last edited by a moderator:

Taan

On the Ice
ISU launch probe after Korean skater injured by American rival :eek:
https://www.france24.com/en/20190321-isu-launch-probe-after-korean-skater-injured-american-rival

Figure skating's ruling body is set to investigate claims America's Mariah Bell deliberately injured South Korean rival Lim Eun-soo during a warm-up at the world championships in Japan.

Korean officials told AFP on Thursday that they had lodged a formal complaint following the incident, in which Lim's management agency alleged Bell kicked their skater, causing a cut to her leg, while limbering up for the women's short programme on Wednesday night.

Edited by GS Forum Staff

We have asked repeatedly for folks to wait until official news comes from the ISU or respective federations as many outlets are not reliable and/or titles are misleading. Please see post above which contains a link from the ISU.

Last edited by a moderator:

reneerose

Final Flight
I can't believe this. Part of me is thinking there's this cultural and nationalistic pride filter happening on the part of All That Skate and/or Korean officials/media trying to hype things up. It's especially weird if Bell and Lim train under the same coach and are having behind the scenes drama. Edited to add: I was just on You Tube and Korean fans are making rude rude comments about Mariah, they are listening to media reports and the whole thing hasn't been substantiated yet. Everyone needs to chill out until the ISU investigates the whole thing.

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
This is crazy to hear! Who captured this footage?

edit: The claim that Eunsoo was being bullied prior to this is really concerning... I can't imagine both skaters will remain under Raf after this.

rmsxvi

Rinkside
Damn...im taking everything with a grain of salt at this point unless a video of the actual incident pops up.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
I can't believe this. Part of me is thinking there's this cultural and nationalistic pride filter happening on the part of All That Skate and/or Korean officials/media trying to hype things up. It's especially weird if Bell and Lim train under the same coach and are having behind the scenes drama. Edited to add: I was just on You Tube and Korean fans are making rude rude comments about Mariah, they are listening to media reports and the whole thing hasn't been substantiated yet. Everyone needs to chill out until the ISU investigates the whole thing.

The thing is, while yes koreans are taking everything so seriously, ISU is doing the right thing investigating, we don't know if Adam or others are saying the truth and this is all fake news or it's their way to hide it.

If nothing happened, ISU won't find anything so i can't see how this is a wrong decision.

Haikush

On the Ice
Damn...im taking everything with a grain of salt at this point unless a video of the actual incident pops up.

Does anyone really believe this sensational BS? I mean c'mon......I guess Mariah just risked getting injured herself and maliciously cut Lim's leg....LOL

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Does anyone really believe this sensational BS? I mean c'mon......I guess Mariah just risked getting injured herself and maliciously cut Lim's leg....LOL

If it was a claim of some random journalist nobody would have believed it, it's the fact that korean officials stepped in.

believed

On the Ice

The way people have talked about this like Koreans are only being opportunistic is GROSS.

icybear

Medalist
Have their actually been any fan practice reports on seeing it? Surely someone in the audience must have witnessed the collision.

s_parks

Record Breaker
I don't think there's any racism involved in the alleged incident, like certain gossipers on social media have implied, but there sure is on this forum.
Also, immediately calling crap on this makes you no better than those who are already assuming Mariah is guilty. Whoever people are inclined to believe, everyone needs to wait until investigations are done.

Charlotte 71

On the Ice

I am having a very hard time imagining that this could have been intentional by Mariah, either maliciously injuring Eunsoo, or the bullying that was claimed to precede it. If they have had a history of not liking each other, it could be many things - culture clash/maybe Eunsoo interpreted normal, boisterous American behavior as disrespectful or something, or a misunderstanding made worse by a language barrier, getting off on the wrong foot, some sort of interpersonal dynamic between one or both and Raf, or just two individuals not having good chemistry. It's hard to know, but it's a huge leap from any of that to intentional violence.

Whatever the truth here turns out to be, it's kind of a good reminder to do your best to keep good relationships and be civil towards the people around you, and try to assume good intent from them, even if you're not crazy about them. Then if something goes wrong where you could be accused to be at fault, it's more likely you'll get the benefit of the doubt.

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
I just came from mariah’s Instagram. It is flooded with hateful messages and things. I don’t know what else to say.

sk8ath

On the Ice
If this thing turns out to be true then Mariah should be punished...
But I don't think this thing is related to racism as all...
(Some Koreans regard Mariah as racist)

sk8ath

On the Ice
Even I think this thing is 60% true, I am disgusted by how Korean media treat this news.
They tends to exaggerate all bad things.

oleada

Record Breaker
I’m having a very hard time believing this. A lot of things are not adding up. “Stabbed” by a skate blade? How come we never heard anything down the practice session? Why would Mariah cause a colllision and potentially hurt herself? If she was injured so severely, how was Eunsoo Lim able to skate with just a small bandage? All we see is the pictures is Mariah skating by as Eunsoo Lim holds her leg with no actual contact. If Mariah did nick Eunsoo, It could have easily been an accident. If Eunsoo was in the way during Mariah’s run through, where Mariah has the right of way, that’s not on Mariah, either. But then why go on with such crazy accusations? The way the headlines are written, it’s basically assault with a deadly weapon and if that is untrue, you’re opening yourself up for a lawsuit. As far as the bullying goes, I’d want to hear from the rink or Rafael but it all just seems...fishy.

I have a feeling ATS is doing this for publicity. But they should have known how the Korean fans would behave after Sotnikova. The “fan” posts insulting Mariah’s family and boyfriend, and telling her to go kill herself are absolutely psychotic. I don’t think Eunsoo’s fans are coming across very well here. Particularly low to do this in the middle of the world championships.

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
I really hope this isn't true. If it is, I hope Mariah is swiftly punished. If it isn't, I can't imagine Eunsoo had anything to do with it, more likely would be the fed using her as a pawn, and I hope no one blames her for it if that's the case.

Either way, attacking either skater without proof is premature, pointless, and cruel. And to add some positivity to this thread, they both skated beautifully yesterday! :)

FWIW, when I was a kid, I got a blade cut that I still have no idea how I got. I don't know if I did it or someone else did or an invisible gnome sliced me with a knife. I never saw or felt a thing, and if someone else did it, I don't think she noticed either. All I know for sure is that it was definitely nothing intentional. I also know for sure that people can do rotten things to people who did absolutely nothing to them or anyone else. I hope that's not the case here.