Inserts and control | Golden Skate

Inserts and control

zjamic

Rinkside
So, when I first got my Edea skates I noticed a horrible pain sensation in my arches to the point that my skate tech, when I was still at school, put me in Superfeet Carbon. Today for no reason, other than my feet slightly aching due to incredibly wide feet, I decided to switch back to the original Edea insoles. The first thing I noticed, besides that they do not offer any arch support, was that I felt shorter in them - by shorter I mean closer to the actual sole of the boot; after I laced up it felt like my ankle actually matched up with the ankle area of the boot instead of being off (higher up) by a few centimeters. Obviously, I skated around and felt more grounded, like I wasn't teatering forward or high up because I usually feel like most of my weight is carried near the soles of my feet. I went through a lesson fine in them, aside from the no support problem that lead to some nice cramps and slight foot tenderness after skating. However, I felt more in control of my moments despite it feeling weird to be "lower" in my boots, and I did wipe out a few times and had to correct my posture for spins, jumps, and turns.

So, does/did anyone else experience this between different inserts? If so, would you recommend staying with the Superfeet or changing to new brand (if you could comment some suggestions that would be nice).

DanseMacabre

Final Flight
Country
Iceland
My skate tech hates the Edea insoles because they're uselessly flimsy and recommended Superfeet Yellow for me when I had similar pain in my foot because of high arches. The Superfeet do have a very pronounced lift to them which can affect alignment but what I did was have the tech heat mold the boot by hand while I was wearing them with the inserts (originally, he'd molded them with the regular Edea insoles in). He also punched them out to align with my navicular accessory bone which was higher up in the boot because of the inserts and that helped a lot.

That's the only brand I've tried with my Edeas but maybe someone else will have another suggestion. Good luck!

Sunshine247

On the Ice
So, when I first got my Edea skates I noticed a horrible pain sensation in my arches to the point that my skate tech, when I was still at school, put me in Superfeet Carbon. Today for no reason, other than my feet slightly aching due to incredibly wide feet, I decided to switch back to the original Edea insoles. The first thing I noticed, besides that they do not offer any arch support, was that I felt shorter in them - by shorter I mean closer to the actual sole of the boot; after I laced up it felt like my ankle actually matched up with the ankle area of the boot instead of being off (higher up) by a few centimeters. Obviously, I skated around and felt more grounded, like I wasn't teatering forward or high up because I usually feel like most of my weight is carried near the soles of my feet. I went through a lesson fine in them, aside from the no support problem that lead to some nice cramps and slight foot tenderness after skating. However, I felt more in control of my moments despite it feeling weird to be "lower" in my boots, and I did wipe out a few times and had to correct my posture for spins, jumps, and turns.

So, does/did anyone else experience this between different inserts? If so, would you recommend staying with the Superfeet or changing to new brand (if you could comment some suggestions that would be nice).

I’ve tried the superfeet but had a similar experince with them being too thick. My girls and I have super high arches so we need insoles in all our shoes. I use a super thin and supportive insole I got off of amazon called powertech slimtech 3/4 length. It’s a bit padded with an arch and a piece that wraps around your heel but super slim so doesn’t effect the fit of shoes and for my girls, their skates. My girls put them over the insoles in the skate in fact. We use the 3/4 length because of wide forfeet and slim heels. There are better options than the superfeet IMO. So there are other options out there worth experimenting with. Amazon has a good selection if the slimtech brand has an arch that’s too high. If you search for insoles for plantar fasciitis you’ll see more options for an arch that’s not super high. HTH!

VegMom

On the Ice
If you just need an arch support, you can get just that and put it in the skate without a full insole. That might let you have the best of both worlds.