I Wish Keegan Messing Would Get a New Program | Page 2 | Golden Skate

I Wish Keegan Messing Would Get a New Program

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Keegan needs to skate to Black Betty, or something by Kiss or AC/DC. :devil:

Hell, he’s already being coached by Bret Michaels, how about a program to some songs by Poison? :rofl:

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Oh yes, that's true. I did like his Singing in the Rain program. I find Keegan one of the most understated, down to earth skaters around. Kurt Browning really talks up a storm about Keegan and how genuine he is on and off the ice. :points:

I LOVE him and was GUTTED for him. You're lucky to have Browning. Now that I finally watched the NBC Sports Gold coverage, I'm afraid to watch Tara/Johnny. I know I will throw a brick through the TV when Johnny starts in on him. Johnny absolutely hates him for some reason I can't fathom.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Could someone explain Keegan Messing to me? What do you like most about him?

Also, if you love Messing - did you also love Carolina Kostner?

Well, one thing I love about him is that when he does fall, he pops right up and generally doesn't allow it to affect the rest of his performance - I guess some of his jumps didn't count at worlds because plus rep - sorry this is a French keyboard and I can't find the plus sign. I like his style. I love that he's not trying to be all angsty and Russian because I personally don't care for that. Hell, I even love his hat. Sadly he is fairly recently engaged. I like that he responds to my tweets, as does Kaitlin Hawayek and even on the rare occasion Jason Brown or even my Alexa. Anyone who does that I will feel like I have more of a personal connection with and root for more. Now if I could just get him to leave Alaska and go somewhere else to train. I remember Jimmie Santee at Nationals talking about some journalist who had written an article on skating, and at the end he finished with "It's not a sport. It is an opinion." I won't go so far as to say it's not a sport, but it's definitely an opinion - if it wasn't, this board would not be so busy if we all agreed on everything, and wouldn't that be boring.

As for Carolina, I can't say I LOVED her, but I did like her quite well. I remember seeing her at an early Grand Prix, it may have been her first, it had to have been in the late 1990's. She was a fairy in the wood:)

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada

Also, if you love Messing - did you also love Carolina Kostner?

I only saw Carolina Kostner during the last Olympics - that’s when I started watching FS - and she looked cool, but I was like, omg, ALINA! Alinaalinaalina.....

Why I like Messing, is because I liked characters during the season that have immediately recognizable style and whose music choices are engaging rather than whiny or mellow. Messing is crazy entertaining in the exhibition galas. I am not at all savvy about the finer points of skating, so it has to be something extremely in my face to get me to pick out a skater from the pack. Like Messing’s atthletism and humor. One of the Canadian commentators introduced him during the gala as Keeeegan Messing! Unable to skate slowly! And it sort of stuck with me.

Also, Messing never makes me heartsick like Hanyu because he is getting less and less corporeal every time I see him, or gets me to watch the little box in the upper left corner rather than the skate like Chen - though I found Chen more watchable in the Worlds.

TL;DR I love Messing because he is FUN on skates

DanseMacabre

Final Flight
Country
Iceland
True but remember PC in dance they too kind of blendin and they constantly are on top no matter what.

P/C’s programs don’t blend together for me. And I wouldn’t compare the quality and nuance of their programs to Keegan’s aww shucks golly gee schtick either. I think that’s the difference between having a distinctive style versus doing the same thing over and over.

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I LOVE him and was GUTTED for him. You're lucky to have Browning. Now that I finally watched the NBC Sports Gold coverage, I'm afraid to watch Tara/Johnny. I know I will throw a brick through the TV when Johnny starts in on him. Johnny absolutely hates him for some reason I can't fathom.

Wutttt? I don’t think I’ve ever heard a skater - in both camps of either currently competing or retired - say they hate Kurt Browning. :eeking:

Full disclosure, for those of you who don’t know me and are unaware of my infamous GS forum shenanigans: I’m one of “those” annoying Canadian fans who optimistically roots for all my country’s skaters, sometimes to the point of being fiercely protective of them. Oddly enough, I’ve learned here at GS over the years that apparently, this is a bad thing? :rolleye:

*sarcasm detector blows up, fire fire everywhere*

Oh for gods sake, talk about horrible timing. :palmf: I put the garden hose into storage after worlds last weekend, all safely tucked away for next season, along with the toilet plunger, the inflatable wrestling ring, the costco sized box of dozens of assorted individual jello and pudding flavours for use in said wrestling ring, 4NeverPojeSuspenders’ cage, several postmarked extra large boxes addressed to a remote outpost in northern Siberia, WeakAnkles’ VPN passwords, a six pack of Palm Bay coolers, Three Prince CDs, and some other assorted props.

Alas, now my house is burning down.

ANYWAY. :rofl: Are there other Kurt Browning uber critics out there who I’ve been blissfully unaware of until now? Or is Johnny just being Johnny?

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
The Indiana Jones movies soundtracks. Keegan and the Raiders march, just.... made in heaven.

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Wutttt? I don’t think I’ve ever heard a skater - in both camps of either currently competing or retired - say they hate Kurt Browning. :eeking:

I think moonvine was meaning that Johnny has taken against Keegan, not Kurt? I'm not sure it's humanly possible to dislike Kurt...

Roo87

Medalist
Was watching The Umbrella Academy yesterday and thought that "Istanbul - They Might Be Giants" would be perfect for him.

Roo87

Medalist
Keegan needs to skate to Black Betty, or something by Kiss or AC/DC. :devil:

Hell, he’s already being coached by Bret Michaels, how about a program to some songs by Poison? :rofl:

I always thought of his coach as more of a Alan Doyle lol Maybe a GBS medley?

DanseMacabre

Final Flight
Country
Iceland
Was watching The Umbrella Academy yesterday and thought that "Istanbul - They Might Be Giants" would be perfect for him.

Oohh, that could work. It would be different at least. The Umbrella Academy soundtrack is full of so many gems.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think moonvine was meaning that Johnny has taken against Keegan, not Kurt? I'm not sure it's humanly possible to dislike Kurt...

Yes. Johnny hates Keegan, not Kurt. Sorry for the confusion.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Forgot to mention - I love that he commits himself to a character, and doesn't just do random things to music for points. Doing random things to music for points bores me quickly, even if they are really hard things.

Casual

On the Ice
Thank you for explaining. I tried to look at him with fresh eyes, and while I'm not a fan of his particular style, I understand it better.

brens78

Medalist
Country
Australia
When I saw Mary Poppins Returns a few months back, I was listening to the music and especially one of the songs, Trip a Little Light Fantastic would really make a good routine and I reckon Keegan would play a lamplighter quite well!

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
When I saw Mary Poppins Returns a few months back, I was listening to the music and especially one of the songs, Trip a Little Light Fantastic would really make a good routine and I reckon Keegan would play a lamplighter quite well!

That would be awesome! Someone should suggest it to his people.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics

Because he's a better skater than Johnny could ever dream of being, especially SS wise.

And IDK if you've noticed but Johnny and Tara only talk about their wonderful skating that never was wonderful. They hate anyone that's not themselves LOL!:palmf: