The 6 countries qualified for World Team Trophy announced | Page 2 | Golden Skate

The 6 countries qualified for World Team Trophy announced

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I don't think they would for a WTT. If Alina comes, we must get Masaru on the ice.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't think they would for a WTT. If Alina comes, we must get Masaru on the ice.

In the past, if one of the top skaters in WS who were top ten at worlds skipped WTT, they weren't allowed to skate in shows for a certain period around WTT. Don't know if that's still the case.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
In the past, if one of the top skaters in WS who were top ten at worlds skipped WTT, they weren't allowed to skate in shows for a certain period around WTT. Don't know if that's still the case.

How is ISU going to enforce this, especially against the power nations in figure skating?

Of course each invited nation will accept, but probably send the skaters that are available at the moment and that might need some exposure. You can hardly go amiss if Russia sends Gubanova and/or Tarusina or any other apart from the WC medalists, could you?

katmari

Final Flight
Country
United-States

This is in the announcement on page 5:

The Skater/Couple withdrawn for any reason, including injury or illness, cannot take part in any skating event until the date decided and published by the ISU.

It refers to skaters/couples who withdraw after being named to the team but does not mention skaters/couples who decline before the teams are announced.

I think the event is a pretty easy yes for most skaters (and is considered an honor). I mean what's not to like ... Japan loves figure skating and the skaters earn a nice amount of cash for representing their country in a fluff competition.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
This is in the announcement on page 5:

The Skater/Couple withdrawn for any reason, including injury or illness, cannot take part in any skating event until the date decided and published by the ISU.

It refers to skaters/couples who withdraw after being named to the team but does not mention skaters/couples who decline before the teams are announced.

I think the event is a pretty easy yes for most skaters (and is considered an honor). I mean what's not to like ... Japan loves figure skating and the skaters earn a nice amount of cash for representing their country in a fluff competition.

In the past, it was more explicit in the announcement. When I read the one from 2017, it said that if a skater is their countries top ranked in WS (top two for singles) and place top ten at worlds that they have to be sent to WTT. So if they didn't compete at WTT it would be a WD. This time I don't think they explicitly write who has to be sent, so a country could just not enter a skater and it wouldn't be a WD I guess.

Fluture

Record Breaker
SOI Japan ends one week before WTT.

Hm, of course I‘d like Zhenya to go. It‘s a fun competition and an easy way to earn prize money, media attention and a higher SB. But if she‘s injured, I‘d prefer for her to take it easy. She would need to keep competitive shape for two more weeks, I don‘t know how easy this is if she won‘t go back to Toronto in the meantime. But we‘ll be sure tomorrow, right? That‘s when the assignments should be published.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I hope France can have a place on the podium. I think there is no need to worry about pair and ice dance, and when it comes to men I think it's ok but it may be complicated for ladies...
And by the way, who Italy will send for ladies ?

Rodeghiero, I suppose, but if they need two, I have no idea who the second one would be.

Noxchild

Medalist
Country
Canada
I do wish more countries could participate, since it is technically about building a strong team in all four disciplines. I get they probably want to keep the event breezy, but allowing, per se, 12 countries would be great. Maybe only the top 6 could send two skaters in men/women and the bottom six just one so it doesn't drag on too long... next time... :)

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland

GarthAqua

On the Ice
I can’t believe Canada is so low. Who was 7th?

probably China.

Canada lost their stars in the GP series as there were no competitive ladies and only one competitive pair, Weaver&Poje skip the GPs and Messing was the only competitive man.

China is worse. Boyang had a terrible first half season. Both Sui&Han and Yu&Zhang are recovering from injuries. They had only one pair team and one dance team in the GPs. Also no ladies in the GP.

pearly

Record Breaker
The Japanese team has been announced (post in WTT thread in competition forum):

Singles: Kaori Sakamoto, Rika Kihira, Shoma Uno, Keiji Tanaka
Pairs: Riku Miura/Shoya Ichihashi (juniors)
Dance: Misato Komatsubara/Tim Koleto

No Hanyu on the list.