Worlds 2020 spots | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Worlds 2020 spots

Ziotic

Medalist
Are they? I thought that only top 10 skater can earn 2 spot - and Daleman was 11th. So..

It’s not too 10, it’s a total of 28 point for your best two skaters. If someone makes the free, Alaine, they get max 16pts, Gabby was 11. So 16+11=27. This retaining 2 spots

Manitou

Medalist
Let’s post them please!

Ladies 3 spots: RUS, JPN, KAZ

This is the funniest nonsense of ISU. Elizabet has practically nothing to do with Kazakhstan and now she gave them a huge trouble of having to find two more skaters for the next year.
As I said many times - applying one year results to the next one is the most ridiculous rule of ISU. It had maybe "some" sense in the 6.0 era, but now it's completely baseless. The spots should be assigned based on the current season points only. WC is the last major competition of the year, there are plenty of competitions to earn points prior to WC, and this idiotic rule should go away for good.

kenboy123

On the Ice
This is the funniest nonsense of ISU. Elizabet has practically nothing to do with Kazakhstan and now she gave them a huge trouble of having to find two more skaters for the next year.
As I said many times - applying one year results to the next one is the most ridiculous rule of ISU. It had maybe "some" sense in the 6.0 era, but now it's completely baseless. The spots should be assigned based on the current season points only. WC is the last major competition of the year, there are plenty of competitions to earn points prior to WC, and this idiotic rule should go away for good.

Girls aged 15-21 from Kazakhstan start sending in your resumes...lol...

VenusHalley

Final Flight
No. Selling spots would not be acceptable.

Yeah. I can imagine big fed bribing judges into lowballing small fed skaters in events. So we'd eventually end up with Russo-Japanese tournament with several Americans. No, thanks.

VenusHalley

Final Flight

except for that teeny weeny detail of competing for that country.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
Yeah. I can imagine big fed bribing judges into lowballing small fed skaters in events. So we'd eventually end up with Russo-Japanese tournament with several Americans. No, thanks.

Yes, and if a federation had only a skater that barely made the minimums for Worlds, they might not assign them and sell their spot instead. That wouldn't be fair.

Manitou

Medalist
So we'd eventually end up with Russo-Japanese tournament with several Americans. No, thanks.

Add Canadians, Chinese, some Italians and French, plus some occasional meteoric diversity from other countries, and I am perfectly OK with it.
That's pretty much how it is with many other sports. Much bigger than figure skating.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
As I said before, I'm biased when it comes to Aiza Mambekova.

But, I am getting really angry with the way so many of you are dismissing her and the other Kazakh girls as if they don't exist!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Like, apart from Aiza in Seniors, there were 4 Kazakh girls who competed in the Junior GP series this season, all of whom will be age eligable for Seniors next season.[SUP]*[/SUP] And in addition to them, there are 2 more that competed in Junior GP's last season.

Admittedly, one of last year's girls, Zhansaya Adykhanova, has now switched to Pairs (where she is actually doing very well, e.g. finishing 4[SUP]th[/SUP] at the recent Universiade). But that still leaves at least 5 candidates alongside Mambekova who can go all out to try to get the Minimum TES's within the next 12 months:

1. Aiza MAMBEKOVA (ISU Bio; Rink Results Bio)
  2. Zhansaya ADYKHANOVA (ISU Bio; Rink Results Bio) (if she fancies a crack at it)
  3. Veronika SHEVELEVA (ISU Bio; Rink Results Bio)
  4. Anastassiya KHVAN (ISU Bio; Rink Results Bio)
  5. Alana TOKTAROVA (ISU Bio; Rink Results Bio)
  6. Azhar ZHUMAKHANOVA (ISU Bio; Rink Results Bio)
  7. Diana SULEIMENOVA (ISU Bio; Rink Results Bio)[SUP]*[/SUP]

(Ordered by age)

:cheer: ALL THE BEST TO THEM!!! :cheer:

CaroLiza_fan

[SUP]*[/SUP] = Actually, I just realised that Suleimenova is a week too young to be Senior eligible next season. :disapp:

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
I disagree with the selling idea, but the 'rolling over' of spots doesn't sound too bad. For example, what if they could 'roll' the spots over within an Olympic cycle? This could encourage feds to invest in their skaters more now that they have a chance at Worlds and, ultimately, the Olympics :)

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Ice dance
3 spots: Russia (+1, at long last), USA, Canada
2 spots: France, Italy (-1)*

The top three federations are so dominant in ice dance that there are actually more federations with three spots than with two. Russia/USA/Canada accounted for eight of the top ten placements, a situation that isn't going to get any better next year when there's an additional Russian team.

* third spot went unused this year.

Men
3 spots: USA, Japan
2 spots: China (+1), Russia (-1), Italy (+1), Czech Republic*

Israel, Canada, Latvia and Uzbekistan (which didn't use either of its two spots) drop to one.

* second spot went unused this year.

Kittosuni

Medalist
USA
Men 3
Ladies 2
Pairs 2
Dance 3

Russia

Men 2
Ladies 3
Pairs 3
Dance 3

Canada
Men 1
Ladies 2
Pairs 2
Dance 3

Japan
Men 3
Ladies 3
Dance 1
Pairs 0 (do they even have a team competitive enough to get the minimum score?)

China
Men 2
Ladies 1
Pairs 3
Dance 1

France
Men 1
Ladies 1
Pairs 2
Dance 3

Italy
Men 2
Ladies 1
Pairs 2
Dance 2

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Japan
Pairs 0 (do they even have a team competitive enough to get the minimum score?)
It's impossible to go to zero. Every country is always allowed to send one team, assuming they have the minimums (which Suzaki/Kihara do, he was just injured and couldn't compete here).

France
Dance 3
France does not have three dance spots. 1+14 = 15. Lauriault/Le Gac needed to be twelfth or higher.

pearly

Record Breaker

Why is it trouble? They can just release those spots. Larger feds have released spots, even Olympic ones.

nadster

Final Flight
KAZ will use all available spots. Basically anyone who meets the TES standards will go to worlds.

One year KAZ earned 14 JGP spots and KAZ filled all of them arguably most of them were of juvenile standard.

MaHa75

On the Ice
Girls aged 15-21 who have not yet competed for Russia can start sending in your resumes...lol...
I agree...kaz probably will fill all spots with russians girls. Like france with Kuzmenko (who doesnt speak a word in france), like Austria with her participant in jw (dont remember the name of the russian girl) and so on...litle bit sad

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Canada has taken a hit at the last couple of World championships losing spots in everything but Ice Dance but it's to be expected after fielding the strongest Canadian figure skating team in history at the Olympics last year. Good thing W/P came back or the 3rd dance spot would have been lost too most likely. It will take a few years to rebuild depth and maybe more then an Olympic cycle but the talent will be there but it will take time. Just look at the weird Worlds the US had last year on one hand they won two medals including the World championship in men's but also lost two spots but they regained one of them this year.