Which boot manufacturer is closing? | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Which boot manufacturer is closing?

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
No that's not true. Some places may be brainwashed to only carry that brand, but the brand doesn't make it easier to find a fit for everyone, no ONE boot manufacturer fits almost everyone. That is fact.

Again, much is hype. They can market the crap out of their boots and people are going to want them (and more expensive high end models they don't need) because they want to wear the same boot as their fave skater. *barf*:rolleye:

Personally it was comfort that made me pick Edea’s. I have narrow feet for it was them or Ridells, if I recall correctly, and the Edea’s were very comfortable, if ugly.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Personally it was comfort that made me pick Edea’s. I have narrow feet for it was them or Ridells, if I recall correctly, and the Edea’s were very comfortable, if ugly.

I never said there aren't other reasons people pick them naturally, but most and there are way too many examples even on here of this, skaters and their parents are pressured into thinking they will be the next top skater if they have an edea because that's what said elite skater is wearing on the ice.

I'm sorry but an 8 year old does not need Edea Piano skates which was my original point.

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
My parents would’ve never spent £250+ on skates for me even if I was the next Sonja Henie, not at eight. So I agree with you.

It is quite nice though that Figure Skating equipment isn’t run by these huge companies but mostly small to mid sized ones.

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
It is quite nice though that Figure Skating equipment isn’t run by these huge companies but mostly small to mid sized ones.

I always loved the fact that you knew who actually made the SP-Teris on your feet because they were signed. Sad to hear they're closing, even though I now wear Graf in a wide fitting (coaching slippers!)

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
Avanta had a booth at Adult Nationals in Salt Lake City over the weekend so I assume they are fine. I have never worn their boots but there is a skater at my rink who has them. Out of curiosity I tried on Edea skates when I was there and disappointingly the heavens did not open up above me.

Different skates work for different feet- I don't buy that one brand is better for everyone. I know people who skate great in Reidell skates and I had to change from them to Jacksons because they were too narrow for my feet (yay bunions!). I love my Jacksons but I know people who have tried them and not liked them. I am sad to hear that SP Teri is closing though- the more variety available the better for skaters.

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Avanta had a booth at Adult Nationals in Salt Lake City over the weekend so I assume they are fine.
That doesn't necessarily demonstrate that they are healthy [I have no info whether they are or not.]. Often a company in trouble will continue business as usual as long as it can because it is hoping to sell the company, and wants to maintain (or augment) its current clientele base. But if it can't get a buyer by a certain date ... then poof.

Sam L

Medalist
I wear a semi custom risport dance boot and custom Jackson singles boot.

They aren't that different. not like Harlick and Jackson are for example.

And even when I used to fit in both stock, it still worked.

There are many elite skaters that have gone between Jackson, Risport and Riedell with no issue.

My feet fit Risport like a glove because I have very tapered feet. In Jacksons, the toe box is very wide but I don't have wide toes but the ball of the foot was still too narrow for me. And the heel never really quite fit my feet properly. I see a huge difference between Risport and Jackson. But I have only ever worn one model out of each so it could be the models.

But aside from anything else surely you must see the difference in toe boxes between the two. Risport is so narrow and Jackson is so wide they're like the opposite ends.

Sibelius

On the Ice
That doesn't necessarily demonstrate that they are healthy [I have no info whether they are or not.]. Often a company in trouble will continue business as usual as long as it can because it is hoping to sell the company, and wants to maintain (or augment) its current clientele base. But if it can't get a buyer by a certain date ... then poof.

I still can't see how healthy they can be since I never see their boots where my daughter skates. They are literally across the bridge from us in Hayward, and this place (not Hayward) is dripping in money and status, so if there was going to be a market it would be here. Zero local presence, zero. Maybe that will change if Sp-Teri closes, but it's just odd to me. I've even seen more Risport skates at the rink than Avanta, and there's nobody around here who sells those.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
My feet fit Risport like a glove because I have very tapered feet. In Jacksons, the toe box is very wide but I don't have wide toes but the ball of the foot was still too narrow for me. And the heel never really quite fit my feet properly. I see a huge difference between Risport and Jackson. But I have only ever worn one model out of each so it could be the models.

But aside from anything else surely you must see the difference in toe boxes between the two. Risport is so narrow and Jackson is so wide they're like the opposite ends.

You're completely missing the point where my boots are custom/semi-custom.

tothepointe

On the Ice
I still can't see how healthy they can be since I never see their boots where my daughter skates. They are literally across the bridge from us in Hayward, and this place (not Hayward) is dripping in money and status, so if there was going to be a market it would be here. Zero local presence, zero. Maybe that will change if Sp-Teri closes, but it's just odd to me. I've even seen more Risport skates at the rink than Avanta, and there's nobody around here who sells those.

They don't have the capacity to be nationwide and they don't use distributors you have to go to them. They only have about 3 employees in addition to the owner. When I was there they said they do about 50 pairs a month. It's a completely different size business compared to Risport which is a large multinational company.

They are on the high end even for customs at $1200 so I'm sure that limits their appeal but probably ensures they stay profitable. Staying small is a good way to make sure you don't get into financial trouble. But even when I was there last year the owner said there really isn't anyone left wanting to learn how to make custom skates so it's probably a business model that has a finite life span if you can find interested employees.

But with boot technology being what it is there is less and less reason to get custom skates unless a) your at your wits end or b) you just want to.

sandraskates

Final Flight
Country
United-States
They don't have the capacity to be nationwide and they don't use distributors you have to go to them. They only have about 3 employees in addition to the owner. When I was there they said they do about 50 pairs a month.

3 employees cranking out 50 pairs a month???!!! They must never sleep.
Harlick only has a handful of employees these days; I don't recall the output number but it was not 50 pairs a month.

Nimyue

On the Ice
They don't have the capacity to be nationwide and they don't use distributors you have to go to them. They only have about 3 employees in addition to the owner. When I was there they said they do about 50 pairs a month. It's a completely different size business compared to Risport which is a large multinational company.

They are on the high end even for customs at $1200 so I'm sure that limits their appeal but probably ensures they stay profitable. Staying small is a good way to make sure you don't get into financial trouble. But even when I was there last year the owner said there really isn't anyone left wanting to learn how to make custom skates so it's probably a business model that has a finite life span if you can find interested employees.

But with boot technology being what it is there is less and less reason to get custom skates unless a) your at your wits end or b) you just want to.

Have to disagree with this. Most adult skaters need at least semi-custom if not full custom. Every single adult skater I skate with needs full customs to not be in pain. Edea style boots simply will not work for my feet at all. I have full custom Jackson, that I STILL need my boot tech to customize further for me. There was a great research paper I found where over 80% of the skaters in the study were in Edea and 40% of them had Haglund's/Pump Bump. This is from an ill fitting skate. So the new tech is not working for them, they are just wearing them anyway. I started developing that in my customs, so my boot tech customized them again himself, and the issue is resolved.

Many many skaters really should be in a custom or semi-custom, but they simply don't and just skate through the pain.

tothepointe

On the Ice
3 employees cranking out 50 pairs a month???!!! They must never sleep.
Harlick only has a handful of employees these days; I don't recall the output number but it was not 50 pairs a month.

I would think Harlick must do in excess of 100 a month considering how many they seem to sell but would assume most of those are stock boots which probably have a shorter production time if you don't need make a pattern/last for them. Harlick seems like it's much bigger.

- - - Updated - - -

Have to disagree with this. Most adult skaters need at least semi-custom if not full custom. Every single adult skater I skate with needs full customs to not be in pain. Edea style boots simply will not work for my feet at all. I have full custom Jackson, that I STILL need my boot tech to customize further for me. There was a great research paper I found where over 80% of the skaters in the study were in Edea and 40% of them had Haglund's/Pump Bump. This is from an ill fitting skate. So the new tech is not working for them, they are just wearing them anyway. I started developing that in my customs, so my boot tech customized them again himself, and the issue is resolved.

Many many skaters really should be in a custom or semi-custom, but they simply don't and just skate through the pain.

Then that's good new for the custom industry.

How does the fitting process for full custom Jacksons work?

sandraskates

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I would think Harlick must do in excess of 100 a month considering how many they seem to sell but would assume most of those are stock boots which probably have a shorter production time if you don't need make a pattern/last for them. Harlick seems like it's much bigger.

Just the opposite - Harlick is in a small building. I'm thinking their output was about 25 pairs of boots a month. Every boot, every part of the process, is done by hand.

Although they have about a dozen stations for each part of the boot making process, each station no longer has a dedicated employee at that station. Thus, the slow turnaround time for custom boots.
And as for "stock boots", I only saw a handful of pairs on the shelf.
I'd say that Jackson and Reidell have the basic stock boot w/beginner blade cornered. Harlick does not offer anything like that.

bunnybarista

If I risk it all, could you break my fall?~
On the Ice
Warming up this thread again to share something interesting... my skate fitter claims to have information that would indicate Sp-Teri is NOT closing, but instead being sold to George's son and moving the shop down to Nashville. Could be very interesting if it's true!

Sam L

Medalist

I am no longer in any pain with my Risports

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Warming up this thread again to share something interesting... my skate fitter claims to have information that would indicate Sp-Teri is NOT closing, but instead being sold to George's son and moving the shop down to Nashville. Could be very interesting if it's true!

Oh, yes, I forgot to pass this on... I had this information passed to me a couple of weeks ago from somebody who emailed SP-Teri to ask about UK stockists or the possibility of ordering direct. Apparently they are "in the process of closing [the] manufacturing in California" and the "new company" expects to be up and running in Tennessee in August or September of this year. No mention of who would be running the new outfit, though.

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
That would be good if Sp-Teri weren't really closing. The more brands, the more people who can find skates that work for them.

(Also, I don't know if I count as an adult skater since I started as a kid and am not on the adult track, but stock Jacksons fit me like a dream.)

jf12

Final Flight
That would be good if Sp-Teri weren't really closing. The more brands, the more people who can find skates that work for them.

(Also, I don't know if I count as an adult skater since I started as a kid and am not on the adult track, but stock Jacksons fit me like a dream.)

You’re lucky then, I think adult skaters who skated a lot as kids or did a lot of ballet tend to be more likely to need custom boots than adults who did not!

bunnybarista

If I risk it all, could you break my fall?~
On the Ice
Oh, yes, I forgot to pass this on... I had this information passed to me a couple of weeks ago from somebody who emailed SP-Teri to ask about UK stockists or the possibility of ordering direct. Apparently they are "in the process of closing [the] manufacturing in California" and the "new company" expects to be up and running in Tennessee in August or September of this year. No mention of who would be running the new outfit, though.

I'm glad I'm not the only one to have heard about this - makes me more inclined to think it is true! I hope they will be able to maintain the same level of quality under the new ownership. (And, selfishly, I'm a bit excited about Tennessee as that's closer for me than California!)