2019-2020 Programs by Discipline | Page 11 | Golden Skate

2019-2020 Programs by Discipline

slotka

Rinkside
Alena Kostornaia
SP Bella Swan from Twilight; Blue Foundation - Eyes on fire, Muse - Supermassive black hole
FS Dario Marianelli - No one ever called me that

Sourse - her Insta

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
Alena Kostornaia
SP Bella Swan from Twilight; Blue Foundation - Eyes on fire, Muse - Supermassive black hole

Sourse - her Insta

The FS music is so amazing, something very new for Alena, I'm so excited for this!

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
Why not both? ;)

why not?:biggrin: maybe it could be a little bipolar doing it in a single program, but surely would be interesting and new.

Oh, wouldn't I love someone to do a program to something REALLY out of the box. Like a super villain.

Or a dance team to do "Springtime for Hitler" from that Mel Brooks movie. Would that count as Broadway - since it was a fictional Broadway show within a Broadway show? I say PUSH THE ENVELOPE!

i'm all for a good villain! i've been asking for it for ages now. i've always wanted a lannister program (to stay on the got theme), an evil queen, a jocker! about "Springtime for Hitler", hollywood musical still counts as musical, as long as it has a finnstep in it.:biggrin:

Alena Kostornaia

Sourse - her Insta

i'm praying this is not an actual twilight program :pray:

sworddance21

On the Ice
Sasha Trusova just announced that she'll be portraying the character of Daenerys from Game of Thrones in her Free Program to the music Pray by Matt Bellamy. I think that the soundtrack could work well for her but I am quite concerned with how age appropriate it may be, considering that she explicitly mentioned the character Daenerys.

She might also want to rethink that, considering where GoT is heading...

Georgya

On the Ice
Alena Kostornaia

Sourse - her Insta

I’m glad they’re not forcing her into the pretty contemporary music box. She skates wonderfull to that, but it’s fun that she’s exploring different genres

it’ll be good for her to do something different and show versatility. A really unique daring choice on their part as well! I suspect twilight was really Alena's wish and her team agreed. For those accusing them of not letting the girls skate to what they want

Georgya

On the Ice
She might also want to rethink that, considering where GoT is heading...

Why? Is there a rule that girls should portray on the ice only "positive" characters?

Also for those expressing dubious outrage that GOT or Perfume music are not appropriate for these girls I ask you to check that 80% of the ballet and operas masterpieces from Swan Lake to La traviata, Madama Butterfly, La bohème and Turandot are really stories about men/women being murdered, girls raped or abused, about suicide or prostitution.

Casual

On the Ice
She should have waited until the show ends. :laugh: But very good taste (in music)!

As I said, Sasha Trusova really should have waited until the end of the GOT (or read the books attentively) before choosing to portray the character of Daenerys. I suspect the poor dear had no clue about the Mad Queen, and was planning to portray a modernized and edgy Disneyesque Princess. Oops! :laugh:

Although, it's still a tasteful choice, unlike Schindler's List or 9/11. (Because, unlike portraying a fictional sadistic murderess of fictional innocents - to an awesome music track, to boot - competing to somber music commemorating the real life mass murders is disrespectful to multiple victims, and cheapens those tragedies. JMHO)

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
Why? Is there a rule that girls should portray on the ice only "positive" characters?

Also for those expressing dubious outrage that GOT or Perfume music are not appropriate for these girls I ask you to check that 80% of the ballet and operas masterpieces from Swan Lake to La traviata, Madama Butterfly, La bohème and Turandot are really stories about men/women being murdered, girls raped or abused, about suicide or prostitution.

Uh, couldn’t have said it better.
As if when anyone skates to memoirs of a geisha they show selling their virginity to mr. Crab in their programs.
Obviously, mostly it’s just to portray the general vibe.
It can be a character, it can be an image inspired by the character.
It’s just a piece of music.

Casual

On the Ice

WARNING!!!! SPOILERS AHEAD: DO NOT READ IF NOT CAUGHT UP TO THE LATEST GAME OF THRONES.
:
:
:
:
:

You misunderstood. :biggrin: The reason I found Sacha's choice hilarious is because I bet that poor little girl had no idea of where the character was actually headed - just as all those hundreds of parents who named their new born daughters "Daenerys" and "Khaleesi", because they thought they were honoring a "Hero", and not a "Villain" of the show. (Since I foresaw Mad Queen from book one, I always knew that name will not age well! :laugh: )

As for portraying villains... Sure! :thumbsup: Black Swan is a skating staple, and it's not a positive character, is it? It's fine to portray it - as long as a skater knows WHO they're portraying (a villain in a tragedy, and not a hero in a Disneyesque fairy tale!) :rofl: I'm just saying... It's funny, how so many did not anticipate a beautiful princess turning into a sadistic tyrant. Please indulge me my moment of crowing, after almost 20 years of anticipation. :yahoo:

(I sincerely hope Sasha is not too disappointed in how it turned out, and made her choice based purely on beautiful music, and not because she was Team Dany.)

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yea - I was hoping I misread that. Kolyada and Chaplin? I'm having a hard time seeing that...

Who thinks these things up?

Let's take one of the most striking, powerful, dramatic skaters in the world and give him a program where he pretends to doff his bowler hat and twirl a cane.

I'm seriously rethinking my stance on the death penalty. Assemble the firing squad!

Casual

On the Ice
Who thinks these things up?

Let's take one of the most striking, powerful, dramatic skaters in the world and give him a program where he pretends to doff his bowler hat and twirl a cane.

I'm seriously rethinking my stance on the death penalty. Assemble the firing squad!

Agreed. I'm not a fan of Charlie Chaplin's programs in general, and while I'm sure Kolyada can do a very convincing portrayal, it's not the best use of his talents. Slapstick comedy vs. deep passion - I see Kolyada's style as better suited to the latter.

Casual

On the Ice
Uh, couldn’t have said it better.
As if when anyone skates to memoirs of a geisha they show selling their virginity to mr. Crab in their programs.
Obviously, mostly it’s just to portray the general vibe.
It can be a character, it can be an image inspired by the character.
It’s just a piece of music.

Oh for crying out loud, enough with Faux Girrrl Power outrage. :palmf: Anything is fine - as long as it's an informed choice and intelligent portrayal, and not a misunderstanding based on cluelessness about what a character or a piece of music was actually about...

Like a Big Spender. :laugh:

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
Oh for crying out loud, enough with Faux Girrrl Power outrage. :palmf: Anything is fine - as long as it's an informed choice and intelligent portrayal, and not a misunderstanding based on cluelessness about what a character or a piece of music was actually about...

Like a Big Spender. :laugh:

Huh? There’s no outrage from my side, I’m opposed to outrages about music, I’m saying that music doesn’t necessarily have to portray all those harsh nuances from the movies they are taken from, it can be a general image of an abstract character (I.e. random delicate geisha), without being dirty, because of the movie plot.

I actually don’t mind any music whatsoever ;)

Casual

On the Ice
Huh? There’s no outrage from my side, I’m opposed to outrages about music, I’m saying that music doesn’t necessarily have to portray all those harsh nuances from the movies they are taken from, it can be a general image of an abstract character (I.e. random delicate geisha), without being dirty, because of the movie plot.

I actually don’t mind any music whatsoever ;)

Apologies, if I misconstrued your agreement with someone who, in turn, misconstrued people's amusement (over Sasha's funny mistake about a character) into something more sinister. :)

Casual

On the Ice
I don't mind any music whatsoever either, except when it's bad, musically. :laugh:

As for subject matter, I'm a bit more nitpicky. I don't like overly trashy. Commercializing Holocaust or 9/11 is also in poor taste, IMO. Other than that, anything goes.

slotka

Rinkside
why not?:biggrin: maybe it could be a little bipolar doing it in a single program, but surely would be interesting and new.

i'm all for a good villain! i've been asking for it for ages now. i've always wanted a lannister program (to stay on the got theme), an evil queen, a jocker! about "Springtime for Hitler", hollywood musical still counts as musical, as long as it has a finnstep in it.:biggrin:

i'm praying this is not an actual twilight program :pray:

She skated this program as EX at the show, I think she is really skating Bella and no one else. But I’m praying for better dress for SP, pls

Tavi...

Record Breaker
I don't mind any music whatsoever either, except when it's bad, musically. :laugh:

As for subject matter, I'm a bit more nitpicky. I don't like overly trashy. Commercializing Holocaust or 9/11 is also in poor taste, IMO. Other than that, anything goes.

Spielberg, who made Schindler’s List, is Jewish, as is Itzhak Perlman, who plays the theme, as is Jason, who will skate to it. Any or all of them may have lost friends or family in the Holocaust. What you think of as tacky or commercial may in fact be deeply personal, so I’m not sure you have the right to judge.

By the way, here is Perlman discussing the reason why violins were important for Jews interned in concentration camps:

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/americanmas...rlman-plays-theme-from-schindlers-list/10761/

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
Apologies, if I misconstrued your agreement with someone who, in turn, misconstrued people's amusement (over Sasha's funny mistake about a character) into something more sinister. :)

Haha, well I perceived that message vastly different from you then:)
I do think a lot of music is taken from scenarios that aren’t sunshine and rainbows, but each skater can portray the character they choose to, or an inspiration from a character, and that doesn’t have to show 100% of the Original story.
Some can choose to show darker side, some can choose a lighter side.
Taking into account how many Carmens we’ve seen, I feel like some are more cheerful/playful and some are quite dark/raw. It’s about what skater wants to do in the end :)

Aka, I think music is just music, I think there’s no reason to be outraged about it at all :)