Worlds: Ladies FS | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Worlds: Ladies FS

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Hmmmm....

Didn’t the Russian Fed force LilBet to leave Eteri because LilBet skates for Kazakhstan? And leading up to the Olys, they wanted Eteri to train Russian skaters?

So she’s Russian when we want her to be Russian, except when she’s not? I don’t think so, Tim.:laugh:

LilBet earned three spots for Kazakhstan. She skates for Kazakhstan. All the spin in the world can’t take away that this is a proud moment for Kazakhstan.

Good for her:agree:

sailormoon

On the Ice
Country
Japan
Some fans said Evgenia Medvedeva was done and a question about it was asked at the press conference. I'm happy to see that she proved them wrong. The last-minute selection of Medvedeva to the Russian national team was also legitimized. Radionova predicted that if Kihira makes some mistakes, Russian ladies will have a chance. Her prediction also came true. If Kihira had landed three triple axels cleanly, she could have won. Alina Zagitova and Evgenia Medvedeva previously skated at the venue and earned their best scores, which may have given them some confidence. Kihira had a problem with adjusting to the main ice rink.

Ladies press conference: When asked about the fans who stated online that Alina Zagitova and Evgenia Medvedeva were done after not achieving top results this season, @JannyMedvedeva responded: "I will keep this brief. World medals prove we are not done." #WorldFigure2019

moriel

Record Breaker
Hmmmm....

Didn’t the Russian Fed force LilBet to leave Eteri because LilBet skates for Kazakhstan? And leading up to the Olys, they wanted Eteri to train Russian skaters?

So she’s Russian when we want her to be Russian, except when she’s not? I don’t think so, Tim.:laugh:

LilBet earned three spots for Kazakhstan. She skates for Kazakhstan. All the spin in the world can’t take away that this is a proud moment for Kazakhstan.

Its not like the fans were chasing her away prior to sochi.
For russians, she is "one of ours" regardless of what country she skates for. Same logic as when we cheer for the israely skaters with russian roots, or for ukrainian skaters.

andromache

Record Breaker
For russians, she is "one of ours" regardless of what country she skates for. Same logic as when we cheer for the israely skaters with russian roots, or for ukrainian skaters.

Then why have there been so many Russians online claiming that Evgenia is not really Russian? Very strange. I have also not seen any Russians claiming Elisabet until now which is odd as well.

Well, when people complain that Russia should have more than 3 ladies' spots at Worlds, I will be sure to remind them of Elisabet and the 2 other spots she earned for Kazakhstan. 6 spots total for the Russian ladies!

NoviceFan

Triple Something-Triple Looping
Medalist
Then why have there been so many Russians online claiming that Evgenia is not really Russian? Very strange. I have also not seen any Russians claiming Elisabet until now which is odd as well.

Well, when people complain that Russia should have more than 3 ladies' spots at Worlds, I will be sure to remind them of Elisabet and the 2 other spots she earned for Kazakhstan. 6 spots total for the Russian ladies!

:laugh: TRUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

What @Andromache said; then why the vitriol lodged against Zhenya when she dared to go to Canada for a coach? And comments that she is not Russian?

I have absolutely no problem with pride in one's ancestry or background. I can be proud of Keegan Messing's American background. But he does not skate for America, he skates for Canada. And when he wins, it's a win for Canada. And I have no problem with that and would actually be a little ashamed of myself to try to claim it as some sort of victory for the US. :shrug:

Alex65

Final Flight
Country
Russia

Useless. They do not understand it.:noshake:

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
The technical controller is.
And, of course, the venue is.

It's fine - every country has home ice inflation. The general consensus is that Japan is less prone to bias and home inflation for their skaters, but so far this Worlds isn't exactly upholding that. But at least the final results as far as placements go (in the ladies) is what it should be, IMO.

Who is saying Japan is less prone to bias. After all, that is not Japan's problem at all. Its an unwritten rule in every sports competition ever existed to give a little boost to home athletes and judges will always do that we like it or not. It's a 'little gift' for the country which organized the whole competition and for being a 'good host', just that. That 'boost' is sometimes 'enough', sometime is not... Considering my highlights, beside 4S, 3A, Alina and Zhenya raised to the ocasion and majority of ladies skating great, my bigest highlight is Japanese public who was rooting for Zhenya, Alina and LilBet even medal for their country was on the line. They deserved the medal for that, and in my heart Japan did medal in this ladies competiton thanks to their audience :bow:

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Who is saying Japan is less prone to bias. After all, that is not Japan's problem at all. Its an unwritten rule in every sports competition ever existed to give a little boost to home athletes and judges will always do that we like it or not. It's a 'little gift' for the country which organized the whole competition and for being the 'good host', just that. That 'boost' is sometimes 'enough', sometime is not... Considering my highlights, beside 4S, 3A, Alina and Zhenya raised to the ocasion and majority of ladies skating great, my bigest highlight is Japanese public who was rooting for Alina and LilBet even medal for their country was on the line. They deserved the medal for that, and in my heart Japan did medal in this ladies competiton thanks to their audience :biggrin:

Long live the Japanese public who are supportive of all skaters. It's not for nothing all skaters enjoy competing in this country.

Deripashka

On the Ice
Hmmmm....

She is whats in Russia and Asia is called Rossian.

GGFan

Record Breaker
If anyone told me a year ago that people would be fighting on this board over who could claim Tursynbaeva I would have laughed in their face. Reality is much better than fiction though :laugh2:

Maria Anna

Rinkside
Alina: I love seeing her happy and healthy. She was the best today and she totally deserved to win the gold medal but those PCS :rolleye::palmf:

Elizabeth: I can't connect with her skating and I probably never will. On the other hand, her 4S was good and I'm happy for Kazakhstan :)

Evgenia: So happy to see her on the podium. After everything she's been through Zhenya really deserved to win a medal. I hope she keeps improving and winning :luv17:

Rika: My heart aches for Rika. It was tough to watch her because I was hoping for her to win. She made a bit of comeback but unfortunately it wasn't perfect like it used to be. Still, she is very young and she has an amazing future.

Seeing no Japanese skater on the podium was shocking and unbelievable. They tried their best but sadly it wasn't their day. :sad4:

natsulian

Final Flight
Every lady put their blood, sweat, and tears into those Free performances and it was stunning and empowering to witness.

Mariah - After everything that’s happened, Bell came out and performed what was one of her best Free programs. The emotion, the transitions, and the atmosphere were divine. Cannot wait to see her develop even further next season.

Bradie - After a series of defeats, Bradie showed up and put the gauntlet down for anyone challenging her placement as the #1 American lady in figure skating. We have not seen her perform that way since the Shorf at 4CC.

Elizabet - WHAT A LADY! History made and the way the crowd roared was insane. She’s definitely a household name now.

Zagitova - Not only did she have one of her first clean Free programs in a long time, she delivered the goods and showed why she’s the reigning Olympic Champion.

Evgenia - A warrior, fighter, and truly one of the most inspiring people in figure skating. She was BORN to skate and let’s hope she does so for a very long time.

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
What a fantastic ladies' event this was. The top 10 were all brilliant! I can't remember that ever happened before.

So glad for Alina. What a fighter. After Europeans I wasn't sure her nerves could handle it, but I was wrong!! Well deserved.

The drama for 2nd to 5th place was intense. If I could decide I would have the results reversed with 2nd Sakamoto, then Kihara, Medvedeva, Tursynbaeva. But that is just my opinion. There really wasn't anything between them. But if only Kaori had landed that 3F...

I don't understand this PCS overscoring debate. C'mon guys, the girls deserved it. They were all fab.

I would also like to give a gold medal to the Japanese audience. They rooted for everyone! That's sportmanship at highest level. Well done Japan!!:luv17:

moriel

Record Breaker

Basically because she said her home is elsewhere, while LiLbet clearly says her home is in Moscow.
(No, its NOT because Zhenya is coached by a forein coach or does not train at russian soil. We have told it many times, but you guys appearently came up with some explanation and stick to it for some reason. But then, Ovechkin is not considered "not really russian". All the russian coaches who work in USA are not considered "not really russian".)

Georgya

On the Ice
What @Andromache said; then why the vitriol lodged against Zhenya when she dared to go to Canada for a coach? And comments that she is not Russian?

I have absolutely no problem with pride in one's ancestry or background. I can be proud of Keegan Messing's American background. But he does not skate for America, he skates for Canada. And when he wins, it's a win for Canada. And I have no problem with that and would actually be a little ashamed of myself to try to claim it as some sort of victory for the US. :shrug:

If american, canadian or french fans say/ do something bad usually here they are excused as being one bad apple in the bunch. If a few stupid russians say Medvedeva is not russian anymore you all react here as if the entire country rejected her. doublespeak :palmf:

Russia played a heavy role in Elizabet's career, she knows that and russian fans love her. I would be proud of that!

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
If american, canadian or french fans say/ do something bad usually here they are excused as being one bad apple in the bunch. If a few stupid russians say Medvedeva is not russian anymore you all react here as if the entire country rejected her. doublespeak :palmf:

Russia played a heavy role in Elizabet's career, she knows that and russian fans love her. I would be proud of that!

As did Canada, with both Elizabet's and Evgenia's careers,...we are equally proud of both.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

If what you are trying to say to me is that only a few bad Russian fans are calling Med a traitor and claiming that she is not Russian, then that's cool:cool:

I have never (that I remember) tried to excuse any American, Canadian or other fans calling their own skaters "not from their country", so the comment about doublespeak would not apply to my post.

As I said, I completely being understand being proud of someone's heritage. We love you, LilBet, we're so glad you won a medal for Kazakhstan! No problem.

It's trying to take away another country's accomplishment by claiming as one's own that makes me wonder. And as I said, as an American, I would be ashamed to do it with the skaters born and raised in the US who represent other countries.

Makes no sense to me. :scratch3:

Last edited:

Fluture

Record Breaker
I think it‘s best to ignore some bitter people who have nothing left to say than go back to old arguments that were used countless times before by naysayers this season and have neither logic nor reason behind them. Ultimately, what they think luckily doesn‘t matter at all. ;)

That being said:

What an event! I have seldomly seen such an amazing field. The last two groups were outstanding! Some thoughts:

Alina: What a performance. Not perfect (there were actually some uncalled URs, like in the second combo) but she delivered when it counted. Best lady of the night. Well deserved. I hope she gets something more modern to skate to next season because I don‘t think these programs helped her show her full potential artistically yet. But we have to congratulate this girl. What she did was outstanding. The German commentator said: These championships won‘t be decided by the legs but the head. And I agree. She didn‘t let her nerves get to her. Well done.

Elizabet: Well. I will never be a fan of her skating. She does nothing for me. But credit where credit is due. That 4S was unbelievable. I had a feeling she‘d land it and Worlds but was still surprised when she actually did. She made history and I‘m happy for Kazakhstan because their lady just helped them get three spots and made history (again!) as being the first female skater to land on the podium at Worlds.

Zhenya: She was the highlight for me. What this girl went through... and she managed to come out on top. To everyone who doubted her (and still do): show them your bronze medal at Worlds, Zhenya. They won‘t be quiet but they will make themselves sound ridiculous, trying to find something bad in what she just pulled off. After IdF and the SP at Nationals, it looked like there would be no coming back from this. Well, there wasn‘t only a comeback but two clean programs and a season‘s best of 223, beating her old one by a whopping 19 points. And all that with an injury again! Talk about courage. She‘s not perfect, she still has lots to improve but what this girl has are determination and a fighting spirit. And one should certainly never underestimate that.

Rika: sigh... Even though I couldn‘t be happier for Evgenia, this is sad. She went into this competition undefeated this season, with the expectations all on her, on home ice. It was just too much, too soon. The 1A in the SP cost her the podium. Which is a shame because it was SO close. But she‘s young, she‘ll come back stronger next year and she‘s got many chances to win these World Championships. Her FS is still a masterpiece and I will rewatch her NHK performance during the off-season as one of the highlights of the season!

Kaori: oh dear. That one flip. Honestly, I‘d seriously thought she might win this before Worlds. She could have come close, the pop cost her the medal and that‘s sad. She‘s not my favorite but I think there‘s no way to not love those jumps, the flawless 3Lo, the axel technique. I also really like her FS. Her Helsinki performance was a highlight, just like Rika‘s NHK. I hope we‘ll see joy and relief like she had there again next season. She has the potential to be on top.

Satoko Miyahara: aaah, my girl. I love her SP, everytime I see it I could cry. This time I felt something was missing a bit. Not as much intensity as usually. She‘s still one of the strongest in PCS, so it‘s a shame that they continue to be low and even more so now that she‘s not Japan #1 anymore. But she got no UR called here at all! This is probably due to the quite lenient panel (what were they doing this competition, like seriously) but it must be a triumph for her. Programs to rewatch: Skate America, both, but mostly her SP.

Eunsoo: She went through a couple of hard days. Considering that, she performed really well. Shame for that fall on the 3F in the end, everything was going so well. I don‘t know what will happen following all this chaos but I wish her only the best and luck because she‘s an amazing skater and person and with her talent, she can only improve further.

Mariah: Well, I like Mariah‘s skating. I won‘t comment on the incident because we still have no official comment from either her or Eunsoo, I believe, but she really gave it her everything today and it showed. Clean skate and lots of emotions. Her FS is beautiful.

Sofia: clean again! She had a great season, better than anyone would have thought. Her debut at Worlds was good, too. Unfortunately, due to the sheer quality of most skaters, she was a bit overshadowed here. She seemed more nervous, even though she really relaxed after the last jumping pass and performed. Still, I think her moment was at Europeans this season and that‘s okay. It was hard to beat the performance and excitement she showed there anyway. It was still a respectable outing and she proved again why she was at Worlds in the first place.

Bradie: She improved a lot compared to last season! I still don‘t get any emotions from her skating but it‘s at least a more exciting packaging than what she did the year before. This was the best performance she‘s had this year. A score like this... could have medaled, had the ladies not all been SO good. Definitely a great moment for her.

Some other moments I really liked: Seeing Loena again was good, it‘s a shame she missed a lot of the season due to injury. Still not her best but good considering what she went through. Ekaterina Ryabova‘s happy tears! I‘m glad Gabby seems to be healthy and happy and she‘s on her way back. Not perfect at all but considering it‘s the second big competition of the season - not bad at all.

Overall, the ladies were just amazing. They really showed their best out there!

Georgya

On the Ice
If what you are trying to say to me is that only a few bad Russian fans are calling Med a traitor and claiming that she is not Russian, then that's cool:cool:

I have never (that I remember) tried to excuse any American, Canadian or other fans calling their own skaters "not from their country", so the comment about doublespeak would not apply to my post.

As I said, I completely being understand being proud of someone's heritage. We love you, LilBet, we're so glad you won a medal for Kazakhstan! No problem.

It's trying to take away another country's accomplishment by claiming as one's own that makes me wonder. And as I said, as an American, I would be ashamed to do it with the skaters born and raised in the US who represent other countries.

Makes no sense to me. :scratch3:

Can you prove that there are hordes of Russian fans who did that? Cause that's your implication. It's not a secret that the most hateful you are the louder you seem. I don't think russians here tried to belittle Kazahstan or Elizabet. They were saying it more tongue-in-cheek. It's not so nice how you all jumped on them like that.