Which men's skater's artistry do you prefer? | Golden Skate

Which men's skater's artistry do you prefer?

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
I have to admit Nathan Chen is an amazing athlete and jumper as is Yuzuru Hanyu, but I prefer the artistry of Jason Brown and Keggan Messing who are both entertaining skaters in their own rights. It becomes a bit of a jump fest after awhile, but my hats off to both YH and NC for their amazing jumping abilities.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
My favs in the male division after my first year of following the sport are Uno, Messing, Brezina and Boyang. I also was impressed by that guy who skates for Georgia whose last name I will surely misspell. Hanyu just feels outside the human ability really. But Uno definetly is my fan focus.

I don’t think that one year is enough though, I got to gather more data... see more than four programs each. Looking forward to that.

I don’t get it what’s special about Brown though. Not my style I guess. Zhou, that one I do get.

ruffledgrouse

Record Breaker
Donovan Carrillo! I don't care that he didn't make it to the free, he's always so much fun :dance3:

But if we're talking the final group, Jason's my favorite as long as I close my eyes every time he jumps

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
The thread title :p

I think Jason and Keegan’s errors in this competition unfortunately did take away from the artistic side of their programs.

Not everyone has the same preferences. There seems to be a lot of ‘Nathan isn’t my favorite ...’ lately, which is honestly fine.

surimi

Onward and forward, Sota!
Record Breaker
Yuzuru Hanyu, 3 times Olympic Champion coming soon to Beijing. GOAT

What, he has confirmed he'd go on?

Not to completely hijack the thread: if the question is if there's anyone I prefer to Hanyu and Nathan, then for me, half and half. Hanyu is my top fave along with Sota, and then there's a gap and the rest of my favorites. There's actually noone I prefer *over* Hanyu. Nathan isn't a fave of mine yet. Maybe I'll find a way to his skating with time; it has happened to me with other skaters.

GGFan

Record Breaker
I enjoy all of the above. All of the skaters mentioned being something special to the table. Nathan and Yuzu definitely have style and artistry that go beyond their jumps. If they did less difficult content their artistry would stand out even more.

Clairecz

On the Ice
Country
Czech-Republic
JAVI :love:

And in my purely subjective opinion my preference is: JAVI >>>>> Matteo, Michal, Maxim, Sergei, Patrick > Misha, Donovan, Jason, Boyang, Kevin (and basically every other European skater) > Shoma > Nathan >>> Yuzuru >>>>>>>>>>>> Vincent, Jun

Yes, I'm a casual fan, even biased and don't care about technique or jumps at all.

QueenOfTheRoad

Final Flight
Country
Germany
In the past: Kulik, Abt, Lambiel and Buttle (and a big soft spot for Vlascenko, yeap, i am so old).
Now: Kolyada ( i just love his typical Russian ballet positions, long lines, pointed feet, pointed fingers, his individuality - you get it).

Sometimes i like the artistry of a skater in a program, but not in another. Typical for this is Aliev. I so love some of his programs and others i think were not suited to highlight his talents at all and just looks boring.

I find Messing very entertaining and i love to watch his programs, but i don't find him especially artistic.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I would say Jason and Keegan, at their core, are similar in that they love to perform for the audience and get a lot of energy performing before an audience. I'd like to see Keegan do a more introspective/introverted program next season to stretch himself.

I'll have more to say in another post, but just pointing out why I can see someone liking both of them even if their styles -- as far as programs and overall skating style--- are not super similar.

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Patrick Chan ;)

Currently : Shoma, Keegan for musicality and connection, Jason : i do not connect with him/his programs but I have a major respect for his attention to details. Every one of his movement is refined and polished. Why I don't connect, too much of the same... and it's actually why Keegan is on his last year with me LOL : if he comes back with another of these programs, I will be bored :)

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
I love many skaters' artistry. I'm happy those are very different thus very entertaining. No one can define what is artistry exclusively..

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I thought Hanyu was pretty 'artistic' in this particular competition. I also enjoyed Brezina, and the newbie Vladimir Litvintsev. :) And I almost forgot, Matteo Rizzo. Jason Brown, that just goes without saying!

GGFan

Record Breaker
I just wanted to add that my assessment was pretty democratic. If we were elitist very few men these days are true artists. And when I say that I mean in the tradition of Curry and Cousins, Lambiel, Takahashi. I would include some of Jason's programs but not all. Keegan is a showman but not an artist in my book. Neither Yuzu, Patrick, or Javi were artists under this definition. To me that word is reserved for the Kevin Aymoz's or the Guillaume Cizeron's of the world who leave everything on the ice and are willing to do anything for their art.

Having said all of that, I want my skaters to have a style, but I know this is competitive skating and art sometimes has to be sacrificed. I think great interpretation, composition, etc. can be accomplished in many different ways. This is not a ballet performance.

ETA: One of the things I hate is when folks try to put current skaters down by bringing up people like Brian Boitano and Orser as having great artistry. Please stop. They had good choreographers who put together iconic programs but neither was an artist.

ETA2: I forgot Jermey Abbott!