P.J. Kwong on Canada and World Podium | Page 2 | Golden Skate

P.J. Kwong on Canada and World Podium

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think Canada will be okay in pairs. They're just fine in dance and W/P potentially taking the season off will make the remaining teams, especially G/P who are sometimes criminally underscored, better off. They are at risk of losing their second spot in ladies this year. If they're truly focusing on the juniors, I'd say they have to put their money where their mouth is and we'll see what happens in a few seasons. Men's won't be saved on Gogolev's back alone, just like it's unfair to expect only Gabby to carry ladies. Getting Veronik and Aurora out there on the GP will hopefully help, but there is a clear pipeline problem right now. Maybe "panic" isn't the right word, but there's plenty of reason to be worried when you have both single skating disciplines at risk of only having one spot next year.
There also a good chance that Canada will lose a spot in Ice Dance too. W/P not retiring after 2018 and coming back for Worlds saved the 3rd spot this year but it looks like they won't be at Worlds next year meaning that another team is going to have to be at least top 8 at Worlds next season along with G/P and right now there is no other Canadian team ranked that high.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I think the worst part, at least on paper, for Skate Canada are the ladies, and pairs. There is lot of pontential very good skaters in men: Nguyen, Sadovski, Nadeau, Messing and Gogo later. In ladies it is only Gabby, Alaine and Aurora. The first 2 are not very reliable, and Aurora is a dark horse. Can they really deliver when needed?
In pairs there is only MT/M and possibly the new pair I/B

I think Canada needs a different type of approach. Figure skating is so expensive, no wonder the base is so thin. I think they need to either sponsor younger skaters or find a way to lower the price for young skaters. I personally know a few talented skaters with no means to continue.

I like that there is some positive though about Alaine because she has been consistently bad. I hope the new slew of Japanese and Russian ladies doesn't further bury her. Really hope Gabby can get it together.

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
If the judges stop crapping all over Piper and Paul and give them credit where credit is due, I think there’s a chance that G/P and F-B/S could retain three spots. Both finished in the top ten at worlds last year, and I strongly believe there’s a lot of potential for both teams to grow and improve within the next three seasons.

Somewhat off topic: does anyone else agree with me that “Vincent” was hypothetically ahead of its time? I hope G/P bring it back for 2022. It’s a fantastic free dance, more than worthy of the Olympic stage.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
If the judges stop crapping all over Piper and Paul and give them credit where credit is due, I think there’s a chance that G/P and F-B/S could retain three spots. Both finished in the top ten at worlds last year, and I strongly believe there’s a lot of potential for both teams to grow and improve within the next three seasons.

Somewhat off topic: does anyone else agree with me that “Vincent” was hypothetically ahead of its time? I hope G/P bring it back for 2022. It’s a fantastic free dance, more than worthy of the Olympic stage.

I agree with everything you are saying I just don't know if G and P will ever be accepted. They sadly maybe not even as accepte as bourne and kraatz. I rather doubt Canada can retain three spots especially if the Americans 2 or all 3 teams are ahead and with Russia apparently solidfiying two teams in the top five or six. If G and P can beat two American teams well then let's talk.