Who will be invited to 2019-20 GP series? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Who will be invited to 2019-20 GP series?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miller

Final Flight
I’ve been doing some calculations for Ladies based on how it works in practice i.e. Guaranteed Spots, one or two bits and pieces i.e. return/comeback skaters, Host Picks i.e. spots skaters wouldn’t otherwise get, and Invites which in practice are in Seasons Best order for those skaters without 2 spots - you can be pretty sure everyone in the Top 24 SB will get 2 spots due to the number of spots to fill i.e. 72 (except for Russians – see below).

In summary I would expect every non-Russian with a seasons best over 180 to get at least an invite – they would be very unlucky not to do so.

http://www.isuresults.com/isujsstat/sb2018-19/sbtslto.htm

My prediction.

Russia - 18 spots. Your guess is as good as mine as to how they will handle this with 12 skaters currently ‘guaranteed’ spots as this would mean only 6 could get 2. This would mean 1 of Trusova, Shcherbakova, Tuktamysheva or Kostornaia would miss out for example.

My gut feel is that they’ll go with Zagitova, Medvedeva, Samodurova (all guaranteed 2), Trusova, Shcherbakova, Tuktamysheva and Kostornaoia all getting 2, and the other guaranteed skaters i.e. Sakhanovich, Tarusina, Gubanova, Konstantinova and Sotskova (via WS) fighting it out for the remaining 4 places.

Elena Radionova and Anna Pogorilaya also qualify for ‘priority consideration’ for 2 spots under the comeback skater rule just to complicate matters further.

Japan - 17 spots, including Host Pick. Nana Araki with SB176 might get a 18th spot - Kihira, Miyahara, Sakamoto, Mihara, Yamashita, Shiraiwa and Higuchi all 2, with Shiraiwa and Higuchi getting an invite as well as a guaranteed spot via their world standing. Honda and Yokoi 1 spot each via invite, and will presumably be fighting for the Host Pick.

Non-Russian/Japanese Ladies with 2 spots due to Top 12 at Worlds, or Top 24 SB in practice - Tennell, Bell, Cui, Tursynbaeva, Hendrickx, Daleman, Lim, Kim all 2 – 16 spots.

Yelim Kim at SB24 is vulnerable to losing her 2nd spot if say Gabby Daleman overtakes her at the World Team Trophy, but I can’t see anyone else in the Top 24 being vulnerable. Stanislava Konstantinova at SB23 will be guaranteed 1 via her WS if she drops out of the top 24.

Guaranteed Spots via World Standing (non-Russian/Japanese) – Kostner, Osmond, Lindfors, Paganini, Lecavalier, Meite, all 1 - assuming Kostner and Osmond return – 6 spots.

Return/Comeback Skaters – Dabin Choi, 1 spot via invite. Can’t think of anyone else who will realistically return – I am assuming Ashley Wagner and Mirai Nagasu are retired for example. Karen Chen would qualify for 2 spots under the Comeback rule but she competed at a late season Challengers and withdrew after the SP so I assume she will be deemed to have competed, otherwise she should be OK for 2 spots.

Non- Russian-Japanese Host Picks – assuming max likely to be e.g. USA goes with 2 rather than say having Bradie Tennell and Ting Cui at Skate America and 1 Host Pick, that way they maximise the spots for skaters on the bubble like Starr Andrews or Hanna Harrell if she turns senior. Also skaters like Karen Chen who might need a spot.

France 3, Canada 3 (assuming Gabby Daleman does both her events abroad), USA 2, China 1 (Hongyi Chen) – 9 in total

Running Total 67 spots

Invites – final 5 spots and assuming in SB order – Lindfors (2nd spot), You, Paganini (2nd spot), Lin, Ryabova - Laurine Lecavalier and Mae Berenice Meite will already get 2 spots because of a Host Pick as well as 1 via their World Standing.

Just missing out, but next in line if non-returning skaters, injuries etc. – Hicks, Leung, Harrell, Araki, (Yoshioka, Sumiyoshi), Andrews, (Kawabata), Chartrand, Peltonen, Mallet, Schott, Arkhipova, Wessenberg, Rajicova, Craine.

Alaine Chartrand or Veronik Mallet might a get a chance to move up the SB list and get an invite as well as a Host Pick if they compete at World Team Trophy. Not too sure anyone in the Italian team could score the high 170s required unless Carolina Kostner was to somehow return, but I believe she’s just preparing for shows in Japan from May onwards.

ETA - edited to include Ziotic's post below.

Ziotic

Medalist
You don’t have Dalemans name in the garaunteed 2 from top 12 at worlds. Although I think you accounted for her.

pearly

Record Breaker
Yes. In Chongqing.

Wow, I missed they are all already published. But now that I see Vegas, I relize that I did know about that one. For others who missed it:

1. GP USA - Las Vegas, Oct 18-20
2. GP CAN - Kelowna, Oct 25-27
3. GP FRA - Grenoble, Nov 1-3
4. GP CHN - Chongqing, Nov 8-10
5. GP RUS - Moscow, Nov 20-22 (midweek?)
6. GP JPN - Sapporo, Nov 27-29 (midweek?)

GPF - Torino, Italy, Dec 5-8.

Also - GPF 2020 in Beijing.

Ziotic

Medalist
Wow, I missed they are all already published. But now that I see Vegas, I relize that I did know about that one. For others who missed it:

Man 4/6 are gonna be awful timing for my sleep schedule 😭

vitamintea

On the Ice

Wow Kelowna is going to be expensive to travel to!

pearly

Record Breaker
Man 4/6 are gonna be awful timing for my sleep schedule ��

Aren't they always?

But the ones starting on Wednesday and finishing on Friday are new for me. They used to be Friday-Saturday (occasionally Thursday and Sunday, but never Wednesday-Friday).

Miller

Final Flight
Aren't they always?

But the ones starting on Wednesday and finishing on Friday are new for me. They used to be Friday-Saturday (occasionally Thursday and Sunday, but never Wednesday-Friday).

Everything I've looked at has got Rostelecom to be 15th to 17th Nov, and Sapporo 22nd to 24th Nov. What is your source?

Miller

Final Flight
Prediction for Men’s based on Guaranteed Spots, Host Picks and Invites – can’t think of any return/comeback skaters, plus this year’s World Junior medallists i.e. Tomoki Hiwatashi, Roman Savosin, and Daniel Grassl should get 2 spots anyway via other means.

Guaranteed 2 spots via Top 12 Worlds – Chen, Hanyu, Zhou, Uno, Jin, Kolyada, Rizzo, Brezina, Brown, Lazukin, Aymoz, Samarin

Guaranteed 1 via Top 24 SB, but in practice 2 because of the number of spots to fill – Messing, Cha, Voronov, Tanaka, Aliev, Kvitelashvili, Kovtun, Nguyen, Tomono, Hiwatashi, Grassl.

Guaranteed 1 via World Standing – Savosin, Pulkinen, Vasiljevs, Bychenko. Also Alexei Krasnozhon via winning at Egna Spring Trophy. I would also expect the first 4 of these to get a 2nd spot via invite because of their Seasons Bests.

Host Picks – Russia 1, Canada 2, Japan 1, China 1 (maybe – He Zhang?), France 2, USA 1.

Invites to make up the 72 – Sadovsky, Litvintsev, Samohin, Shulepov, Ponsart, Savosin, Nadeua, Dmitriev, Kerry, Pulkinen, Vasiljevs, (Danielan), Fentz, Bychenko. However I'll assume Danielan (only 15 years old) stays in juniors.

Just missing out, but next in line in case of retirements, injuries etc. – Shimada, Gumennik, Siao Him Fa, Maysuradze, Mozalev (also assume stays in juniors – only 15 years old), Erokhov, Yamamoto, Orzel, Krasnozhon.

Rearranging by country –

Russia - (17 spots) - Kolyada, Samarin, Voronov, Aliev, Lazukin, Kovtun, Savosin 2, Shulepov, Dmitriev 1, Host Pick 1 (assume Danielan stays in juniors)

USA - (12 spots) - Chen, Zhou, Brown, Hiwatashi, Pulkinen 2, Krasnozhon 1 (via W/S), Host Picks 1.

Japan – (9 spots) - Hanyu, Uno, Tanaka, Tomono 2, Host Picks 1

Canada – (8 spots) - Messing, Nguyen 2, Sadovsky, Nadeau 1, Host Picks 2

France – (5 Spots) – Aymoz 2, Ponsart 1, Host Picks 2 (Ponsart/Adam Siao Him Fa)

Italy – (4 spots) – Rizzo, Grassl 2

China – (3 spots) – Jin 2, Host Pick 1 (He Zhang?)

Israel – (3 spots) - Bychenko 2, Samohin 1

Korea – 2 spots – Cha 2

Czech Republic – 2 spots – Brezina 2

Georgia - 2 spots –Kvitelashvili 2

Latvia - 2 spots – Vasiljevs 2

Azerbaijan – 1 spot – Litvintsev 1

Australia - 1 spot – Kerry 1

Germany - 1 spot – Fentz 1

Also just missing out as listed above, Shimada, Gumennik etc.

Last edited:

Ziotic

Medalist
Aren't they always?

No, the ones in Canada/USA can be great when on the eastern side of the countries

Miller

Final Flight

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
GP spots stress me out since after the top 12 there can be some odd choices.

Ponsart will probably get two spots due to the French host spot along with his guaranteed spot.

Andrea82

Medalist
Hmmm … "Competing athletes will be confirmed August 15, 2019", says the official USFS site for Skate America.

Seems awfully late? :drama:

Don't worry, they write it every year. For ex., in last year's ISU announcement: The invitations for participation for Skaters/Couples, besides the seeded ones, will be forwarded to the ISU Members concerned through the Organizing ISU Member of the respective ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating event. The ISU Members of these Invited Skaters/Couples must confirm participation to the ISU Secretariat, and the Organizing ISU Member by August 15, 2018.

It is the deadline for Feds to confirm the participation based on the invitations received and to send the name of the judge they are sending to the competition. So the line-up should come out before August.

Miller

Final Flight
Prediction for Pairs based on Guaranteed Spots, Host Picks and Invites. Because there’s only 48 spots in total, being in the Top 24 SB doesn’t necessarily mean you’ll get 2 spots, unlike in Ladies or Men’s.

I am assuming Yu/Zhang return , but don’t think Liubov Ilyushechkina/Charlie Bilodeau qualify for a spot under the Return Split Couple rule, and would need a Host Pick to get a spot.

Guaranteed 2 spots via Top 10 Worlds – Sui/Han, Tarasova/Morozov, Zabiako/Enbert, Peng/Jin, James/Cipres, Boikova/Kozlovskii, Moore-Towers/Marinaro, Della Monica/Guarise, Cain/LeDuc, Ziegler/Kiefer.

Guaranteed 1 spot via top 24 SB – Mishina/Galliamov (also World Junior champs), Kayne/O’Shea, Scimeca-Knierim/Knierim, Pavliuchenko/Khodykin, Kostiukovich/Ialin, (World Juniors bronze, but will all juniors move up?), Panfilova/Rylov (ditto, World Juniors runner-up), Ryom/Kim, Akhanteva/Kolesov (ditto), Denney/Frazier, Efimova/Korovin, Hase/Seegert, Stellato-Dudek/Bartholomay, Walsh/Michaud, Calalang/Johnson.

Guaranteed 1 spot via W/S – Alexandrovskaya/Windsor, Hocke/Blommaert, Barquero/Maestu, Lu/Mitrofanov.

Comeback Skaters – Yu/Zhang 2

Host Picks – Russia 1, USA 2, Canada 2 (including Ilyushechkina/Bilodeau), China 1, France 1 (?), Japan 1 (Suzuki/Kihara)

Running Total – 48 spots i.e. zero spots remain for invites i.e. skaters within top 24 SB but only 1 spot will need a Host Pick to get a 2nd.

Rearranging by country –

Russia (13 spots) – Tarasova/Morozov, Zabiako/Enbert, Boikova/Kozlovskii 2, Mishina/Galliamov, Pavliuchenko/Khodykin, Kostiukovich/Ialin, Panfilova/Rylov, Akhanteva/Kolesov, Efimova/Korovin 1, Host Pick 1, multiple candidates.

USA (10 spots) – Cain/LeDuc 2, Kayne/O’Shea, Scimeca-Knierim/Knierim, Denney/Frazier, Stellato-Dudek/Bartholomay, Calalang/Johnson, Lu Mitrofanov 1, Host Picks 2

China (7 spots) – Sui/Han, Peng/Jin, Yu/Zhang 2, Host Picks 1 (Tang/Yang?)

Canada (5 spots) – Moore-Towers/Marinaro 2, Walsh/Michaud 1, Host Picks 2, including Ilyushechkina/Bilodeau

France (3 spots) – James/Cipres 2, Host Pick 1 (Hamon/Strekalin?)

Italy (2 spots) – Della Monica/Guarise 2

Austria (2 spots) – Ziegler/Kiefer 2

Germany (2 spots) – Hase/Seegert, Hocke/Blommaert 1

Japan (1 spot) – Host Pick 1 (Suzuki/Kihara)

North Korea (1 spot) – Ryom/Kim 1

Australia (1 spot) – Alexandrovskaya/Windsor 1

Spain (1 spot) – Barquero/Maestu 1

Next in line if non-returning skaters, juniors not moving up etc. Also a number of these may already get a 2nd spot via a Host Pick – Mishina/Galliamov, Kayne/O’Shea, Scimeca-Knierim/Knierim, Pavliuchenko/Khodykin, Kostiukovick/Ialin, Panfilova/Rylov, Ryom/Kim, Akhanteva/Kolesov, Denney/Frazier, Efimova/Korovin, Hase/Seegert, Stellato-Dudek/Bartholomay, Walsh/Michaud, Calalang/Johnson

Comment – pairs needs more entries. You’re likely to end up with something like 15 pairs competing for 6 GPF places, but 18 others with only 1 spot, who obviously have no chance. Increasing the spots to 10 per GP would mean far more couples have a chance for 2 spots, and at least being able to go for the GPF.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Don't worry, they write it every year. For ex., in last year's ISU announcement: The invitations for participation for Skaters/Couples, besides the seeded ones, will be forwarded to the ISU Members concerned through the Organizing ISU Member of the respective ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating event. The ISU Members of these Invited Skaters/Couples must confirm participation to the ISU Secretariat, and the Organizing ISU Member by August 15, 2018.

It is the deadline for Feds to confirm the participation based on the invitations received and to send the name of the judge they are sending to the competition. So the line-up should come out before August.

Thanks. In past years, the Skate America site -- not to be confused with your "they" (the ISU Announcement) -- has not cited the date of Aug 15. The Skate America site has been known to give a vague reference to a month (e.g., "May" or "June") that has been a clue to when the GP selections will be announced.
(I do understand what you are saying about the ISU Announcement document.)

Tsurara

On the Ice
Japan 1 (Suzuki/Kihara)
Sorry to nitpick, but her name is Suzaki ...Unless Kihara secretly decided to team up with Suzuki.
I think there is also a small possibility that Miura/Ichihashi may take their place for Host Pick if they do unexpectedly well at WTT and if Kihara doesn't recover soon enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.