2019-2020 Programs by Discipline | Page 47 | Golden Skate

2019-2020 Programs by Discipline

Ionan

Spectator
Going through the updated bios of those skating this week in Junior GP, I noticed the RD music choice for Portesi Peroni/Chrastecky:

Waltz: Ouverture (from "The Artist") by Ludovic Bource
Quickstep: George Valentin (from "The Artist") by Ludovic Bource
Slow Fox: Pennies from Heaven
Swing: Peppy and George (from "The Artist") by Ludovic Bource

Can The Artist really qualify as Musical?

It's literally a silent movie. If The Artist is allowed to qualify as a musical, then literally any movie score should also be eligible. And the one song they chose with words, is not even sung in the movie itself, but rather played over the credits.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It's literally a silent movie. If The Artist is allowed to qualify as a musical, then literally any movie score should also be eligible. And the one song they chose with words, is not even sung in the movie itself, but rather played over the credits.

I'm all about artistic freedom and giving the athletes some leeway, but I'm forced to agree with you here.

If this complies with the requirement, then by extension, any song sung in any movie should qualify. Surely somewhere, someone has sung "Happy Birthday to You" in a film. And, for that matter, what qualifies as a film? Do we include home movies?

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
The Artist and The Great Gatsby (the latter being used by multiple teams) are the two major "not a musical" choices that I've seen so far. It's going to be interesting what happens with the teams using the latter.

friedbanana

End Turandot!
Final Flight
A bit late to the game, but I am very, very excited for Fear/Gibson's Vogue free dance! :dance3:

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia

Made me think of the music of Robert Israel, wonderful wonderful music for DVD releases of great silent films...

https://www.robertisraelmusic.com/recordings

Andrea82

Medalist
The Artist and The Great Gatsby (the latter being used by multiple teams) are the two major "not a musical" choices that I've seen so far. It's going to be interesting what happens with the teams using the latter.

Given the PP/C got away with The Artist today (with no judge calling for music requirements violation), I would assume GG won't be a problem either.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
That's now. Wait for their second or third event. That is when the music vio!ations come popping out, generally.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada

What about "The Mask"?

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
That's now. Wait for their second or third event. That is when the music vio!ations come popping out, generally.

Yes, I think let's wait & see. I mean, you can't expect all the judges to know every movie in every country & immediately identify a selection as not a musical. But you can expect the discussion to be held. (And, I would think, coaches of other teams to protest). I remember when Chock & Bates changed their waltz, it was after a very lengthy conversation by the panel after their first Challenger event. Often teams get feedback from early events that deductions are possible, and those teams change their programs prior to the next event. Of course, we're not talking about teams in the hunt for medals here. These junior teams could decide to swallow a deduction rather than change programs at this stage. But the Browns didn't last season. They made the required change. I still think it's likely this discussion gets held. (And the odds of the rules being ignored for teams that have hardware on the line is probably zilch).

Also, I believe the music rules are a bit different for the juniors. I read somewhere that they can use a second piece that is not from a musical, I think for the pattern portion? I don't see how that would validate the selections discussed above, but I did want to mention it as Ted didn't today.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
This season's requirements for juniors:

Music: Musicals, Operetta, Broadway

Rhythms: ALL selected music should be recognized as from one of the following Rhythms: Quickstep, Blues, March, Polka, Foxtrot, Swing, Charleston, Waltz. The number of rhythms is not restricted. The selected music may be from the same or different Musicals and/or Operettas
https://www.ice-dance.com/site/reference/rhythm-dances/

If they are right, all the music must be from Operettas and Musicals

ice coverage

Record Breaker
… BTW, also of note from Communication No. 2257 (underlining not added; I think it signifies new language):

Note: For the Tea-Time Foxtrot and the required Foxtrot rhythm/tempo (108 bpm), Ballroom music selections in the style of Foxtrot are allowed even when not from a musical and/or operetta.

… Also, I believe the music rules are a bit different for the juniors. I read somewhere that they can use a second piece that is not from a musical, I think for the pattern portion? I don't see how that would validate the selections discussed above, but I did want to mention it as Ted didn't today.

What Ice Dance said is correct, per p. 32 of ISU Communication No. 2257, which originally was published at the end of May.

See also the bottom of p. 1 of ISU's "Additional Questions & Answers #1", published on Jun 28:

For the Tea-Time Foxtrot and the required Foxtrot rhythm/tempo (108 bpm), Ballroom music selections in the style of Foxtrot are allowed even when not from a musical and/or operetta.

https://isu.org/figure-skating/rule...1/21513-additional-questions-answers-1-1/file

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
What Ice Dance said is correct, per p. 32 of ISU Communication No. 2257, which originally was published at the end of May.

See also the bottom of p. 1 of ISU's "Additional Questions & Answers #1", published on Jun 28:

For the Tea-Time Foxtrot and the required Foxtrot rhythm/tempo (108 bpm), Ballroom music selections in the style of Foxtrot are allowed even when not from a musical and/or operetta.

https://isu.org/figure-skating/rule...1/21513-additional-questions-answers-1-1/file

Thank you, ice coverage! The document I found the other day from USFSA didn't include this either; and I was so dreading searching through the many-page ISU handbook/documents in a hopeless attempt to find it!