What to wear to first LTS class | Page 3 | Golden Skate

What to wear to first LTS class

sandraskates

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I’ve never done coffee club but do you get a coffee with it?

Glad you asked! Probably depends on the rink but at my former rink your $15 coffee club admission got you:

2 hours of skating - skates included if you needed them
1/2 hour of group instruction within that 2 hours (4 different levels - beginner to high)
Your choice of beverage - coffee, tea, or soda
Your choice of pastry - Danish, cookie, brownie, etc. - because you need all that extra energy to skate for the 2 hours! :)

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
Glad you asked! Probably depends on the rink but at my former rink your $15 coffee club admission got you:

1/2 hour of group instruction within that 2 hours (4 different levels - beginner to high)
Your choice of pastry - Danish, cookie, brownie, etc. - because you need all that extra energy to skate for the 2 hours! :)

:jaw:

Know of any cheap apartments in the area? :laugh: Kidding... mostly... but that's so cool that they have that! Such a bargain, wow...

Sam L

Medalist

That’s a deal and a half. You don’t get that in Australia. Lol

I did afternoon tea and skate at Rockefeller in NYC which was nice but not that cheap lol

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ohhhh - is that perchance a "Coffee Club" session??
Some rinks offer Adult Coffee Club sessions. At my former rink, admission included 1/2 hour of group instruction. We had 4 levels, going down to skaters that had never skated before. Everyone had a lot of fun and beginners even got tips and encouragement from the regulars.
You really should check that out!

It's not like half the board doesn't know the general area I live in, so this is the one with the 50+. I swore I found somewhere it said about coffee but now I can't. https://brentwoodmo.org/DocumentCenter/View/26481/April-2019-Public-Session-Schedule

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
You need to proceed carefully here. Without the proper equipment, frustration and failure are the likely outcomes. That's a major problem with figure skating: it's an expensive sport to get into. Although some posters have written that their rinks offer decent rental equipment, that's not been my experience at many rinks over the years (looking at rental skates that friends and random skaters wear and inspecting rental skates stacked on storage racks sometimes). The boots are often broken down, and the blades often have no edges. For a beginner adult, unfortunately, there usually is not a good selection of used skates available. And the new skates sold at department and sporting goods stores (selling for about $100 or less) typically have blades mounted with rivets; stay away from those. So, then even a minimally decent pair of skates properly fitted at a pro shop will run you about $200; I usually recommend something closer to about $300.

Talk to skating directors at other rinks. Explain your situation, and what your goals are. See if you can get a recommendation for equipment and a fitter. One rink I go to offers a couple of private intro lessons for beginners at a reduced rate for them to test the <frozen> waters, before they commit to LTS or other lessons. Check out whether this option is offerred at your rinks.

I'm prepared to buy entry level skates, but not if I absolutely cannot physically skate for some reason. We have a store here: http://www.gofigureskates.com/ I was looking at the Jackson Mystiques, which are about $130, so that would be a bad choice?

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I'm prepared to buy entry level skates, but not if I absolutely cannot physically skate for some reason. We have a store here: http://www.gofigureskates.com/ I was looking at the Jackson Mystiques, which are about $130, so that would be a bad choice?

You need to find what is going to fit your foot. You can't just pick out skates on a website and know they will work for you personally, this isn't like going to get soccer gear or something. Go to the store, get fit properly, let them suggest you skates that will work for you and your skill level.