Which men's skater's artistry do you prefer? | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Which men's skater's artistry do you prefer?

chanchan

On the Ice
Mikhail Kolyada!!! Besides beautiful posture and great skating skills, he has the ability to perform different styles of programs!:luv17:

Shoma Uno has such huge power on ice!
Nathan Chen truly can dance on the ice.

Past: John Curry, Ilia Kulik, Alexander Abt, Stephane Lambiel and Patrick Chan.

Pasdedeux

Rinkside
No one liked Amodio?
Eta: reread thread title, he was definitely a performer more than an artist, for me at least :)

tzazu

Medalist
First and most Takahashi. But I love the artistry of Jason and Kolyada too. :)

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
No one liked Amodio?
Eta: reread thread title, he was definitely a performer more than an artist, for me at least :)

I think, like other French skaters (Tobel, Candeloro, Bonaly) he wasn't afraid to get quirky or choose odd music choices (hello, Fergalicious?!). But I've considered him to be an artist who truly expresses his music to the best of his ability and projects to every audience.

Sabrina

Record Breaker
Old times: John Curry, Robin Cousins, Philipe Candeloro, Toller Cranston, Alexei Yagudin, Daisuke Takahashi, Stephane Lambiel, Laurent Tobel:luv17:

New skaters (no particular order): Jason Brown, Roman Sadovski, Kevin Aymoz, Jin Boyang, Yuzuru Hanyu, Shoma Uno

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Skaters who are able to combine the artistry with athletism have been my biggest favourites:

Curry, R. Cousins, Kulik, Candeloro, Lysacek (Godfather!!!), Takahashi, Chan, Fernandez (Guys and Dolls!!!), Hanyu, Uno, Zhou, Rizzo, etc.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
As a lady, I would say Yagudin has been my fav for a very long time. He can dance and has those traditional masculine characteristics.
Jason Brown is another of my fav, but I don't like his programs in the past two seasons.

Maagii

Rinkside
I have always much liked Yagudin's artistry. He had an ability to feel the music AND execute the moves with a tint of masculinity.

I like Yuzuru Hanyu and Jason Brown. But sometimes their skating come across way too cheesy and feminine.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I have always much liked Yagudin's artistry. He had an ability to feel the music AND execute the moves with a tint of masculinity.

I like Yuzuru Hanyu and Jason Brown. But sometimes their skating come across way too cheesy and feminine.

Why is it a bad thing for a male skater to come across as “feminine”. :think: I looooove Jason’s spiral and I only wish every man had the athleticism necessary produce a spiral like that.:luv17:

But then again, I’ve never found Jason’s or Yuzu’s skating as cheesy so what do I know :shrug:

Maagii

Rinkside
Why is it a bad thing for a male skater to come across as “feminine”. :think: I looooove Jason’s spiral and I only wish every man had the athleticism necessary produce a spiral like that.:luv17:

But then again, I’ve never found Jason’s or Yuzu’s skating as cheesy so what do I know :shrug:
I didnt day it was a bad thing. I dont know for others. But it's just personal perference. I believe that both male and female skating categories offer different strengths and uniqueness in their own way(in general). But for me seeing almost everyone skating in this lyrical, ethereal way sometimes gets a little boring and repetitive. When I watch men's skating, I wanna see those musicality that men can bring from time to time too. But the key would be finding the balance. Manly but not too wooden, lyrical but not too cheesy.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I didnt day it was a bad thing. I dont know for others. But it's just personal perference. I believe that both male and female skating categories offer different strengths and uniqueness in their own way(in general). But for me seeing almost everyone skating in this lyrical, ethereal way sometimes gets a little boring and repetitive. When I watch men's skating, I wanna see those musicality that men can bring from time to time too. But the key would be finding the balance. Manly but not too wooden, lyrical but not too cheesy.

Thank you for your answer, of course we can only answer for our own tastes. I also love balance; nothing for me is more :yawn: than a jump da jump jump program.

I don’t see too many men with lyrical or ethereal, so I guess I’m watching the wrong skaters. :) Jason is the one I follow most closely, and although Jason’s “the Piano” was lyrical, not so much his remaining programs. And before this year, who knew he could do so well at bringing sensuality to the ice? I sure didn’t, and I’m a fan:biggrin:

I’m just not all that crazy about using words like feminine or masculine, I guess. I think sometimes folks misuse those words, particularly with Yuzu. Bling is not “less manly” than non-bling, and nobody, but nobody, does fierce as well as Yuzu.

IMHO, of course ;)

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I will rate my artistic skaters in levels

GOLD Chan, Buttle, Lambiel, Takahashi,Curry, Toller C?

SILVER Hanyu, Browning, Orser, Sandu, Brown, Bobrin

BRONZE Plushenko, Wylie, Denis Ten, Urmanov, Petrenko, Candelero

Manly but not too wooden, lyrical but not too cheesy.

I think that's the problem right there. In traditional mainstream western British-American culture, masculine means wooden and feminine means cheesy.

Men are supposed to maintain a stiff upper lip and to move awkwardly and clumsily. Also don't talk much and when you do talk, talk slow. Think John Wayne.

Woman are "cheesy" if that means phony angst and over-the-top emoting. They move gracefully. They like to dance (!!!!). They wear pretty clothes.

Well, that was then. This is now. Who is more "feminine" than Mao Asada, but not a cheesy bone in her body.

(But she does move gracefully and wear pretty clothes. :) Oh, wait. This is the men's thread.)

Last edited:

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
I think that's the problem right there. In traditional mainstream western British-American culture, masculine means wooden and feminine means cheesy.

Men are supposed to maintain a stiff upper lip and to move awkwardly and clumsily. Also don't talk much and when you do talk, talk slow. Think John Wayne.

Woman are "cheesy" if that means phony angst and over-the-top emoting. They move gracefully. They like to dance (!!!!). They wear pretty clothes.

Well, that was then. This is now. Who is more "feminine" than Mao Asada, but not a cheesy bone in her body.

(But she does move gracefully and wear pretty clothes. :) Oh, wait. This is the men's thread.)

I find skaters who are built more earthy - both male and female - easier to ahem ‘believe in’ for the lack of a better word, and, thus easier to root for. Hence, I am more of a fan of Uno and Sakamoto, vs Hanyu and Kihira. I like the athletic exuberance, energy vibe vs the mellow romanticism - again for both genders. At times a romantic number does get through to me, but overall I watch to get charged up and inspired. On the same note I cannot watch ice dance, but I am glued to my tv for pairs.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Well no prizes for guessing which men's artistry I prefer :laugh:

To be honest though, I'm not entirely sure why I like Plushy's artistry the best because I was only to really be able to get into skating until he retired (in the dark ol' days when SBS Australia didn't show skating highlights every Saturday and Aussie internet was sooo slow watching on YouTube was a pain). But yeah, I looked at all his old programs and loved the armography, the zero transitions ;) :p, the jumps and all that.

For current skaters I really like Kevin Aymoz, who's probably like an anti-Plushy or something, but there you go. I also love Boyang, particularly his fun programs and Javi - his Black Betty was the first program with lyrics that I actually liked! Thanks Javi!