Worlds: Mens SP | Golden Skate

Worlds: Mens SP

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Nathan Chen.jpg

USA’s Nathan Chen took a comfortable lead in the Men’s event at the 2019 World Figure Skating Championships on Thursday. Teammate Jason Brown is currently in second, followed by Japan’s Yuzuru Hanyu.

More...(quotes from top ten)

Some surprises here, lots of great performances and some unexpected placements.
Discuss!

Last edited by a moderator:

Haikush

On the Ice
So happy for Jason. Should have had highest PCS of all. Nathan was clean but jumps not as clean as Nationals and I still don't think he's very artistic or deserves such high marks

Noxchild

Medalist
Country
Canada
Nathan was simply extraordinary tonight - Jason too. The rest of the final flight I wish could have had a better time - especially Yuzuru and Shoma, who have so much pressure to deliver at a home crowd :( Feel bad for Junhwan also.

But good god, the qualifying score was 73! :eek: Fingers crossed for everyone delivering in the FS!

SNAKSuyun

did it spark joy?
On the Ice
Country
China
Good to see the American men do well tonight, and Matteo Rizzo has earned a fan! I wonder if competitions like these will encourage more guys with good SS and artistry to pursue Jason's triples strategy, and if we might potentially start to see less harder quads (4Lo, 4Lz, 4F) in the younger/lower ranked men if they are not sure they'd be able to land them. The 4T and 4S seem here to stay for the entire field, and I doubt the top contenders are willing to give up their hard quads.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Fantastic SP by Chen and Brown - and some other great SPs like Rizzo, Aymoz and Lazukin.

Chen' performance was great... he was solid but not perfect on his jumps... his 3A had a bit of a scratchy exit and the lutz wasn't landed well enough for the 3T and the 3T in his 4-3 combo was just squeaked out so the jumps weren't ideal but good enough for a healthy lead. The actual execution was a bit sloppy in some parts, but the commitment was there.. I was thoroughly entertained and he was confident.... he could use more transitions, so I'd maybe drop his PCS to mid-45.

Brown in particular was sublime and I think he deserved the highest PCS (like low-47, IMO). That 3-3 combo was butter. His program itself is wonderfully choreographed and he truly stood out.

Hanyu's second half of his program was excellent, but it's ridiculous that *any* skater can have a major error and get 46.71, including 9.50s for performance. His GOE was occasionally generous too - 4's on a 4-3 that clearly was not effortless and didn't have a good landing on the 3T (wobbly edge, and he's definitely done the 3A better than that (lean in the air, and on the landing it was forward on the pick). His PCS should have been 45-46 at best.

Zhou was solid (excellent 4Z+3T) but the 3A was under IMO. Rizzo was fantastic and deserved higher PCS (certainly more than skaters with errors like Messing and Kolyada). I would have had him in 3rd just ahead of Hanyu.

Uno had a rather unfortunate skate, but what was more unfortunate was his PCS - would have kept it to 44 tops... and shame on the judges who gave 9.50/9.25 for performance when he had a UR fall and doubled a triple. His 3A was amazing though. And I guess some home ice inflation for him and Hanyu was to be expected.

Surprised to see Lazukin as the top Russian but it just wasn't Samarin's or Kolyada's day (although I can't believe Samarin's essentially got 40 PCS for his SP and Kolyada's was also ridiculously generous).

Nam delivered a SB and looked so thrilled, so good on him! Too bad for Keegan (especially not doing a lutz combo) - the 9.00s for PE were too generous, though. But at least the Canadian men are poised to maintain 2 spots.

EdgeCall

Record Breaker
This was not just a figure skating competition but a pop festival as well. Can't help it, rooting for a particular skater to succeed doing a difficult jump is one thing, but when the entire competition turns out to be a bunch of men playing hit-or-miss with their quads I find it a bit tiring. :eek:hwell:

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
I had a meeting and missed almost all final group, but re-watched Jason and...WOW. The quality level, complexity level of EVERY single move and gesture was astounding, absolutely extraordinary for me. He OWNED that program completely, with all it bears and then brings - the program brings the absolute best out of Jason, too. It is a vehicle for me that highlights the meaning of 'total package' in such important way, it stresses how important is to have an actual choreography and give it a shape/meaning in action. Jason showed since IdF that this is such a fitting concept for him, BUT he managed to grow it out into something bigger, into a STATEMENT of his skill, capability and development as a performer; for me, it is an iconic performance of an iconic, totally one of a kind program I'll re-watch many, many times.

First thing is that with that kind of program and skater Jason is/his 'brand' of performance it is for me crucial to bring out the comfortable balance between that sensual lingering feel/sexy vibe of the guitar/singer's voice and control/composure over build-up made by movement, to say the sentence before exclamation point, not force out the emotion and tension out too quickly - and this Jason, after change he made, proves that he really mastered that ability exquisitely. His every move connects with the next one SEAMLESSLY, connects with and in-between all elements, connects within the music, not even 'with' the music, but sinks so deep inside of the rhythm you cannot notice both perspectives of music & movement. Jason's advantage is definitely the way he operates musicality, how his movement organically 'agrees' with different kind of pieces he skates to - with this Two Feet one, he expresses these words, dare and edge almost threadbare-like, I can't really imagine another way to pull off this kind of vehicle & music like Jason does, he set not only a standard for himself, but for others too I feel.

Choreography blends with the music and becomes such a powerful, impactful weapon in Jason's whole body - when I see for example Vincent, I acknowledge what he executes, the difficulty, some series of movements and the music, ALL of them SEPARATELY though; with Jason and this SP, his seamless transitioning between every element and musical phrase, he makes a complete vision, a spectacle ending too soon, because I did not catch all the nuance and message carried by it. It all may look simple (and not even talking about him having only triples there), but the most difficult trait in my opinion is to showcase in best way what you have, not showing what you're lacking, the confidence in delivery of a complex wholesome for evaluation. I feel that Jason after the change became more assured about his best qualities and got more 'courageous' to show them off as his advantage, even in highly competitive surroundings - he went there with self-focus and some kind of calm energy that allowed him to captivate people by sheer force of what he produced, not the opinion about him, his BV, his competition record; it was not an attempt to convince someone I feel, but a manifesto of him being devoted to his style and identity which really amped the general impression of performance.

The way nuance works in this choreography, in motion while performed - simply outstanding, making the whole experience so...tasty, rich, multi-dimensional to witness. The kick after jump, an extension of arm going from spins, the whole transitional movement between 1st and 2nd spin, how he operates his arms throughout the choreography, the sharp finish of every pose at the beginning - these things are never forced by Jason, they just co-exist within DNA of that program for me, adding Russian split, spins positions, how his body accentuates guitar rhythm it enriches the whole picture, but never feels 'over-showy' or over-embellished. It takes a lot of control and self-consciousness to make 'cool' tricks an integral part of performance; the way choreography highlights music by jumps, spins, finishing with step sequence is one thing, but to give it that edge and make it a successful vehicle from judging standpoint/to showcase these PCS categories in all their glory, to get that GOE for quality, it's all about way Jason does it in motion. Yeah, it is a vehicle totally in his alley, but it won't work out itself magically into such score and profound impression left in people.

About lack of quads...I have my own look on that and actually allow skaters work their best with al they have to get me involved, not exactly making them technical expectations to achieve to be considered 'a good skater, a valid skater, skater worthy attention, competitive skater. What I like about Jason especially now, seeing just more confidence in caring himself, is that he owns the responsibility of what he already achieved (trying to still elevate it) and what he would like to achieve. Yes, he has not a stable quad, even this elusive one, but I am encouraged to see him trying in pace that won't belittle or reduce an impact of his already owned capabilities. I feel that both his programs this season represent what he already mastered (SP) and what his challenges are (FS). I am simply glad that he seems to find that balance and courage in both sides of the coin which possibly allowed him to produce SP performance like today's.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
This was not just a figure skating competition but a pop festival as well. Can't help it, rooting for a particular skater to succeed doing a difficult jump is one thing, but when the entire competition turns out to be a bunch of men playing hit-or-miss with their quads I find it a bit tiring. :eek:hwell:

:confused: Several quads were landed cleanly though! -16 of them. In the top 12, 11 quads were cleanly landed and only 2 skaters didn't do a clean quad (Brown who didn't plan one, and Kolyada).

There were only 3 quad pops: from Samarin (who still joined the 4F club!)/Hanyu/Tanaka (and I guess 5 if you count Kolyada and Kerry each tripling a planned quad)... but that's about it.

icybear

Medalist
So I guess the judges have transferred the US nationals pcs onto the Worlds stage. So I should not be surprised if Chen gets his nationals inflated 98pcs here too.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
So I guess the judges have transferred the US nationals pcs onto the Worlds stage. So I should not be surprised if Chen gets his nationals inflated 98pcs here too.

At least he's getting 46 PCS for a clean skate. I also think the judges were forced to give him that kind of PCS after Uno and Hanyu got their PCS scores - had he gone before them he would have probably had his PCS tamed a bit - but the judges were probably itching for one of the big names to actually deliver and Nathan, going last, actually did. He still got lower PCS than Hanyu in spite of harder content and Hanyu having an invalidated element with the quad pop. I would have had Jason's PCS the highest though.

Nobody can claim that the judges were bought by USFSA - this is Japanese turf and if anything Nathan's PCS is where it should be relative to the home favourites, given the errors they had and the clean skate Chen had.

I don't *think* Chen would (nor should) get 98 PCS --- but if Hanyu/Uno has falls and gets 95 PCS, and Chen goes clean after them with higher content, the judges will have no choice but to award a super high PCS score.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
I was SO disappointed that Yuzu popped the Sal, which has been very stable for him this season. But he gave his usual high quality to his axel and other non-jump elements. The SP is beautiful.
I was a little stunned by Shoma's performance as well as he'd been practicing VERY well, and with so few mistakes this Worlds.
So, other than Jason and Nathan's superb performances, it was a little flat for me, the last group.

Early standouts, Kevin Aymoz, Kevin Aymoz and Kevin Aymoz!

One thing I really was happy about, was how respectful and complementary all the guys were in the press conference. Each confident in their skills, and appreciative of the skills of their rivals. :points: Good Eggs.

icybear

Medalist
At least he's getting 46 PCS for a clean skate. I also think the judges were forced to give him that kind of PCS after Uno and Hanyu got their PCS scores - had he gone before them he would have probably had his PCS tamed a bit - but the judges were probably itching for one of the big names to actually deliver and Nathan, going last, actually did. He still got lower PCS than Hanyu in spite of harder content and Hanyu having an invalidated element with the quad pop. I would have had Jason's PCS the highest though.

Nobody can claim that the judges were bought by USFSA - this is Japanese turf and if anything Nathan's PCS is where it should be relative to the home favourites, given the errors they had and the clean skate Chen had.

I don't *think* Chen would (not should) get 98 PCS --- but if Hanyu/Uno has falls and gets 95 PCS, and Chen goes clean after them with higher content, the judges will have no choice but to award a super high PCS score.

Harder content doesnt mean your artistry is better. He got 46 pcs with no transitions into or out of any of his jumps.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
I think the pressure to do well at home was hitting Yuzuru, Keiji and Shoma. There is support yes, but there are so many expectations for perfection on these small shoulders. I feel for all three of them, like for Rika who was in a similar situation.

Nathan, I have no words. He's done so well. The new era is really here, he will defend his title and deservedly so. Other than Nathan on top I still think the podium is wide open.

I don't *think* Chen would (not should) get 98 PCS --- but if Hanyu/Uno has falls and gets 95 PCS, and Chen goes clean after them with higher content, the judges will have no choice but to award a super high PCS score.

Hanyu didn't fall, he POP why are you saying he fell. His PCS shouldn't be affected that much with a popped jump, especially with the level of delivery he gave. But now that we are at it, and you keep nagging Hanyu pcs, why Chen got his close to Hanyu when Hanyu has lesser crossovers and more transitions (not mentioning better spins and step sequence) than Chen? better ss than Chen? why Brown has less PCS than Chen too?

"Harder content" (more like harder jumps btw) is not a criteria/bullet for PCS.

ETA: I mean as in harder jumps, ex. a skater having a 4lutz/4flip/4axel whatever shouldn't affect the PCS if it doesn't meet the criteria

I liked the event. Hoping for a clean FS and redemption of some skaters, sad for Donovan I really like him. I have no problem with the placement either. Overall a nice competition.

fireovertheice

On the Ice
Sorry, but at this point I think it would better not score transitions among PCS (and those have nothing to do with more or less difficult=quads program...), because this mark here simply doesn't reflect what the skaters actually put in their programs. And not only among the athletes now in the first six positions. It's really annoying and saddening to see always things like that.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I think Rizzo wuzrobbed of a bronze small medal. Ridiculous to have him behind Zhou in PCS, and while it’s not unexpected given his reputation and where the contest is, Hanyu was scored rather generously.

Mr. Liza (or Lazukin, I guess we’ll call him, since he did well here) was also undermarked relative to how the judges scored his compatriots. I dare any judge to justify him being behind Kolyada and only a few points ahead of Samarin.

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
Yuzaru has been behind before and pulled ahead significantly with grace and style... Doesn't Shoma traditionally do well in comps after a poor practice session? Here's hoping he rebounds in the free
Actually love all the Russian men so root for them constantly, especially Kolyada... Boyang Jin is a dynamo, as is Messing, so good luck in the free. And a huge shout out to Julian Yee and Alexi Bychenko who are sentimental favorites ... Nathan, Vincent and Jason!!! Just WOW!!