Worlds: Rhythm Dance | Golden Skate

Worlds: Rhythm Dance

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Gabriella Papadakis and Guillaume Cizeron.jpg

Olympic silver medalists Gabriella Papadakis and Guillaume Cizeron of France took the lead after the Rhythm Dance at the 2019 World Figure Skating Championships with a record-breaking score. Russia’s Victoria Sinitsina and Nikita Katsalapov are currently in second, followed by teammates Alexandra Stepanova and Ivan Bukin.

It was a stellar competition in which all teams performed well and were in top form. Many, including the top 10 teams, earned a new season’s best as well as improving on levels and key points in the Tango Romantica patterns. Grades of Execution (GOE) and Program Component Scores (PCS) were the determining the factor for the placements.

More...(quotes from top 10)

Share your impressions, stand out moments and surprises!

Last edited by a moderator:

Roast Toast

Medalist
I find it irresponsible to leave so many teams extremely bunched together after the RD. At a certain point just tell them they're all tied and only the FD matters and leave it at that instead of giving every team all level 4s and identical PCS. Knowing where you stand with the judges and what you need to deliver in the FD is important psychologically for an athlete. Just look at how nervous H/D were throughout this dance because they were unsure of their position after the 4CC fiasco — Madi gave way less face than usual and they were subdued in the Kiss&Cry. I'm sure the panel handing out level 4s by the truckload must have been comforting for a while but I'd be willing to bet looking back most of the teams will wish they had been stricter. I hope all of them will still be able to skate confidently tomorrow in spite of all this clownery, especially Piper and Paul who were buried.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Actually, it was 27 pairs, with 20 teams moving on to tomorrow's FD. Trust me, describing 54 costumes is something you don't forget in a hurry! :)

Yes, the tech panel should be ashamed of themselves because with all the Level 4 YYYY patterns they rendered the scoring essentially meaningless.

On an up note, it was a terrific competition in terms of teams really upping their RD game.

But a big Bronx cheer to the Tech Panel. And it's a shame after the stellar jobs they've been doing all season, providing a voice of sanity in the insanity known as THE NEW HYPERINFLATIONARY WORLD OF GOE SCORING.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I feel bad for Komatsubara and Koleto — not even home Worlds bonus was enough for them to make the free dance.

Merjan

On the Ice
Gabriella / Guillaume vere so majestic, elegant and perfect. I enjoyed every second of it.

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
Summary of this segment?

Audience: Let the judges decide...
Tech Panel: We'll also let the judges decide...
Judges: Other than P/C, let the free dance decide.

The real question is: will we see the silver and bronze be decided by a tenth of a point again like five years ago? ;)

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
While Papadakis and Cizeron lead the pack with nearly a five-point lead, there is little separating the rest of the top 5-6 teams (for second and third place) which will make for an exciting Free Dance on Saturday. :hap85:

Last edited:

keasus

On the Ice
Worst judged ice dancing event. P/C over scored (as usual), big push for the Russian teams. It's the 1980s all over again. Non-European teams need not apply. The results are decided before the first team takes the ice.

yuna13

On the Ice
My personnal top 3 :1:p/C 2:S/K 3:W/P
W/P are in the last group.:)
Also i think that G/F should be in the last group.

Remember WC fd 2014, Starting Order matters.

Bcash

Final Flight
Worst judged ice dancing event. P/C over scored (as usual), big push for the Russian teams. It's the 1980s all over again. Non-European teams need not apply. The results are decided before the first team takes the ice.

Which of your favorites got buried again?

keasus

On the Ice
No particular team. I have been railing against the inflated scores awarded to P/C for a few seasons now (no offense to P/C ubers) The placements may be right, but the scores have been problematic in all the major dance competitions this year, perhaps due to the new GOE system and/or what the judges are actually looking for in the RD.

GGFan

Record Breaker
No particular team. I have been railing against the inflated scores awarded to P/C for a few seasons now (no offense to P/C ubers) The placements may be right, but the scores have been problematic in all the major dance competitions this year, perhaps due to the new GOE system and/or what the judges are actually looking for in the RD.

Overscored how? In the absolute sense that no one should score close to perfection? Maybe that's true. Perhaps they should reset things and lower everyone's score.

Overscored relative to the skating of others? How so? What are P/C getting rewarded for that other teams do better? I'm asking for examples because I honestly do not see it. There are lots of scoring shenanigans but P/C being #1 and beating teams handily is not one of them.

All of the skating commentators say after watching P/C they're in a league of their own. I can see it and so do many others.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

The Russians: Just look at the huge leaps in RD scores from the GPF to Euros to Worlds
Sinitsina / Katsalapov 77.33 to 70.24 to 83.94 +6.61 points
Stepanova / Bukin 77.20 to 81.37 to 83.10 +5.9 points

The Europeans
Guignard / Fabbri 78.30 to 79.05 to 81.66 +3.36 points

The non Europeans: tiny increments by comparison
Hubbell / Donohue 80.53 (GPF) 4CC 81.95 Worlds 83.09 +2.54 points
Weaver / Poje 80.56 4CC 82.84 Worlds +2.28 points
Chock / Bates 81.17 4CC 82.31 Worlds +1.14 points
Gilles / Poirier 78.05 4CC 80.44 Worlds +2.39 points

No complaint about P/C. Their RD scores rose from 84.79 (Euros) to 88.42 (Worlds), but even their +3.63 increment pales before the Russians'. They'd better look out for next year, though.....

Silvia451

Record Breaker
Country
Romania
It's P/C and the rest of the world right now and I'm glad the scores reflect this.

rain

Record Breaker
The Russians: Just look at the huge leaps in RD scores from the GPF to Euros to Worlds
Sinitsina / Katsalapov 77.33 to 70.24 to 83.94 +6.61 points
Stepanova / Bukin 77.20 to 81.37 to 83.10 +5.9 points

The Europeans
Guignard / Fabbri 78.30 to 79.05 to 81.66 +3.36 points

The non Europeans: tiny increments by comparison
Hubbell / Donohue 80.53 (GPF) 4CC 81.95 Worlds 83.09 +2.54 points
Weaver / Poje 80.56 4CC 82.84 Worlds +2.28 points
Chock / Bates 81.17 4CC 82.31 Worlds +1.14 points
Gilles / Poirier 78.05 4CC 80.44 Worlds +2.39 points

No complaint about P/C. Their RD scores rose from 84.79 (Euros) to 88.42 (Worlds), but even their +3.63 increment pales before the Russians'. They'd better look out for next year, though.....

The politicking for the Russians started at the beginning of the year, and now we're seeing the outcome. What a meteoric rise (without the meteoric rise in ability to justify it). They will be gunning for the French next, no question. I always find the French overscored relative to the other teams, especially in the rhythm dance, which has never been their forte.

rain

Record Breaker
My personnal top 3 :1:p/C 2:S/K 3:W/P
W/P are in the last group.:)
Also i think that G/F should be in the last group.

Remember WC fd 2014, Starting Order matters.

That's what makes me so sad for G/P, who should rightfully still have a shot at the bronze at least, with their superlative free dance. But being outside the final group pretty much puts paid to that idea.