Interview with Medvedeva after Worlds | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Interview with Medvedeva after Worlds

Amei

Record Breaker
This is such an insightful interview, thank you so much for translating it, this in particular stood out to me a lot;

I can't help but notice that Eteri's girls use a lot of makeup, there's nothing wrong with that and I never thought much about it, but now I hope it's not something enforced by her, being told you need to wear makeup from a young age it's not healthy for the mind.

They wear a lot of make-up on the ice - yes but that's fairly common for most skaters, off the ice we don't see a bunch of pictures of them looking like they put their makeup on with a putty knife.

bubblecherry

Final Flight
The way she talks about her previous eating habits so nonchalantly is really concerning. There's no use in blaming a singular person or a single training camp, but it's very clear that for Evgenia in particular, that training environment was really bad for her health.

I admire her honesty and I can only hope that by raising this issue and talking specifically about solutions, she can inspire others to have a healthier mindset about food and body image.

pesto

On the Ice
I hope she does actually have a talk with Meagan. She always looked very fit and strong on her vegan diet, and knows about competing at the top level of figure skating, and dealing with the difficulties a plant-based diet may bring while travelling.

And she seems like the sort of person who would really like to give advice!

colormyworld240

Medalist
Yeah, as a recovered anorexic and current psychologist, there are several aspects of the figure skating world that worry me, and the way disordered eating is accepted, considered normal and even encouraged is so alarming. I understand that there is a delicate balance between diet and weight in figure skating, however there is soooooo much more to health that needs to be considered than the number on the scale. I appreciate how Evgenia talks about now focusing on body fat to muscle ratios, and rationalising her thoughts about food, and taking a much more balanced and moderation-based approach. All things that you learn and develop in treatment for EDs. I will say that several of the young Russian Quadsters worry me in how frail they look, and whilst they are only young and yes some people are genetically small-framed, I don't think that is true of all of them - you only have to look at how much Zagitova has developed over the last year to see that she was very likely trying to suppress puberty. Some amazing and world-level skaters have been strong and powerful (examples that spring to mind are Kaetlyn Osmond, Wakaba Higuchi, Liza Tuktamysheva, even Tessa Virtue was generally much more athletic than other female ice dancers). Restriction and being chronically underweight may work for these girls in their teens, but I worry so much about the health implications- believe me having Osteoporosis in your spine in your early 20s is not fun!!!
But I digress, I'm glad that the move to Canada/Orser has produced such positive changes in Med, and I hope she continues to develop healthily in both body and mind!

It is ridiculous to bring Alina’s eating habits into this. Just because one or two (or evenb90%!) of skaters in one group have unhealthy relationships with food doesn’t mean every single one does. And the very definition of puberty is rapid changes in a body. So no, looking at what Alina looks like now vs. a year ago does not show that they are trying to suppresss puberty at all. She grew a lot because she went through puberty. Anyone with any ounce of understanding of morphological changes during puberty can tell you that. Just like we don’t attribute Gabby’s eating disorder to all of TCC pupils, let’s leave the other skaters out of it. It is not something that should be taken lightly.

Ulrica

On the Ice
"But" is a denial of what was said previously... :devil:

But means that after I read this interview that is something I actually thought about and therefore came to the conclusion that maybe it had something to do with their coaching team, which is lead by Eteri. But I wasn't aware of what Moriel mentioned about russian culture and the importance they place on women's looks when I wrote that. There's no need to twist people's words, my post wasn't that deep.

Erin9

On the Ice
My biggest take away is that Evgenia sounds like a very thoughtful young lady. The changes in her life in the last year seem to be what she needed personally and professionally to become the person she wanted. (And that goes beyond eating habits, though that’s certainly big). Good for her for recognizing that- and going for it.

Ophelia

Record Breaker
Come on, is anyone really shocked by what’s Medvedeva said in regards to her previous eating habits? We’ve all been speculating it on the boards nonstop. Only the willfully obtuse would be surprised.

fzztsimmons

On the Ice
It is ridiculous to bring Alina’s eating habits into this. Just because one or two (or evenb90%!) of skaters in one group have unhealthy relationships with food doesn’t mean every single one does. And the very definition of puberty is rapid changes in a body. So no, looking at what Alina looks like now vs. a year ago does not show that they are trying to suppresss puberty at all. She grew a lot because she went through puberty. Anyone with any ounce of understanding of morphological changes during puberty can tell you that. Just like we don’t attribute Gabby’s eating disorder to all of TCC pupils, let’s leave the other skaters out of it. It is not something that should be taken lightly.

I know it's not something that should be taken lightly. And nowhere did I say that the Eteri school was causing eating disorders, it may just be a correlation. However, considering what Medvedeva was saying about her past practices (whilst at Eteri's school) and her very disordered thoughts regarding weight/food it suggests to me that there is some link. And especially as many of the young quadsters are extremely tiny (and young) there may be a lot of unintentional/external pressure on other skaters to feel like they should go down that route and the only way they can do so is through restrictive and unhealthy practices.
However I also don't think it's only a russian thing either. In her interviews Gracie Gold talked a lot about feeling pressure to fit that delicate-princess image everyone thought she was. I also think Gabby Daleman struggles with the concept of not being a naturally tiny/delicate skater (hence the obvious photoshopping of her instagram images). So yes, whilst I don't think any one school is causing it's students to have EDs, the statements Evgenia made are concerning to me, and looking at the frames of the young girls throwing out all these quads also worries me. But anyway, I am glad that Evgenia is away from all of that and is learning a much more holistic and balanced view of health and weight that will be so much more beneficial for her in the future.

uhh

Medalist

Alina has literally talked about the daily weigh ins Eteri does and avoiding even drinking water because it makes her "bloated". Yulia also left the group with big problems around her eating habits. It seems evident that Eteri's focus is on her girls keeping there weigh super low, but not ensuring that they are doing it while also taking care of their physical or mental health.

VenusHalley

Final Flight
Alina has literally talked about the daily weigh ins Eteri does and avoiding even drinking water because it makes her "bloated". Yulia also left the group with big problems around her eating habits. It seems evident that Eteri's focus is on her girls keeping there weigh super low, but not ensuring that they are doing it while also taking care of their physical or mental health.

She also made that infamous statement about how puberty can be prevented by closing your mouth and not eating, making big deal about drinking "BAD sugary drink" out of disappointment of losing Euros last year (I honestly hope she got to have a freaking coke at the victory banquet without feeling bad about it).

I don't want to pass any judgements, but some of these statements reminds me of several anorectics I met.

I really hope Evgenia continues talking about importance of good nutrition of athletes (and people in general). If it prevents one little girl from starving herself, it would be worth it.

Georgya

On the Ice

Do you enjoy speculating? I just think is despicable. I'll wait to form an opinion on this matter until a skater cames publicly to accuse Eteri.

VenusHalley

Final Flight
Do you enjoy speculating? I just think is despicable. I'll wait to form an opinion on this matter until a skater cames publicly to accuse Eteri.

so if they never accuse her, it makes her practices alright? Just because some might have a class and don't enjoy mudslinging?

ETs are never fault of one person, but environment can be a huge contribute.

Georgya

On the Ice
so if they never accuse her, it makes her practices alright? Just because some might have a class and don't enjoy mudslinging?

I'm not gonna go on a witch-hunt just to be in line with the majority opinion in here. I'm waiting to make a judgment only with facts and public accusations, not speculations. Old students of Eteri are free to come forward. I'm not gonna be sorry for this. Comments on this forum proved to be incorrect and unfair in the past!

RobinA

On the Ice
Yeah, as a recovered anorexic and current psychologist, there are several aspects of the figure skating world that worry me, and the way disordered eating is accepted, considered normal and even encouraged is so alarming. I understand that there is a delicate balance between diet and weight in figure skating, however there is soooooo much more to health that needs to be considered than the number on the scale. I appreciate how Evgenia talks about now focusing on body fat to muscle ratios, and rationalising her thoughts about food, and taking a much more balanced and moderation-based approach. All things that you learn and develop in treatment for EDs. I will say that several of the young Russian Quadsters worry me in how frail they look, and whilst they are only young and yes some people are genetically small-framed, I don't think that is true of all of them - you only have to look at how much Zagitova has developed over the last year to see that she was very likely trying to suppress puberty. Some amazing and world-level skaters have been strong and powerful (examples that spring to mind are Kaetlyn Osmond, Wakaba Higuchi, Liza Tuktamysheva, even Tessa Virtue was generally much more athletic than other female ice dancers). Restriction and being chronically underweight may work for these girls in their teens, but I worry so much about the health implications- believe me having Osteoporosis in your spine in your early 20s is not fun!!!
But I digress, I'm glad that the move to Canada/Orser has produced such positive changes in Med, and I hope she continues to develop healthily in both body and mind!

Thank you for reiterating this. There seems to be an almost willful lack of understanding among many fans about what most of these ladies (and probably men to an extent) go through to control their weight in order to do the higher revolution jumps everyone is so anxious to see. The way I see it, if you are in favor of women doing quads you should understand the cost to the skater of what you want them to do. I also applaud Evgenia for actually being honest about this instead of doing the "Oh, I eat normally like everyone else" routine.

RobinA

On the Ice
I would be very shocked if this practice is limited to Eteri. In fact, we know it is not because skaters who have absolutely nothing to do with Eteri have come forward in the past who have discussed food problems. It remains that it is a rare female who is going to be able to compete at the current level without some serious limitations in how much they eat. Even if they don't develop actual eating problems that go beyond skating, it remains to be seen how their health is affected later in life. This is a problem for figure skating, not an Eteri problem.

colormyworld240

Medalist

You’ve completely missse the point just because no one accuses her doesn’t make her practices alright (if she is in fact at fault). However, it’s even more wrong to accuse her team of malpractice without any actual evidence to apply such a blanket accusation. The point is we do not know. People do not seem to understand how devastating and complex EDs are and it is not an accusation to just throw around.

As for the other comments, if you’re on the psychology field, you should know better than to assume EDs in other others. It is a medical diagnosis and not even an experienced physician would make such comments without knowing the athlete and heir family and personal histories. That is offensive to the field.

It’s not about who’s is correct or incorrect on this forum. The point is we do not know. And none of us have the knowledge and expertise to make any judgement (eating disorder or no eating disorder).