Do different Jackson skates have the same fit? | Golden Skate

Do different Jackson skates have the same fit?

Rere

Rinkside
Country
Canada
Hello everyone,
This is my first post here. I am an adult skater, and have been taking skating lessons for six months. I feel the time has come for me to switch from recreational skates to actual figure skates, but we don't have a figure skating shop in the city. The most advanced skates I can actually try on are Jackson Mystique from the general sports store. I can order Jackson Artiste from them, too, but that's it.
I am currently at Canskate 4-5 level, so I'd like to ask for advice on how to get the new skates where specialized shops are not available. Me recreational skates have been doing the trick at the earlier stages, and they are reeeally soft. I tried on Jackson Mystique, and they seemed to fit - although I am not sure what the right fit is, and the staff say they don't know anything about figure skates. I am wondering, if it's a good idea to try and order one of the more advanced models, like Artiste or Elle, online, hoping they would be the same fit as Mystique?
Also, is it a good idea to switch from (very soft) recreational skates right up to real figure skates with moderate support level, or should I better take it slowly?
Thanks a lot!

IsKAtEFaSt

Rinkside
Don't quote me on this but I'm pretty Jackson Mystiques have about the same amount of support as the recreational skates, maybe only a smidge more support between the Artistes and the recreational ones. I'm assuming that you are done or almost done with CanSkate and starting STAR soon, so I'm thinking Jackson Elles or Jackson Freestyles would be better for you considering you're an adult and stronger than the little kids.

Rere

Rinkside
Country
Canada
Don't quote me on this but I'm pretty Jackson Mystiques have about the same amount of support as the recreational skates, maybe only a smidge more support between the Artistes and the recreational ones. I'm assuming that you are done or almost done with CanSkate and starting STAR soon, so I'm thinking Jackson Elles or Jackson Freestyles would be better for you considering you're an adult and stronger than the little kids.
Thank you for the answer! In fact, Mystiques felt muuuch tougher than the ones I am skating in now, mine feel just like regular boots with the blade attached, oh my.
My concern is if it's reasonable to order online Jackson Elles or Freestyles if I only had a chance to try on the Mystiques, and which online stores are trustworthy.

Ange

Rinkside
Hello everyone,
I am wondering, if it's a good idea to try and order one of the more advanced models, like Artiste or Elle, online, hoping they would be the same fit as Mystique?
Also, is it a good idea to switch from (very soft) recreational skates right up to real figure skates with moderate support level, or should I better take it slowly?
Thanks a lot!

This is a really helpful comparison chart between brands, elements, support ratings, etc. I definitely recommend having a look: https://www.kinziescloset.com/skate-comparison-guide.html

I began skate school in Mystiques and quickly found that they didn't have the support I needed for the level I was progressing at and needed new skates within 2-3 months. Mystiques don't have much support - not enough for an adult skater who wishes to progress with skating.

I switched from Mystique (low support rating of 10 or 15 or something) to Risport RF3 Pro with a support rating of 60. As an adult skater, who hadn't yet built all the strength necessary for all the elements, I really needed the extra support and it was a good choice for me. If you can, it's a good idea to try as many brands as you can as well because different brands fit differently, for different shaped feet.

Good luck!

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
No. They all don't fit the same ever. And trying to order online when you have no idea the size or fit for you personally is going to do you no good and waste money.

The lowest boot you can get away with now is not a set, you will have to buy an intermediate level boot and then the blade separate when it comes to Jackson (and many other boot manufacturers). The Jackson Debut Fusion firm ladies boot is the lowest I would go. That will get you through singles and single axel at least, especially since you are an adult. I'd go with an intermediate blade like John Wilson Coronation Ace or MK Professional.
You are really going to need to find somewhere that has someone that knows figure skating boots and how to fit them and measure you, make outline drawings of your foot so the boot fits your foot,and you don't get the wrong thing.

Good luck!

Nimyue

On the Ice
No. They all don't fit the same ever. And trying to order online when you have no idea the size or fit for you personally is going to do you no good and waste money.

The lowest boot you can get away with now is not a set, you will have to buy an intermediate level boot and then the blade separate when it comes to Jackson (and many other boot manufacturers). The Jackson Debut Fusion firm ladies boot is the lowest I would go. That will get you through singles and single axel at least, especially since you are an adult. I'd go with an intermediate blade like John Wilson Coronation Ace or MK Professional.
You are really going to need to find somewhere that has someone that knows figure skating boots and how to fit them and measure you, make outline drawings of your foot so the boot fits your foot,and you don't get the wrong thing.

Good luck!

Piggy-backing on this with my anecdotal experience:

I bought the Freestyle to save money. This did not end up saving me money in the long run at. all.

First, the blade that arrives with the Freestyle... is... not great. The main problem is that it's pretty flat and more suitable for a lower level than the boots they are sold with. So I spent $220 on a blade. There. I spent the same as the Debut Fusion Firm and a blade. BUT I had a lower quality boot. The Freestyle is not nearly the quality of the Debut FF even though they have similar stiffness ratings. My freestyles broke down in 6 months. I have spoke with other skaters in them, and they had similar experiences.

If you get the Debut FF they will last you through all of your singles (probably not axel just because by the time you get there, you will have broken them down too much for that). Plus you can get a quality intermediate blade that will last longer than the boots. Get a CA or MK Pro, which you can use to put on the Premiere when you upgrade boots.

Also, when spending this much money it's definitely worth a trip to a good fitter. Many people travel very far to see a fitter. My fitter in Chicago, IL has people traveling up from the Southern US states. They have to book plane tickets and hotels just to get their boots. But in the long run it'll not only save you money but time!

bostonskaterguy86

On the Ice
Country
United-States

Seconding this. My fitter is a certified Jackson tech and she had me try on the Mystique to get a rough idea of whether I needed a wide or not, but when my Debuts came in the 7W fit very differently between the two models - it felt like there was much more room in the toe box of the Mystique.

My guess is the only Jackson models that might be reasonably similar in sizing are the models that are all built on the Elite last (Premiere, Supreme and Elite I think?) - but even still, I’d recommend against buying a boot without trying it on first if at all possible.

IsKAtEFaSt

Rinkside
Thank you for the answer! In fact, Mystiques felt muuuch tougher than the ones I am skating in now, mine feel just like regular boots with the blade attached, oh my.
My concern is if it's reasonable to order online Jackson Elles or Freestyles if I only had a chance to try on the Mystiques, and which online stores are trustworthy.

If you live in a metropolitan area in Southern Ontario you could probably could find a skate shop that could fit you better if you search around on Google. I can't offer any advice if you live in another province.

Nimyue

On the Ice
Seconding this. My fitter is a certified Jackson tech and she had me try on the Mystique to get a rough idea of whether I needed a wide or not, but when my Debuts came in the 7W fit very differently between the two models - it felt like there was much more room in the toe box of the Mystique.

My guess is the only Jackson models that might be reasonably similar in sizing are the models that are all built on the Elite last (Premiere, Supreme and Elite I think?) - but even still, I’d recommend against buying a boot without trying it on first if at all possible.

All the Fusions are on the Elite last, but the Mystique and Artiste are not Fusions so they will be different than the rest of the line up. The Elle through the Premiere Fusions are all on the same last. However, even then the padding is probably different, so trying them on and ordering them through a fitter is advised.

Rere

Rinkside
Country
Canada
I began skate school in Mystiques and quickly found that they didn't have the support I needed for the level I was progressing at and needed new skates within 2-3 months. Mystiques don't have much support - not enough for an adult skater who wishes to progress with skating.
Thank you Ange, Mystiques are out then!

Ic3Rabbit said:
Ouch, and it seemed like a viable course of action first!))

Ic3Rabbit said:
Got it, thank you! So the main quest now is to find the place and person who have the figure skating boots and can measure. Thank you!