I Wish Keegan Messing Would Get a New Program | Page 3 | Golden Skate

I Wish Keegan Messing Would Get a New Program

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Because he's a better skater than Johnny could ever dream of being, especially SS wise.

And IDK if you've noticed but Johnny and Tara only talk about their wonderful skating that never was wonderful. They hate anyone that's not themselves LOL!:palmf:

Messing is not a better skater than Johnny was. He doesn't have the smoothness, carriage, stretch, attention to detail, or emotional depth. No way he could effectively skate to Otonal, The Swan, Fallen Angels, Child of Nazareth, or Lady Caliph. He's a fast and fun skater though.

Johnny and Tara can be annoying commentators (mostly the latter), but they don't hate everyone.

I'd like to see Keegan try a more powerful kind of music instead of cutesy.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Good thing I'm a better judge of things and don't care about opinions. :laugh:

I'd love to see Johnny try to attempt Keegan's programs and footwork without falling on his face.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Let's see Keegan try to do Johnny's circular step from The Swan. How foolish that would look.

Johnny skated during a different era, so we don't know exactly what his capability would be if he came up later. Not that you need to do transition-obsessed programs to be a great skater. Johnny actually had some quite nice ones in his prime anyway, let's see Keegan try to do a back spiral into 3Lutz with the stretch Johnny did it with. Mostly likely Johnny would do the current footwork just fine. It's not as if Keegan is particularly great at it, there's several weak edges in his footwork, particularly on his twizzles (something Johnny did smoothly). Keegan also falls all the time. That's not the argument you want to be making.

Icey

Record Breaker
Keegan is 27. I don't see him staying around much longer.

Keegan' ISU personal best score (267) is significantly higher than Weir's 238. And Quads were being done in Weir's time. Weir had a ten year career as a senior, but won only one World medal, a bronze. I think both skaters are quite good, but I don't think either fulfilled their potential.

Seven Sisters

Medalist
I do feel that commentators who are retired skaters are more likely to appreciate skaters who follow the same path as they did when they competed. I used to notice this a lot with Tanith, for example—she would thoroughly praise the traditional “stem and flower” type teams, where the man’s job is to present the lady and the lady’s job is to engage the judges and the audience, but seemed unengaged by those that didn’t fit that mold.

Johnny’s own style of skating was completely dissimilar to Keegan’s. It’s not surprising that he would love, say, Hanyu, but be less than enthusiastic about someone like Keegan, who, as we’ve all observed, would look silly skating a Russian style program to classical or ballet music with a costume to match! But Johnny was at his finest with programs like that.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
HEY!

If this works and Keegan gets a new program I want Ladskater to wish that I win the Lotto Super Max. Just saying.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Messing is not a better skater than Johnny was. He doesn't have the smoothness, carriage, stretch, attention to detail, or emotional depth. No way he could effectively skate to Otonal, The Swan, Fallen Angels, Child of Nazareth, or Lady Caliph. He's a fast and fun skater though.

Johnny and Tara can be annoying commentators (mostly the latter), but they don't hate everyone.

I'd like to see Keegan try a more powerful kind of music instead of cutesy.

They are different but since Keegan can do quads and is a decent pc skater he probably is "better" than Johnny.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I do feel that commentators who are retired skaters are more likely to appreciate skaters who follow the same path as they did when they competed. I used to notice this a lot with Tanith, for example—she would thoroughly praise the traditional “stem and flower” type teams, where the man’s job is to present the lady and the lady’s job is to engage the judges and the audience, but seemed unengaged by those that didn’t fit that mold.

Johnny’s own style of skating was completely dissimilar to Keegan’s. It’s not surprising that he would love, say, Hanyu, but be less than enthusiastic about someone like Keegan, who, as we’ve all observed, would look silly skating a Russian style program to classical or ballet music with a costume to match! But Johnny was at his finest with programs like that.

Not to mention Hanyu has froufrou costumes like Johnny and that Johnny has designed some for Hanyu.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
To watch Keegan you know he idolize Scooter and Kurt. His programs are exhibition material and they make me cringe. There I said it. He is so short and stumpy he needs outfits that do not cut him in half. Please someone on his team burn his bow ties. 1980s Scooter vibes. I hated Kurt’s clown routines. Obnoxious. He is built like Shoma and he stretches as much as he can in every move. Give him classical music, and a monotone dark costume and let him duke it out with Shoma for his spot in the top three.

Of course he will get new programs next year Lad but too bad two bad we had to suffer through two seasons in order to see him skate at all. Ugh.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I enjoy Keegan so much but look forward to him getting new programs. I would love to see him do something TOTALLY different. I wonder how he would do with something like the Don Quijote music for his SP. Yes, it's a war horse, but I can see certain sections of that being great with his speed and ice coverage. He is such a likeable guy!

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Hoping that Keegan stays away from vests and/or Michael Buble. I also hope he can control his jumps better next season - they are pretty wild, as his last few outings have demonstrated.

That said, I do enjoy him, especially his energy and fast spins.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I never dreamed Keegan would be such a polarizing figure.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I never dreamed Keegan would be such a polarizing figure.

He's finally hit the big leagues in that way, I suppose. :rolleyes:

For those wishing for him to retire, he's only promised to stay in until Worlds 2020... so it'll be over for you soon.

Casual

On the Ice
To watch Keegan you know he idolize Scooter and Kurt. His programs are exhibition material and they make me cringe. There I said it. He is so short and stumpy he needs outfits that do not cut him in half. Please someone on his team burn his bow ties. 1980s Scooter vibes. I hated Kurt’s clown routines. Obnoxious. He is built like Shoma and he stretches as much as he can in every move. Give him classical music, and a monotone dark costume and let him duke it out with Shoma for his spot in the top three.

Of course he will get new programs next year Lad but too bad two bad we had to suffer through two seasons in order to see him skate at all. Ugh.

You make a good point about Keegan's physique being used to stress a clownish quality - but instead it could be used in a completely different style, like Shoma's (who's actually much shorter) or Grant Hochstein's (who's the same height).

Keegan does follow through on the style of his programs, always, (sometimes to the detriment of technical elements execution) - just think if he applied the same level of devotion, but to an opposite style of program.

I think I'll join the club of those who'd like to see a different stylistic choice from him. :biggrin:

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Glide, Keegan, glide!

Sorry, could not resist. I am still not tired, but hey, if he tries smthng new, so long as it is not mellow... :)

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Nice FS to finish the season Keegan! He was due for that and hopefully it's a confidence booster going into the next season.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I'm secretly hoping he'll have a program to the music by Hobo Jim... but I don't think anyone outside of Alaska would enjoy it. :laugh: