Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 61 to 74 of 74

Thread: Which boot manufacturer is closing?

  1. #61
    Medalist DSQ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    1,454
    Country: United Kingdom

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ic3Rabbit View Post
    No that's not true. Some places may be brainwashed to only carry that brand, but the brand doesn't make it easier to find a fit for everyone, no ONE boot manufacturer fits almost everyone. That is fact.

    Again, much is hype. They can market the crap out of their boots and people are going to want them (and more expensive high end models they don't need) because they want to wear the same boot as their fave skater. *barf*
    Personally it was comfort that made me pick Edea’s. I have narrow feet for it was them or Ridells, if I recall correctly, and the Edea’s were very comfortable, if ugly.

  2. #62
    "I came to break the wall that rose around you..." Ic3Rabbit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    4,879
    Country: United States of America

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by DSQ View Post
    Personally it was comfort that made me pick Edea’s. I have narrow feet for it was them or Ridells, if I recall correctly, and the Edea’s were very comfortable, if ugly.
    I never said there aren't other reasons people pick them naturally, but most and there are way too many examples even on here of this, skaters and their parents are pressured into thinking they will be the next top skater if they have an edea because that's what said elite skater is wearing on the ice.

    I'm sorry but an 8 year old does not need Edea Piano skates which was my original point.

  3. #63
    Medalist DSQ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    1,454
    Country: United Kingdom

    1 Not allowed!
    My parents would’ve never spent £250+ on skates for me even if I was the next Sonja Henie, not at eight. So I agree with you.

    It is quite nice though that Figure Skating equipment isn’t run by these huge companies but mostly small to mid sized ones.

  4. #64
    Rinkside
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    15
    Country: United Kingdom

    1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by DSQ View Post
    It is quite nice though that Figure Skating equipment isn’t run by these huge companies but mostly small to mid sized ones.
    I always loved the fact that you knew who actually made the SP-Teris on your feet because they were signed. Sad to hear they're closing, even though I now wear Graf in a wide fitting (coaching slippers!)

  5. #65
    Wakabond Forever Seren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    1,850
    Country: United States of America

    0 Not allowed!
    Avanta had a booth at Adult Nationals in Salt Lake City over the weekend so I assume they are fine. I have never worn their boots but there is a skater at my rink who has them. Out of curiosity I tried on Edea skates when I was there and disappointingly the heavens did not open up above me.

    Different skates work for different feet- I don't buy that one brand is better for everyone. I know people who skate great in Reidell skates and I had to change from them to Jacksons because they were too narrow for my feet (yay bunions!). I love my Jacksons but I know people who have tried them and not liked them. I am sad to hear that SP Teri is closing though- the more variety available the better for skaters.

  6. #66
    On the Ice
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    493
    Country: United States of America

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Seren View Post
    Avanta had a booth at Adult Nationals in Salt Lake City over the weekend so I assume they are fine.
    That doesn't necessarily demonstrate that they are healthy [I have no info whether they are or not.]. Often a company in trouble will continue business as usual as long as it can because it is hoping to sell the company, and wants to maintain (or augment) its current clientele base. But if it can't get a buyer by a certain date ... then poof.

  7. #67
    Medalist Sam L's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    1,161
    Country: Australia

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ic3Rabbit View Post
    I wear a semi custom risport dance boot and custom Jackson singles boot.

    They aren't that different. not like Harlick and Jackson are for example.

    And even when I used to fit in both stock, it still worked.

    There are many elite skaters that have gone between Jackson, Risport and Riedell with no issue.
    My feet fit Risport like a glove because I have very tapered feet. In Jacksons, the toe box is very wide but I don't have wide toes but the ball of the foot was still too narrow for me. And the heel never really quite fit my feet properly. I see a huge difference between Risport and Jackson. But I have only ever worn one model out of each so it could be the models.

    But aside from anything else surely you must see the difference in toe boxes between the two. Risport is so narrow and Jackson is so wide they're like the opposite ends.

  8. #68
    On the Ice
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    180

    1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by tstop4me View Post
    That doesn't necessarily demonstrate that they are healthy [I have no info whether they are or not.]. Often a company in trouble will continue business as usual as long as it can because it is hoping to sell the company, and wants to maintain (or augment) its current clientele base. But if it can't get a buyer by a certain date ... then poof.
    I still can't see how healthy they can be since I never see their boots where my daughter skates. They are literally across the bridge from us in Hayward, and this place (not Hayward) is dripping in money and status, so if there was going to be a market it would be here. Zero local presence, zero. Maybe that will change if Sp-Teri closes, but it's just odd to me. I've even seen more Risport skates at the rink than Avanta, and there's nobody around here who sells those.

  9. #69
    "I came to break the wall that rose around you..." Ic3Rabbit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    4,879
    Country: United States of America

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam L View Post
    My feet fit Risport like a glove because I have very tapered feet. In Jacksons, the toe box is very wide but I don't have wide toes but the ball of the foot was still too narrow for me. And the heel never really quite fit my feet properly. I see a huge difference between Risport and Jackson. But I have only ever worn one model out of each so it could be the models.

    But aside from anything else surely you must see the difference in toe boxes between the two. Risport is so narrow and Jackson is so wide they're like the opposite ends.
    You're completely missing the point where my boots are custom/semi-custom.

  10. #70
    On the Ice
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    263

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sibelius View Post
    I still can't see how healthy they can be since I never see their boots where my daughter skates. They are literally across the bridge from us in Hayward, and this place (not Hayward) is dripping in money and status, so if there was going to be a market it would be here. Zero local presence, zero. Maybe that will change if Sp-Teri closes, but it's just odd to me. I've even seen more Risport skates at the rink than Avanta, and there's nobody around here who sells those.
    They don't have the capacity to be nationwide and they don't use distributors you have to go to them. They only have about 3 employees in addition to the owner. When I was there they said they do about 50 pairs a month. It's a completely different size business compared to Risport which is a large multinational company.

    They are on the high end even for customs at $1200 so I'm sure that limits their appeal but probably ensures they stay profitable. Staying small is a good way to make sure you don't get into financial trouble. But even when I was there last year the owner said there really isn't anyone left wanting to learn how to make custom skates so it's probably a business model that has a finite life span if you can find interested employees.

    But with boot technology being what it is there is less and less reason to get custom skates unless a) your at your wits end or b) you just want to.

  11. #71
    On the Ice
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    354
    Country: United States of America

    1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by tothepointe View Post
    They don't have the capacity to be nationwide and they don't use distributors you have to go to them. They only have about 3 employees in addition to the owner. When I was there they said they do about 50 pairs a month.
    3 employees cranking out 50 pairs a month???!!! They must never sleep.
    Harlick only has a handful of employees these days; I don't recall the output number but it was not 50 pairs a month.

  12. #72
    On the Ice
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    244
    Country: United States of America

    2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by tothepointe View Post
    They don't have the capacity to be nationwide and they don't use distributors you have to go to them. They only have about 3 employees in addition to the owner. When I was there they said they do about 50 pairs a month. It's a completely different size business compared to Risport which is a large multinational company.

    They are on the high end even for customs at $1200 so I'm sure that limits their appeal but probably ensures they stay profitable. Staying small is a good way to make sure you don't get into financial trouble. But even when I was there last year the owner said there really isn't anyone left wanting to learn how to make custom skates so it's probably a business model that has a finite life span if you can find interested employees.

    But with boot technology being what it is there is less and less reason to get custom skates unless a) your at your wits end or b) you just want to.
    Have to disagree with this. Most adult skaters need at least semi-custom if not full custom. Every single adult skater I skate with needs full customs to not be in pain. Edea style boots simply will not work for my feet at all. I have full custom Jackson, that I STILL need my boot tech to customize further for me. There was a great research paper I found where over 80% of the skaters in the study were in Edea and 40% of them had Haglund's/Pump Bump. This is from an ill fitting skate. So the new tech is not working for them, they are just wearing them anyway. I started developing that in my customs, so my boot tech customized them again himself, and the issue is resolved.

    Many many skaters really should be in a custom or semi-custom, but they simply don't and just skate through the pain.

  13. #73
    On the Ice
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    263

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by sandraskates View Post
    3 employees cranking out 50 pairs a month???!!! They must never sleep.
    Harlick only has a handful of employees these days; I don't recall the output number but it was not 50 pairs a month.
    I would think Harlick must do in excess of 100 a month considering how many they seem to sell but would assume most of those are stock boots which probably have a shorter production time if you don't need make a pattern/last for them. Harlick seems like it's much bigger.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Nimyue View Post
    Have to disagree with this. Most adult skaters need at least semi-custom if not full custom. Every single adult skater I skate with needs full customs to not be in pain. Edea style boots simply will not work for my feet at all. I have full custom Jackson, that I STILL need my boot tech to customize further for me. There was a great research paper I found where over 80% of the skaters in the study were in Edea and 40% of them had Haglund's/Pump Bump. This is from an ill fitting skate. So the new tech is not working for them, they are just wearing them anyway. I started developing that in my customs, so my boot tech customized them again himself, and the issue is resolved.

    Many many skaters really should be in a custom or semi-custom, but they simply don't and just skate through the pain.
    Then that's good new for the custom industry.

    How does the fitting process for full custom Jacksons work?

  14. #74
    On the Ice
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    354
    Country: United States of America

    1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by tothepointe View Post
    I would think Harlick must do in excess of 100 a month considering how many they seem to sell but would assume most of those are stock boots which probably have a shorter production time if you don't need make a pattern/last for them. Harlick seems like it's much bigger.
    Just the opposite - Harlick is in a small building. I'm thinking their output was about 25 pairs of boots a month. Every boot, every part of the process, is done by hand.

    Although they have about a dozen stations for each part of the boot making process, each station no longer has a dedicated employee at that station. Thus, the slow turnaround time for custom boots.
    And as for "stock boots", I only saw a handful of pairs on the shelf.
    I'd say that Jackson and Reidell have the basic stock boot w/beginner blade cornered. Harlick does not offer anything like that.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •