Who will be invited to 2019-20 GP series? | Golden Skate

Who will be invited to 2019-20 GP series?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TT_Fin

The second worst besserwisser in the world
Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I mean in general. I know the best in rankings and arranging countries have opportunity to bring one skater or pair to all disciplines. But how many skaters will be invited? It is so that 24 best SB:s this season will be invited to two competitons, inluding juniors age eligble next season?

I have tried to find the answer, but have not managed to do it. Reason why I am so interested in this right now is that Viveca and Juulia/Matthias are quite close to get an invite to some GP competition, even if nothing is in Finland, am I right?Viveca is close to get maybe even two invitations, if there will be a few WDs as every year it happens, right?

I hope somebody would write general info (or link it, if is it written somewhere), because I have thought this also before, but the Finns have not been so close to get invitations than this year.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I have tried to find the answer, but have not managed to do it. Reason why I am so interested in this right now is that Viveca and Juulia/Matthias are quite close to get an invite to some GP competition, even if nothing is in Finland, am I right?Viveca is close to get maybe even two invitations, if there will be a few WDs as every year it happens, right?
The only people guaranteed two Grand Prix events are those who place 1-12 (for singles) or 1-10 (for dance) at Worlds.

Skaters who are on the Top 24 in the World Standings or Top 24 season's best lists for 2018-19 are guaranteed one event.

Viveca is twenty-third in the World Standings as of the most recent update, so if she stays on she'd be guaranteed one. Since she won a Euros medal, it's not unreasonable to think she might end up with two by the end of things. Turkkila/Versluis are currently fortieth, so unlikely to be guaranteed anything.

alinaharry

On the Ice
Does anyone know when they will drop the 2016/2017 WS points? I’d be interested to see if and how it changes WS.

Ziotic

Medalist
The only people guaranteed two Grand Prix events are those who place 1-12 (for singles) or 1-10 (for dance) at Worlds.

Skaters who are on the Top 24 in the World Standings or Top 24 season's best lists for 2018-19 are guaranteed one event.

Viveca is twenty-third in the World Standings as of the most recent update, so if she stays on she'd be guaranteed one. Since she won a Euros medal, it's not unreasonable to think she might end up with two by the end of things. Turkkila/Versluis are currently fortieth, so unlikely to be guaranteed anything.

What about pairs? 1-8??

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I have done calculations for what the WS will look like when the 2016-17 points and dropped, and the 2018-19 points go to 70% value (I still need to double-check the ladies in excel, but I'm pretty confident about the rest of them).

Viveca should be easily top 24 by World Standing (I have her 17th), and she's quite high on the SB (currently 25th). So she'll have one for sure and is very likely to end up with two.

For Turkkila/Versluis, they will not be guaranteed any spots. They may pick up one because they aren't too far down the SB list (29th), but I think it would probably be only one initially (if they get anything). They could end up with two events later as replacements if people WD.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Does anyone know when they will drop the 2016/2017 WS points? I’d be interested to see if and how it changes WS.

It'll change it quite a lot for some people, by my calculations. A lot of the skaters/teams who didn't compete this season but are still pretty high will drop a lot, because they will only be counting their 2017-18 points at 70%.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
For Turkkila/Versluis, they will not be guaranteed any spots. They may pick up one because they aren't too far down the SB list (29th), but I think it would probably be only one initially (if they get anything). They could end up with two events later as replacements if people WD.

Turkkila/Versluis got one event last year as a host pick at the FIN event. They did very well (6th), and they placed 16th at their very first Worlds. Although they aren't top 24 on either list, they are a young team who are improving rapidly. I wouldn't be shocked to see them get an event right off the bat.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Here is my preview of the top 30 on the World Ranking list (first number), plus a selection of US, Canadian and Russian ladies.

The second number is the Seasons Best rating. If the number is in italics, it is too low for GP selection and the skater can only be chosen as a host pick. Bolded numbers are in the top 24.

(*) Top 12 at Worlds--guaranteed 2 GP events

1Alina ZAGITOVA*
28Satoko MIYAHARA*
4Evgenia MEDVEDEVA*
46Kaori SAKAMOTO*
52Rika KIHIRA*
63Elizabet TURSYNBAEVA*
737Wakaba HIGUCHI
12Bradie TENNELL*
923Stanislava KONSTANTINOVA
1014Mariah BELL*
1111Sofia SAMODUROVA*
9Elizabeta TUKTAMYSHEVA
15Eunsoo LIM*
1428Yuna SHIRAIWA
1525Viveca LINDFORS
13Mai MIHARA
1736Alexia PAGANINI
5Alexandra TRUSOVA
1942Maria SOTSKOVA
20naKaitlin OSMOND
2140Laurine LECAVELIER
17Mako YAMASHITA
23naCarolina KOSTNER
2443Mae Berenice MEITE
2516Loena HENDRICKX*
2627Gabrielle DALEMAN*
2758Nichole SCHOTT
2824Yelim KIM
2932Marin HONDA
3010Alena KOSTORNAIA
3219Ting CUI
3351Starr ANDREWS
3718Serafina SAKHANOVICH
477Anna SHCHERBAKOVA
4854Alaine CHARTRAND
6020Anna TARUSINA
61naKaren CHEN
63naMirai NAGASU
6474Angela WANG
7321Anastasia GUBANOVA
8363Amber GLENN
9056Veronik MALLET
9522Alena KANYSHEVA - JGP
10279Alicia PINEAULT
10382Alison SCHUMACHER
111134Aurora COTOP
154naMichelle LONG

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Turkkila & Versluis . . .

It's so funny that you asked this because I did a mock fill of the GP dance spots today, and T&V really are on the bubble for what I would consider likely to make it. I think their odds are pretty decent. Here's their major advantage: they aren't Russian. They are 29th on the SB list, which is 5 spots too low to get a guaranteed berth. (Ushakova & Nekrasov will not use theirs as they are reportedly staying in juniors, but a number of teams ranked below T&V on the SB list will get spots either via world standings or more commonly via host spots so that decreases T&V's odds. Also when you don't have a host country, you have nothing to trade and often lose out to teams that are from host countries).

But Russia has 6 guaranteed teams on the GP, and another two are outside the top 24/WS list and ranked right above Turkkila & Versluis. It's likely to be hard for Russia to get double invites for all their teams guaranteed berths and get spots for the teams just below the list. Probably Russia will have to either grab two spots for the ones actually guaranteed berths or compromise and accept one for more teams. Anyway, chances are not bad that a host country skips over a couple Russian teams and invites T&V. But that's a hunch. If the Russian teams can be skipped--and they can--so can T&V. Teams like Galiyanova & Thauron and Yanovskaya & Lukacs have some political advantages.

TT_Fin

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Thank you very much for your very informative answers. Only reason why I thought T/V could have a possibility to get an invite was because Törn/Partanen got couple of years ago and they never got so good results than Juulia and Matthias, but now I know it was the ranking, not the placement at worlds. I think our local commentators never have told how the spots are gotten, they only tell that skaters are invited.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Thank you very much for your very informative answers. Only reason why I thought T/V could have a possibility to get an invite was because Törn/Partanen got couple of years ago and they never got so good results than Juulia and Matthias, but now I know it was the ranking, not the placement at worlds. I think our local commentators never have told how the spots are gotten, they only tell that skaters are invited.

Last year the top 21 dance teams (that were planning to compete the GP in seniors) received two berths. The 23rd dance team (Junior World silver medalists with some pretty good Russian connections;)) got two. Teams 22 and 24-32 got one. Torn & Partanen were among those final ten teams so, judging by last season's pattern, they almost certainly would have gotten a spot even if Finland had not hosted (of course, T&P didn't use it last season). Garabedian & Proulx-Senecal were ranked lower & also got an initial berth, though they had actually already split before the GP draw was made. This was all during the initial draw.

But it's different every year. The year before, teams like Coomes & Buckland (if they were ever submitted by their federation as return skaters), The Parsons, & Fournier-Beaudry & Sorenson were skipped during the initial draw while teams below them got second or first spots.

The year before the cutoff for two spots was @15-18th and the rest of the teams on the guaranteed list got one (not counting host berths). I think maybe Lauriault & Le Gac got one without being as high as the other teams on the SB list, but I could be remembering wrong (they were close to top 24 on the WS list if I remember right, but it's been too long).

Sometimes you have comeback teams that have taken a break, returning teams back from injury, and/or repartnered teams with high level athletes that you aren't expecting.

Sometimes host countries go straight down the list and fill spots. Sometimes they hop around. You want the guaranteed berth. The better you are, the harder it can be to get an invite if you don't have the guaranteed berth. If you miss the initial draw, the top 10 athletes without 2 spots go onto the replacement list. Replacement invites can go to anyone on that list. They often go to athletes who 1. live close to whatever event has an opening, 2. have a coach already attending the event, 3. are from the same country as the athlete that withdrew & can use the same plane tickets, 4. are at the bottom of the list & less likely to challenge such & such country's host athletes, or 5. are at the top of the list (particularly if an opening is at NHK).

If I remember correctly, Torn & Partanen were initially on the replacement list in 16-17. That season we had Coomes & Buckland and Testa & Csolley pull out, which opened up four berths and I believe T&P got one of those openings.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Last year there were 9 Russian ladies and 10 Japanese ladies in the GP.

If you look at the list in post #9, this year there are twelve Russian ladies with guarantees. Three of them, of course, are the trio from Worlds who get two spots each, and two are top seeds (1 and 3).

As for the Japanese ladies, there aren't as many with guarantees as the Russians: the three from Worlds, plus Higuchi, Shiraiwa, Mihara and Yamashita.

It seems that every GP event will have 3 Russian and one or two Japanese skaters. And skaters with no guarantees are unlikely to get invitations because there are so many skaters with guarantees.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think maybe Lauriault & Le Gac got one without being as high as the other teams on the SB list, but I could be remembering wrong (they were close to top 24 on the WS list if I remember right, but it's been too long).

I keep copies of end-of-year SB lists, and Lauriault / LeGac were 27th on the 2017-18 SB list. They automatically got IDF as a host pick, and were invited by Skate Canada because they train under Marie France and Patrice Lauzon's group.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
I keep copies of end-of-year SB lists, and Lauriault / LeGac were 27th on the 2017-18 SB list. They automatically got IDF as a host pick, and were invited by Skate Canada because they train under Marie France and Patrice Lauzon's group.

Lauriault & Le Gac were plenty high enough last year to get their spots. It was the year prior & I think possibly the year before when they benefited more than teams higher on the SB list. And they weren't invited to SC those seasons but to NHK & Russia. France has the ability to trade berths and not a lot of athletes on the lists to barter for. So L&LG have an advantage over teams from non-host countries. Soucisse & Firus could have the same advantage heading into next season. Anyway, I still think the Finns have a pretty good shot at a spot. (Finland played it straight and invited a lot of high level athletes this past year. We had three U.S. dance invites there, for example. They took Hanyu for Japan. They took Boyang for China. There ought to be quite a bit of international goodwill toward Finland, both for hosting the GP at the last minute and for inviting so many contending--and non-seeded--athletes). On top of which, Turkkila & Versluis defeated Evdokimova & Bazin and Popova & Mozgov in a couple head-to-heads this past year. T&V would be a legitimate selection amidst teams that did make the SB list.

TT_Fin

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Lauriault & Le Gac were plenty high enough last year to get their spots. It was the year prior & I think possibly the year before when they benefited more than teams higher on the SB list. And they weren't invited to SC those seasons but to NHK & Russia. France has the ability to trade berths and not a lot of athletes on the lists to barter for. So L&LG have an advantage over teams from non-host countries. Soucisse & Firus could have the same advantage heading into next season. Anyway, I still think the Finns have a pretty good shot at a spot. (Finland played it straight and invited a lot of high level athletes this past year. We had three U.S. dance invites there, for example. They took Hanyu for Japan. They took Boyang for China. There ought to be quite a bit of international goodwill toward Finland, both for hosting the GP at the last minute and for inviting so many contending--and non-seeded--athletes). On top of which, Turkkila & Versluis defeated Evdokimova & Bazin and Popova & Mozgov in a couple head-to-heads last year. They would be a legitimate selection amidst teams that did make the SB list.

Oh, I did not know country can effect to who they can invite. I got some more information, thank you!

Little OT: The reason to invite Hanyu was the shining of euros in Finnish federation eyes together with Helsinki city looking forward to get japanese tourists, who like Finland and who buy a lot :D. During worlds 2017 Hanuy was not the most popular person if you look at who was interviewed for local newspapers and magazines. It was Javier from the skaters and Japanese fans from Japan :laugh: During GP also, fans from Japan got the largest exposure.

Status
Not open for further replies.