Ice Dance Technical Meeting (requirements for 2019-20) | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Ice Dance Technical Meeting (requirements for 2019-20)

zebobes

Final Flight
They're going to fix the problem by giving even more positive GOE?? They need to go back to +3 or -3. The more positive GOE available, the more the levels of the elements don't matter. The top teams just get their scores padded even if they don't hit the top levels.

Because Ice Dance usually is more clean, the lower negative GOE doesn’t really get used anyway... so it makes some sense, but not that much sense.

Koatterce

On the Ice
Country
Canada
They're going to fix the problem by giving even more positive GOE?? They need to go back to +3 or -3. The more positive GOE available, the more the levels of the elements don't matter. The top teams just get their scores padded even if they don't hit the top levels.

If you look at the scoring in the FS, only 4 teams got any marks with negative GOE. for 3 of those, it was just one or two -1's on an element that overall had positive GOE, and the 4th team had a fall on their stepseq (got a -4, a -2, and the rest -3) plus wonky twizzles (GOE 0 to -2)

If you look at the SP, some of the lower level teams got negative GOE. For all teams except one, it was -1 or -2, and that one exception was a set of botched twizzles that ended up being base level for the man (GOE -2 to -4).

I don't even know what you'd have to do to get a -5 in dance... probably have one partner fall and not complete the element on OF stepseq or twizzles, or drop the lady on a lift, but none of these are common occurrences

If you look at the top teams, almost all their GOEs are 3, 4, 5, with the occasional 2 by one judge, 0-2 on wobbly elements (i.e. Weaver's twizzles in the FD), and slightly more 2s on some elements for the teams on the cusp of the top (e.g. G/P)

The issue isn't with GOE, I'd be fine with the expansion. But the real issue is that the BV's of the various levels aren't scaled properly relative to GOE (not even going to mention the ridiculously lenient level calling in the RD...)

Casual

On the Ice
The issue isn't with GOE, I'd be fine with the expansion. But the real issue is that the BV's of the various levels aren't scaled properly relative to GOE (not even going to mention the ridiculously lenient level calling in the RD...)

Makes it easier to cheat, though. :laugh:

Giselle

Medalist
Do you guys think Bollywood is allowed? I would be cool to have something not in English.

We're getting excited by the choices but realistically I think it's going to be the same as usual :laugh:

I looked quickly at the top teams in 2013-2014 and there were already so many musicals used when the Finnstep was the pattern of the SD :

- Davis/White : My fair lady
- Virtue/Moir : Not really "Musical" based but Cheek to Cheek could be conspired from a musical?
- Cappellini/Lanotte : 42nd Street
- Weaver/Poje : 42nd Street
- Pechalat/Bourzat : Big Spender from "Sweet Charity" then changed to. "Roxie" from Chicago
- Ilinykh/Katsalapov : Bei Mir Bistu Shein from "I Would If I Could"
- Chock/Bates: Annie Get Your Gun
- Papadakis/Cizeron: Burlesque
- Guignard/Fabbri : "Cabaret" and "Fosse"

illyria

Spectator
Or readjust the BV difference between the levels. The difference between last season and this one is not just the bigger GOE scale, but also that they decreased the point difference between levels. It's the combination of both changes that are really a problem imo.

The difference between levels is actually only 0.5 now

pearly

Record Breaker
I completely agree that we'll probably be saved from a deluge of Moulin Rouge and Phantom due to the pattern dance requirements.

I'm sure we'll see a few My Fair Lady programs.

I've had Guys and Dolls in my head for much of the afternoon, and I think it could really work for someone.

And for that I thank them with all my heart.

"ALL selected music should be recognized as one from the following Rhythms: Quickstep, Blues, March, Polka, Foxtrot, Swing, Charleston, Waltz."

That said, we did have Blues and Swing only two years ago, but mixed with hip hop.

And I worry every other program will be a My Fair Lady or Fledermaus.

gkelly

Record Breaker
So which musicals have a good Quickstep, Swing, or Charleston selection? That would be the first place to start in selecting music.

Finding foxtrots for juniors will be relatively easy.

Lamente Ariane

Skating Skills -5, Fashion +3, Camp +4
Record Breaker
I'm no expert on rhythms but I'd think you could get a few songs from the Cole Porter catalogue (Anything Goes, Kiss Me Kate, etc) to fit Quickstep, Swing or Charleston.

Andrea82

Medalist
In answering a question by Tim Koleto towards the end of the meeting, they say musicals without lyrics such as Lord of the Dance and Stomp are ok too.

slider11

Medalist
I hope a team will use Hamilton :agree:

I was thinking about Hamilton too. There is a song, "Burn", where Anjelica laments the philandering of her husband. It's soulful but has some dramatic changes in tempo and feeling.

I like Latin dances but after 2 years I won't miss all the red and black!

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I was thinking about Hamilton too. There is a song, "Burn", where Anjelica laments the philandering of her husband. It's soulful but has some dramatic changes in tempo and feeling.

I like Latin dances but after 2 years I won't miss all the red and black!

Eliza, not Angelica. :) I'm not sure Burn fits any of the required tempos, though. It's in 6/8 time, so it won't work for a waltz.

LaArdilla

Medalist
I scanned the thread and I think it hasn't been mentioned yet that...

ladies can now wear trousers!

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Here come all the Chicago programs that incorporate the same three annoying songs as this season. :bang:

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I scanned the thread and I think it hasn't been mentioned yet that...

ladies can now wear trousers!

I noticed that when I watched the meeting and then forgot to say anything! Yes please to some ladies in nice waistcoat-and-trouser combos - we're going to need some variation from flapper frocks for sure! :laugh: