Dyeing white boots black | Golden Skate

Dyeing white boots black

SmallAminal

On the Ice
Don't judge, but in order to get boots that fit, we had to get white ones. Problem is, my skater is a boy and very young so is horrified at the thought.

I got some liquid Kiwi brand black leather restorer to transfer some black color to the boots; however the fitter suggested "scuffing" the boot with sandpaper first so it would take color better

If I scuff them though, doesn't that take the waterproofing out of the leather? Can I then use a standard shoe waterproofing or protectant spray?

I know they aren't going to look perfect and plan on layering on lots of black skate tape as well...

Advice or experience?

SmallAminal

On the Ice
I know....couldnt find black ones locally right away and he needs to get on the ice soon. Poor kid has dealt with a lot of teasing so this just makes it worse. We are "covering" them as best we can.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
They make dye for boots, but it's not something I would exactly do myself. I know edea makes some for theirs IIRC.

Your best bet is to use black covers or find someone that can make black covers for him that don't go over the laces (get black laces) so it looks like his boot is really black and not white with a standard black boot cover. If that makes sense.

ETA: If you want to just buy him standard boot covers: https://figureskatingstore.com/accessories/boot-covers/

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
They are Risport RF3 Pro. Maybe I should just try black shoe polish and black skate tape....

Black skate tape could work. I really wouldn't use shoe polish it's going to ruin the boot, esp if they are Risport.

SmallAminal

On the Ice
What do they ruin? I assume more than just the "look". FWIW the skates fit perfectly with the toes touching the end...i likely will get a few months out of them as a result.

Schpanky

Rinkside
My friend used shoe polish to dye her son's white leather roller skates black. It didn't really work, instead of being black, they came out camouflaged, but I thought they looked amazing. I also have experience with painting on leather roller skates. They skates I painted on were black. I had used acrylics, but it eventually all scraped off. This was because I did not prime the surface. Yes, you would have to use a piece of sandpaper, or some people use acetone to remove that outer layer, otherwise the paint/dye will not adhere. I would not recommend acetone, because it will damage the boot.
Remember, ours were roller skates and they do not get wet regularly like ice skate do, so you could compromise your boots.

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I would not recommend acetone, because it will damage the boot.
<<Emphasis added.>> Yes, it will damage the boot. It will also damage the user, if proper precautions are not observed. I realize that many users are casual about acetone, because of its common use as a nail polish remover (and other household applications). But it is highly flammable; and you need to take care not to breathe in vapors, and not to get it in contact with your skin or eyes.

Bill S

Rinkside
Country
United-States
Do you have a cobbler nearby? They certainly have experience dyeing leather. They would know what sort of leather deglazer to use first, and have working knowledge of leather dyes, like Fiebing's.

I had to smile at this post because my first ice skate outings were in white leather skates. Someone had given them to my mother, and she never wore them. My brother, a neighbor, and I would take turns using them on the frozen Muskingum river back in the early 1960s.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
What do they ruin? I assume more than just the "look". FWIW the skates fit perfectly with the toes touching the end...i likely will get a few months out of them as a result.

If you dye them you are going to make the leather break down faster and your son would not be safe skating in them the way he would if you didn't dye them.

Again, skate tape and/or covers are going to be your best to make them look black.

sandraskates

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I too think boot covers are the best bet.
If these boots are only going to be used for a few months, you could re-sell them, but a buyer could be discouraged if polishing / taping them makes them look crappy.

I'm surprised (and sorry) to hear that your son is getting teased for white boots. These days I see A LOT of boys in white boots (likely hand-me-downs or starter skates). And I see girls in black boots. "Tradition" is going by the wayside!

SmallAminal

On the Ice
So I decided not to dye the boots but use some boot polish on some areas and skate tape on others. I didn't use acetone or sand anything off. Looks imperfect but close enough for a return to ice on Wednesday.

We have some boot covers but they are a bit impractical for my young kid to manage. He's ok with things now and we talked about how the pants will go down and cover a lot of the boot upper.

He specifically wanted tape over the 3 crystals as I refused to pry them out for fear of damaging the boot.