Worlds: Ladies FS | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Worlds: Ladies FS

Leonardo

Final Flight
I suppose Kaori's sudden PCS jump looks suspect, but I'll come out and say I think that's the PCS she has always deserved (for a clean program, at least - I'm fine with shaving off some points for today since she popped and was generally pretty tight). Satoko, of course, should be right up there as well, and I'm heartbroken to see that she has seemingly been abandoned. (I think another part of this may be that they want to keep Kaori competitive for the years to come due to their acknowledgement of her potential while they've set their mind to abandon Satoko, which is... heartbreaking in another way.)

Regarding the argument that "the Japanese ladies blew their chance so it's their own fault," though. Of course they are to blame for their own mistakes. This, though, irks me because it means when other ladies' PCS remain constantly inflated, the Japanese ladies (as well as most other ladies) have to comparatively do so much better for them to shine. This is true, of course, everywhere - some skaters' scores and PCS will take ridiculous plunges for one small error while others' will get held up through bad programs as well as scratchy and bombing competitions. I suppose this is a part of why Sui/Han's victory felt so particularly personal to me yesterday - barring a completely perfect program, which they somehow miraculously delivered, they would have likely lost and people would probably have called it justified because they would have not been perfect. Yes, I think they could have lost over a single hiccup, even though nobody (except real life Sui/Han) was perfectly clean in Pairs last night. Yes, I think that's unfair, considering the similar levels of command the teams had over the tech, and the world of difference between their levels of artistic expression.

I totally feel the same about everything. But somehow I feel that Zhenya skated cleaner overall (no big mistakes and was the only one punished in the sp and lp by the tech controllers) so her medal isn't a big injustice for me.

P44

On the Ice
The technical controller is.
And, of course, the venue is.

It's fine - every country has home ice inflation. The general consensus is that Japan is less prone to bias and home inflation for their skaters, but so far this Worlds isn't exactly upholding that. But at least the final results as far as placements go (in the ladies) is what it should be, IMO.

http://www.isuresults.com/results/season1819/ec2019/SEG004OF.HTM

Is Ms. Raffaella LOCATELLI japanese ?

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
So, my fresh jumbled impressions, although it's possible they change a bit when I've watched the whole thing for a second time.
- shoutout to Gabby, who is slowly coming back! Keep going! I really enjoyed the program, and this kind of music suits her well. If she keeps it till next season and adds more secure jumps and more speed, she will be back in the fight for medals.
- another great comeback was Evgenia! And congrats on that solid 3loop combo! It was really enjoyable to see her much more confident and her jumps and lightness on the ice coming back nicely. What an incredible fighter. Hopefully she selects better music and packaging next season. I waited all season to warm up to this FP but it never happened. I still find the tune, choreo and packaging quite dull. Well, I look forward to what she comes up with come September!
- Elizabet - fantastic rendition, even if she isn't a favorite of mine as a performer. Her movements matched the music very well. And congrats on that quad. Great improvement from the previous seasons, although she was very enjoyable back then too.
- Alina was on fire, and she's a great skater with a great content who can sell her programs really well. Shame about her team giving her warhorses with terrible cuts this season. But I keep a spark of hope for something much more worthy of a champion for next season.
- Bradie's was one of the most enjoyable skates of the night, she really gave it her all. Lovely. The jumps and spins and everything was just right tonight, and once she got over her initial nerves, the passionate performance was top-notch.
- congrats also to Mariah and EunSoo (likely to become former training mates within a matter of days) who can't have been in an optimal mindset before the FS, but both handled it admirably. Just minor mistakes here and there, and they were really trying to perform and emote although it can't have been easy. They've got guts!
- Alaine's program could be so beautiful, one could see glimpses of greatness and artistry here and there when she wasn't being nervous about jumps. Her fear of falling was almost palpable to me, that's a real pity. Hope she can find a solution to whatever the problem is.
- Sofia did very well for her first Worlds. She didn't crumble under the pressure, and even if she performed more tentatively than at GP or Europeans, she has nothing to be ashamed of. Very enjoyable.
- last but not least, the Japanese ladies, my favorites of the event! Unlike most here, I actually preferred both Kaori and Rika K to Satoko performance-wise. I am a fan of Satoko, but I preferred her programs in the previous seasons. I appreciate that she's trying a different approach but I'm not feeling her in the tango tune. Her movements aren't fast, sharp, dramatic and fierce enough for me, she's too gentle for this music. Although maybe it was just the concentration/nerves. I'd say the placement was just :[ Kaori has won me over, I'm now a fan. She's fantastic to watch, so powerful, fast, enticing, and the program is over before one even realizes it. Too bad about the mistake, and I thought she should have had higher PCS. I felt that way even more strongly for Rika K, who really was robbed on PCS. Even Verner, who did commentating for our TV channel, said Rika deserved better PCS. Despite that one mistake, she was breathtaking, and that axel combo was beautiful. I don't care about the judges' preference for the Russians - Rika's was the best performance of the night for me, followed by Kaori. If the judges showed her some more love on PCS, she could have had bronze. And IMO, she should have, mistakes aside. :/

ramed

On the Ice
Country
Russia
Ah btw... A promising newbie Ekaterina Ryabova of Azerbaijan had truly excellent FS but was totally unfairly robbed of PCS. Such is life for the newbies of small feds :(

rollerblade

Record Breaker
You will never never convince me that Evgenia's tango deserved higher PCS than Satoko's. This was the first time there was a direct comparison between the two and just... no. Without even taking into account Medo's slow, labored turns in the step sequence, from an artistic viewpoint Satoko's program is on another level entirely both in composition and performance.

Just like Kevin Aymoz, Satoko is amazing in stuff that doesn't get reward [enough]. It's like they don't even care about choreography details and musical timings anymore.

Yes the jumps aren't high, but jump height doesn't seem to hurt the men. Someone made a spreadsheet for the men's jumps height/distance and their corresponding GOE, based on that Ice Scope data from the SP, and it's sorta amusing to read.

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
Loena Hendrickx was undermarked on her spins. What did she receive, only +1s and +2s ? Those spins deserve at least +3s and +4s ! Maybe I’m wrong and she received higher than I believe. Anyone have a link to her protocols?

GGFan

Record Breaker
So all Russian podium in the end! Looks like we will have the same next year too.

I'm sure the politicking by the other feds has already begun. No way will they allow it to happen for several years. The powers that be do not really like it when any one country is dominating.

Silvia451

Record Breaker
Country
Romania
Zagi was on fire. :love:

I feel sorry for Rika, I hoped for a bronze medal, but the final result is fair. She has a bright future anyway.

Icey

Record Breaker
In the FS, in the top ten, there was only one Ur called and that was for Med's 2A. How likely is that scenario really?

Lechat

On the Ice
Country
France
It’s a pity no japanese lady on the podium but the top three skaters deserve their medal.

Elisabet wouaaaaaaw she landed her quadruple salchow and a clean quad to boot very impressive for a senior. :clapper:

I’m happy for zhenia, the two times world champion made a come back. She was in a fighting mode until the end and she did it. Knowing how her saison was difficult she deserves her bronze medal. :agree2:

My queen Alina no matter what you’re still shining like a diamond on the ice. I was so worried because national and european championships were upside down but you showed us your amazing strength and once again you reached the top. Arigato Alina we are so proud of you. :bow::yahoo:

Rika remains me of Alina last year when she won everything except worlds. She’s a very talented young skater and if she didn’t pop her 3A in the short she would stand on the podium. It was her first worlds, no wonder she was nervous and she did well in the free. This saison I saw her like Alina’s greatest rival. Good job Rika :2thumbs:

kaori, she was also nervous and I love her program so much, she was a delight to watch if only she didn’t pop her flip. She skated so well in the short and did only one mistake in the free :love:

Ah Satoko, my lovely and beautiful Satoko, you did great. She’s so majestic and gracefull I would give her the elegant prize longine. :luv17:

And Sofia, I like this girl she’s so lovely and dynamic. I’m sure she will improve, she was consistent this saison and she’s the reigning european champion. :cool2:

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
In the FS, in the top ten, there was only one Ur called and that was for Med's 2A. How likely is that scenario really?[/QUOTE

The UR was obvious in real-time, with the snow flying up, so I guess the technical panel couldn't ignore it.

ramed

On the Ice
Country
Russia
So all Russian podium in the end! Looks like we will have the same next year too.
I'm sure the politicking by the other feds has already begun. No way will they allow it to happen for several years. The powers that be do not really like it when any one country is dominating.
Not to worry, it's only we who know Elizabeth is Russian but ISU doesn't know about that :)

andromache

Record Breaker

Weird....I could've sworn that Elisabet skates for Kazakhstan and has always skated for Kazakhstan internationally. Did they mix up the flags?

whatif

Medalist
Weird....I could've sworn that Elisabet skates for Kazakhstan and has always skated for Kazakhstan internationally. Did they mix up the flags?

potato=patata.

P.S: Has she ever foot step in Kazakhstan? Unless to collect her passport and even that might have been mailed to her Moscow home address.

TheBallerina

#teamtutberidze
Record Breaker
I want to say a huge "Congratulations!" to all our 3 medalists, because they all went through a lot the past seasons and overcame many difficulties to win these well-deserved medals!

Alina was inspiring today, and her entire fight during this season, who culminated with this Worlds title is also inpiring and motivational. It was a hard post-Olympic season for her, but our Olympic Champion did not give up, continued to persevere, motivated but always kind and humble, and now she is a Worlds Champion, too. She was Carmen today, and she deserved this title, undeniable she was the best in this competition. Also, her save on the 3Lz+3Lo combo, after that deep-edge Lutz landing, is insane. How she added that 3Lo, her strong mind and skill, proved once again that she can be tough when it matters, and it reminds me a bit of her Olympics save.

Lil'Bet...that 4S :eeking::eeking: Amazing, like her entire development during this season. She grew so much, and I am very happy for her. :hap10:

Evgenia had a great competition, and she is beginning to look again like her old self. I am sure she will continue to improve, and I think many surprises are still to come next season. A well-deserved medal, for her performances, but also for her ambition and power that she proved during the past months. :clapper: