Can anyone challenge Papadakis and Cizeron? | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Can anyone challenge Papadakis and Cizeron?

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
I actually really enjoyed S/K this season. I preferred P/C but I thought S/K have shown a lot of progress. I thought H/D had terrible material but if they get better material I expect it to be a closer fight with S/K next season.

Eleanor

On the Ice
I actually really enjoyed S/K this season. I preferred P/C but I thought S/K have shown a lot of progress. I thought H/D had terrible material but if they get better material I expect it to be a closer fight with S/K next season.

This is also what sets P/C apart...as long as other teams don't try to up their game in terms of music choice and choreography, I don't think anyone will challenge them. P/C is a whole package, everything is well thought and polished. And it's something I don't see in a lot of teams.

Casual

On the Ice
And we see it already.It is ridicolous and any people with good eyes and a brain can see how fake it is. ISU is desperate for any team to come up and make some excitement. But there is no reason to prop up mediocre skaters to make rivalrs for PC which is ridiculous and cringeworthy if we look at S/K

I have to agree on S/K being a mediocre team. Way over-scored.

Casual

On the Ice

Even with terrible material, H/D were much more pleasant to watch. They tried out a new style, and made a terrible choice of music. (It was pure torture listening to that funereal howling of a song.) Hopefully, they'll learn and move on to something better next season.

S/K do not belong in the top five IMHO.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Can anyone challenge Papadakis and Cizeron?

Yes, Politics.

Imagine if Ilinykh/Katsalapov hadn't broken up. It's very likely that P/C wouldn't have won a single Worlds when up against that hype machine. I mean, who knows how good I/K would have been all these past years, but if they didn't progress much and were given some cliche programs, it would have been painful to see them win in 2016 over "To Build a Home". Maybe lady justice could have stepped in and gotten them disqualified for doping instead of Bobrova/Soloviev at that championship. :slink:

cell

On the Ice
Even with terrible material, H/D were much more pleasant to watch. They tried out a new style, and made a terrible choice of music. (It was pure torture listening to that funereal howling of a song.) Hopefully, they'll learn and move on to something better next season.

S/K do not belong in the top five IMHO.

Ummm and why don't S/K belong in the top 5 pray tell?

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
Yes. I am very certain that if Sinitsina/Katsalapov just skate clean this entire season, they’ll be getting scores to rival the French team. I am not saying whether I think one team is better than the other. I am just stating how ice dance judging works.

grantjarvis

Spectator
Katsalapov cant challenge them if they continue to improve. P&C would still need a mistake to lose, but they can be competition by 2022.

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
Not sure if anyone's mentioned them already, but I think all of the couples from the 2018 JGPF have a shot when they turn senior, which some of them do this coming season, including the gold medalists, Shevchenko/Eremenko. Will they challenge them right away? Maybe not. By Beijing, if P/C are still competing? There could be even more drama than Pyeongchang.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Ummm and why don't S/K belong in the top 5 pray tell?

Best RD last season and a snoozefest of a FD that never rose above the level of "well that's pretty," nor did it really progress or grow over the season. And they were a team that totally totally totally totally totally totally totally totally totally benefited from the choreo elements and the changes in scoring elements. I wouldn't be surprised if their three favorite English letters are G-O-E.

happycamper2554

On the Ice
Best RD last season and a snoozefest of a FD that never rose above the level of "well that's pretty," nor did it really progress or grow over the season. And they were a team that totally totally totally totally totally totally totally totally totally benefited from the choreo elements and the changes in scoring elements. I wouldn't be surprised if their three favorite English letters are G-O-E.

You mean like all the other top teams who get really high GOE and benefit from choreographic elements? Ice dance is literally who gets the best GOE because everyone has the same basic base value. Unless they don't get levels.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
PC are going to be hard to beat or challenge. I think everyone is used to them being on top. And when it comes to lyrical skating they are butter. No one can touch them.

Ruthypegs

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
Bear in mind that I know nothing about how ice dance is scored. However, my feeling is that Guignard and Fabbri are steadily climbing the rankings (currently third in world rankings and third in world standing). They are a joy to watch and draw in new fans each time they skate. I think they could be serious challengers to PC next Olympics.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
I think unless P/C make a major misstep or someone else catches fire next season and the Olympic Season (or both) then P/C are going to be nearly impossible to stop. It is fine with me. I'm good with them dominating and winning in 2022. They are talented and creative and I enjoy watching them and I think they deserve the legacy that comes with being Olympic Champions.