2019-2020 Programs by Discipline

QueenOfTheRoad

Final Flight
Country
Germany
Mikhail Kolyada
SP: "Wind Of Change" by Scorpions

source:Mikhail's instagram

30 years since the fall of Berlin wall, since the fall of communism in my own country. The song is iconic. I am curious how will translate in a competition program with all necessary restrictions. (such a pity that he doesn't use "Go west" from Pet Shop Boys as well :cool:).

DanseMacabre

Final Flight
Country
Iceland
Satoko Miyahara

SP: Yalla, Tabla & Percussion Solo, Egyptian Disco by DJ Disse - choreo by Benoit Richaud
LP: Theme of Schindler’s List, Prelude in C sharp minor, Hatikva (Intelude), piano arrangement by John Bayless - choreo by Lori Nichol

https://twitter.com/iguana012/status/1131705914912845825

Interesting choices, both musically and choreographically. Though I love the programs she and Tom Dickson created together, I'm really excited to see someone of Satoko's artistic caliber take on Benoit's choreography.

ETA: Here's Egyptian Disco and Tabla and Percussion Solo on YouTube. I'll be interested to see her tackle something so heavy on the percussion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7y1AfVTucc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twv6lFlzd-Q

Roast Toast

Medalist
Not sure how I feel about the free choice, but I'm curious, what is it specifically about it that you don't like?

It's just not the direction I would like her to go in artistically. It'll probably be a very poignant and dramatic free with a vague and secondary attempt at storytelling, like her Madame Butterfly free was. Which will probably be very good but also I fear a bit too nondescript in the upcoming ladies field.

I loved her choice of tango last year, it felt like she was really trying to transcribe a different dance vocabulary onto the ice, challenging herself with choreo that wouldn't be a natural fit to her general loveliness, a program that was clearly enriched by off-ice training and research. In short; a lot of things I enjoy in Ice Dance and miss in the singles discipline, where skaters' often so-so SS means they are entirely engrossed by the quality and quantity of their movement — usually to the detriment of putting actual thought into said movement. See the trend of jam-packed by-the-numbers Eteri-esque programs.

Hopefully she proves me wrong, but I would definitely have rather not seen a movie soundtrack from her.

shine

Record Breaker
Belly dance would be so interesting to see from Satoko! Schindler’s List is too safe of a choice for her though. Was hoping for something more interesting at this point in her career.

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
Satoko could get more than decent points for these programs if she sells them. Very interested to see what she does with them. But it's true I'm not a fan of the main theme for Schindler's list either, it's been used too many times. But good for Satoko to think out of the box with the SP.
I'm less than thrilled about Jason's choice though, I think he'd thrive better on livelier music than that.

brens78

Medalist
Country
Australia
Satoko didn't use any warhorses so no tequila shots :(

Intrigued with both music choices.

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
Satoko Miyahara

SP: Yalla, Tabla & Percussion Solo, Egyptian Disco by DJ Disse - choreo by Benoit Richaud
LP: Theme of Schindler’s List, Prelude in C sharp minor, Hatikva (Intelude), piano arrangement by John Bayless - choreo by Lori Nichol

Agree with opinions about the free... but maybe for different reasons
IMO her free last season was good, but I found mixing Piazzola and Vivaldi strange, did not like the music cuts, but choreo was very nice.
I feel the same about this years free, possibly I won't enjoy the music, but Satoko can sure make it work.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Well it does look like at least some of the Japanese women are Bringing It with very interesting music choices so far.

:agree:

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
Satoko Miyahara

the sp is quite original for satoko, i'm sure she can deliver a beautiful performance. so many schindler's list this year, it's not even some kind of anniversary, but if some competition is on january 21th it would be on point

Satoko didn't use any warhorses so no tequila shots :(

Intrigued with both music choices.

people who care about our livers, how they dare? :biggrin:

Update: Rika's FS consists of: O Virtus Sapiente, Dead Can Dance - Mother Tongue, Sheila Chandra - Sacred Stones, In a Moment of Greatness - Larry Groupe.

it sounds so goth new age, i think i'm going to love it :biggrin: