2019-2020 Programs by Discipline | Page 53 | Golden Skate

2019-2020 Programs by Discipline

evasorange

Final Flight
I wonder if this is the hill many people decide to die on when Yuzuru recycles and not when . . . Adam Rippon, Karen Chen, etc etc decide to

In the span of six years Yuzu, while competing every year has only had 3 short programs. Nobody repeats as much as he does. Besides Karen went through like three different shorts in the Olympic season and now has a completely new one. Honestly I did think there was a rule that you couldn’t repeat both programs two seasons in a row but I guess I was wrong. As for the “entitlement” argument I don’t really get that...it’s not entitlement to be like I’m bored of the same old programs, why can’t he try something new like every other skater does? At the end of the day it is a sport performed for public consumption...

tokoyami

On the Ice
In the span of six years Yuzu, while competing every year has only had 3 short programs. Nobody repeats as much as he does. Besides Karen went through like three different shorts in the Olympic season and now has a completely new one. Honestly I did think there was a rule that you couldn’t repeat both programs two seasons in a row but I guess I was wrong. As for the “entitlement” argument I don’t really get that...it’s not entitlement to be like I’m bored of the same old programs, why can’t he try something new like every other skater does? At the end of the day it is a sport performed for public consumption...

ok :agree:

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia

Yuzuru does what Yuzuru does, and always has. As he said, he's more interested in perfection (and no, the fact that Otonal was better than pretty much every other SP last year doesn't count with him). I think it comes down to what he thinks he owes the Japanese public who support him so deeply.

(Actually I still suspect with no proof whatsoever that he was thinking about Masquerade for an SP, but it proved way more mentally/emotionally intense than anyone envisioned, so not for comp. Also the NHK crowd might not have survived it and Origin in one hit... :laugh2:)

rabidline

Final Flight
Maé-Bérénice Méité
SP: Latin Medley consisting of "Mas Que Nada" by Sergio Mendes feat. Black Eyed Peas and 2 more music tracks*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkifnTLq4D8

Note: Kindly let me know if anyone can identify the other 2 music tracks Mae used! They sound very familiar but I'm very bad at identifying music without lyrics :(

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
I am torn on Yuzuru. He's still my favorite skater of all time, I cheer for him whenever he's skating, and I'm grateful he keeps competing and trying new things, even if the news of quints and 4A fill me with worry for his health. But I admit I am not a fan of the continuous repeats. He wants to perfect those programs, I get it. But there's no guarantee he will, especially given the high risk elements he's aiming for. Is the recycling deliberate so he can focus on those instead of on new choreo? Possibly. But he's so insanely talented that I am still hugely disapppointed he keeps dwelling on old programs when he could expand so much more genre-wise.

StephenGfan

Final Flight

Some top current skaters skate to the same program even if its not to the same music, if you catch my drift *cough* lack of versatility in their skating so theres a sameness to their skating everytime *cough* where as yuzuru can bring back something and it can look brand new and fresh.

I am happy with Yuzuru repeating programs, especially when he is trying new elements and not just, you know, change the music but keep the rest;)Both programs have so much potential and I cant wait to see them.

icybear

Medalist
If another skater choose to constantly repeat their programs people here would be hammering him for only concentrating on the technical aspect and not the artistic and the audience aspect of the program

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
If another skater choose to constantly repeat their programs people here would be hammering him for only concentrating on the technical aspect and not the artistic and the audience aspect of the program

{feeling evil} Well, maybe if the 'another skater' whoever they are was capable of making nearly every performance of the same program feel like a separate work of technique and art in itself...

icybear

Medalist
{feeling evil} Well, maybe if the 'another skater' whoever they are was capable of making nearly every performance of the same program feel like a separate work of technique and art in itself...

After a year of watching the same program, it gets slate no matter how good it is. Like you wouldnt eat your favorite dish for every dinner for a whole year even if it was cooked to perfection.

rabidline

Final Flight
After a year of watching the same program, it gets slate no matter how good it is. Like you wouldnt eat your favorite dish for every dinner for a whole year even if it was cooked to perfection.

Probably OOT but this reminds me of Gossen's First Law.

Ophelia

Record Breaker

But we haven't seen this programs very much. He was out for 2/3 of last season.

ankifeather

Final Flight
In the span of six years Yuzu, while competing every year has only had 3 short programs. Nobody repeats as much as he does.

Why focus on 6 years only when he competed 9 years? what happened to Hanyu's first three senior years, where he, like his younger competitors, also did not repeat programs? Once you gain more years and have more programs, it is normal to start repeat some. For example, Shoma who completed 4 senior years had recycled two programs.

And did anyone hammer Javi for repeating four programs (including a three-peat) and IIRC Patrick repeated 6 programs? Yet people only have an issue when Hanyu do it?

But we haven't seen this programs very much. He was out for 2/3 of last season.

Exactly, most top men competed their programs 8-10 times in 2018/19. Even if Hanyu competed his usual competitions for this season, he will only perform these programs 10 times across two seasons, the same amount as everyone last season.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Quite a few on these Lombardia dance competitors were not yet in our list.

No.NameNation
1India NETTE / Eron WESTWOOD
RD: Overture to Gypsy
FD: "Music" by David Garrett and "The Rhythm Thief" by Sparks
AUS
2Laurence FOURNIER BEAUDRY / Nikolaj SORENSEN
RD: Bonnie and Clyde soundtrack
FD: "Summertime" performed by Chris Botti and "Cry Me River" performed by Michael Bublé
CAN
3Marjorie LAJOIE / Zachary LAGHA
RD: Instrumental Selections from the West Side Story soundtrack
FD: Bohemian Rhapsody versions
CAN
4Yuka ORIHARA / Juho PIRINEN
RD: Mary Poppins Returns, soundtrack
FD: "Near Light" by Ólafur Arnalds; "Waves" by Dean Lewis
FIN
WDJuulia TURKKILA / Matthias VERSLUIS
RD: Quickstep: "Overture" (from "Thoroughly Modern Millie"); Swing: "What Do I Need With Love" (from "Thoroughly Modern Millie"); "Forget About the Boy" (from "Thoroughly Modern Millie"); choreo by Pasquale Camerlengo, Massimo Scali
FD: "Smilies for Y" by Ezio Bosso; "Unconditioned (Following, A Bird)" by Ezio Bosso; "Fortitude" by Haevn; choreo by Pasquale Camerlengo, Massimo Scali
FIN
5Adelina GALYAVIEVA / Louis THAURON
RD: Daddy Cool by Boney M; I Want You Back by the Jackson 5; Gotta Go Home by Boney M
FD: Carmen Suite
FRA
6Robynne TWEEDALE / Joseph BUCKLAND
RD: Overture to Top Hat; Let's Face the Music and Dance
FD: "Rocketman" and "Goodbye, Yellow Brick Road" by Elton John
GBR
7Chiara CALDERONE / Pietro PAPETTI
RD: Chicago soundtrack: All That Jazz and Hot Honey Rag
FD: "La Strada" by Nino Rota
ITA
8Charlene GUIGNARD / Marco FABBRI
RD: The Hollywood Wiz and Reel Love by Cirque du Soleil from "Paramour" soundtrack
FD: "Space Oddity" cover version; "Life on Mars?" by Lukas Nelson and the Promise of the Real
ITA
9Jasmine TESSARI / Francesco FIORETTI
RD: Singing in the Rain
FD: "Lullaby of the Leaves" and "I'!! Take Care of You" by Beth Hart and Joe Bonamassa
ITA
10Allison REED / Saulius AMBRULEVICIUS
RD: Bandstand soundtrack: "Love Will Come and Find Me Again;" and "You Deserve It"
FD: Songs by Aurora, including Churchyard, It Happened Quiet and Soft Universe
LTU
11Ekaterina MIRONOVA / Evgenii USTENKO
RD: I Can Do That, and One from the Chorus Line soundtrack
FD: W.E. soundtrack
RUS
12Anastasia SHPILEVAYA / Grigory SMIRNOV
RD: Grease soundtrack
FD: The Love Punch
RUS
13Alexandra NAZAROVA / Maxim NIKITIN
RD: 42nd Street
FD: Songs by Rene Aubrey, including Prima Donna and Steppe
UKR
14Caroline GREEN / Michael PARSONS
RD: “Screw Loose” and “Baby Baby Baby Baby Baby (Baby Baby)” from Cry-Baby the musical
FD: “Conquest of Spaces” and “I Love You” by Woodkid
USA

Andrea82

Medalist
[TABLE/]
[TR]
[TD]5[/TD]
[TD]Adelina GALYAVIEVA / Louis THAURON
RD: Daddy Cool by Boney M; I Want You Back by the Jackson 5; Gotta Go Home by Boney M

[TD]FRA[/TD]

[/TABLE]

Their RD got a music requirements violation deduction at Lombardia after being called by 4 judges ouf o 7 (judges from Ukraine, Lithuania, USA and Canada called it. Judges from Italy, Russia and Finland didn't) + the Referee (from Slovakia). So they may need to change it

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
The question would be, what show(s) were their songs from. The best way for teams to not get in this mess, with as loosy goosy requirements as this year has, is to file their bios timely, well before their first event, and list all the songs they are using, and the shows they came from. Most of the dance competitors at Lombardia did not do that. Bad move. HUGE! ...especially for teams wanting to stand out by using music from obscure or very recent shows.

Boney M has a musical
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boney_M.

A musical based on the music of Boney M., Daddy Cool, opened in London in August 2006 to mixed reviews and sluggish ticket sales, causing it to close in February 2007. From April to July 2007, the show played in a mobile theatre in Berlin, which was specially designed for it.

There is at least one Michael Jackson Jukebox musical...so One More Chance is probably OK too
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don't_Stop_'Til_You_Get_Enough_(musical)e

They should have been fine, but it was their own fault. They did not file a timely, complete bio.

So while I am.sorry for them, I hope they have learned a lesson.

Last edited:

Andrea82

Medalist
I wonder if the music requirement deduction for music that does not fit the Musical/Opertta theme should be left to the judges. They cannot know all the musicals in the world. Perhaps it would be better that the referee is given the task of checking the music sheets submitted before the event and apply the deduction if they have not indicated a valid musical. Judges can continue to judge the music requirements in terms of rhythm.

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
^^^Thank you for this!! One of the ones I was waiting for... and WOW!!! Love both programs...