My daughter has lost her edge! | Golden Skate

My daughter has lost her edge!

Sunshine247

On the Ice
I’m not sure what’s going on but I’m hoping someone has advice and can let me know what’s normal.

My daughter was skating in what amounts to a recreational boot and starting her axels! So I quick got her into a debut fusion and a coronation ace blade-parabolic. Boots and blades were done through fitter and recommended by her coach, but now she can’t get on her outside edge to save her life. She went from excellent spins(1st in one competition) to now doing loop de loops on the ice. She does pronate and we have supportive insoles, moved the blade, and now even a leather shim under the blade in front. And she stilll struggles. So why would her cheap blades and soft boots be fine and her new boots and blades be giving her so much trouble? Is it the parabolic blade possibly? Is it the blades that she has to get used to? She did pass a MIF test two weeks after getting the new skates but things have gone a bit downhill from there TBH. I just hate to see her struggle with basics that were so automatic. She’s been in the skates just over two months now. TIA!

Update: This just goes to show how crucial and precise fitting can be. Her arches had started to bother her in addition to struggling with her footwork and edges. Even though we did get a good fitter to start with, who did everything right, the boots just needed fine tuned for the peculiarities of her feet! If things aren't right go back and work with your fitters! Kevin from Jackson skates evaluated her after we described her issues and made a recommendation. We ended up switching her to a half size smaller and went back to the regular width from a wide. Bingo! It turns out she is in between widths and her arch and heel need a closer fit. Her toes are right at the edge but that's what her particular overall foot needs. We will just have to monitor her fit and switch when she has a growth spurt. Paying for ice time and coaches while struggling just isn't worth having skates with growing room. In her case any room at all. LOL And we are talking about minute changes in sizing of the skates so that goes to show how crucial it is!

Last edited:

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
With the change to a new boot and blade, there are many variables involved. One issue is whether the blade has been properly sharpened. One problem with parabolic blades is that you can't check whether the edges are even with standard tools. It requires a special tool. You should ask your tech whether he has an appropriate tool.

Sunshine247

On the Ice
With the change to a new boot and blade, there are many variables involved. One issue is whether the blade has been properly sharpened. One problem with parabolic blades is that you can't check whether the edges are even with standard tools. It requires a special tool. You should ask your tech whether he has an appropriate tool.

Thanks! That's been in the back of my mind. Our sharpener is very conscientious but I'm not sure he has a lot of experience with parabolic blades. I only know of one other pair he sharpens. My coaches daughter skates on the same blade, hence the recommendation. I was wondering if there was some property of the blades making it challenging for her as well. Or the overall change. I am trying to be patient bu I'm so tempted to just get her the coronation ace regular to try since it is costing us plenty of ice time and coaching fees to get her back to where she was.

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Thanks! That's been in the back of my mind. Our sharpener is very conscientious but I'm not sure he has a lot of experience with parabolic blades. I only know of one other pair he sharpens. My coaches daughter skates on the same blade, hence the recommendation. I was wondering if there was some property of the blades making it challenging for her as well. Or the overall change. I am trying to be patient bu I'm so tempted to just get her the coronation ace regular to try since it is costing us plenty of ice time and coaching fees to get her back to where she was.
It's surprising that Wilson still offers the Coronation Ace (an intermediate blade) in a parabolic geometry, since it has discontinued offerring its advanced blades (Gold Seal and Pattern 99) in a parabolic geometry.

VegMom

On the Ice
It might be the boots and blades and that's definitely the first place to look. Is there a friend about the same size that maybe she could try their skates and see if it makes a difference? Or maybe coach has some extras that your skater can borrow.

But it might also be self-confidence/stress/anxiety or a physical issue. So check those possibilities out, too.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
The blades. Not a fan of the parabolic or Revolution blades.

Sunshine247

On the Ice
It's surprising that Wilson still offers the Coronation Ace (an intermediate blade) in a parabolic geometry, since it has discontinued offerring its advanced blades (Gold Seal and Pattern 99) in a parabolic geometry.

Yeah that made me nervous but the coach is a fan....

It might be the boots and blades and that's definitely the first place to look. Is there a friend about the same size that maybe she could try their skates and see if it makes a difference? Or maybe coach has some extras that your skater can borrow.

But it might also be self-confidence/stress/anxiety or a physical issue. So check those possibilities out, too.

Unfortunately we don’t have much options there but I did let her struggle for a while with everything being new. And she does struggle with general anxiety as a matter of fact. But right now it’s just frustrating for her. And with so many things in and on her skates I feel like there has to be something else going on here!

The blades. Not a fan of the parabolic or Revolution blades.

Yeah. I should have listened to you in the first place but coach was a fan. So I’m going to stick with my/your gut and try to find a good time to switch her out. I’ll keep the old blades for a while to be sure but it shouldn’t be too big a swap since it’ll still be the coronation ace.

My older daughter needs new skates and luckily I won’t make the same mistakes over again! Thanks everyone!