Maintaining muscle memory? | Golden Skate

Maintaining muscle memory?

Juliesk8

Spectator
I may need to get a surgery soon and wouldn’t be able to skate for at least 1 month afterwards. Wondering how to keep the muscle memory as I recently got my double lutz and also started working on 2loop combos - I really want to keep them

Thanks!

jf12

Final Flight
I may need to get a surgery soon and wouldn’t be able to skate for at least 1 month afterwards. Wondering how to keep the muscle memory as I recently got my double lutz and also started working on 2loop combos - I really want to keep them

Thanks!

I wouldn’t worry about it, most people get it back once they’re strong enough after so short a time. Make sure to do all your PT and strengthening. If cleared by your doctor and coach you can walk through correct alignment on the takeoff for the lutz (don’t actually jump before you should). I struggle with some higher doubles and my coach tells me, rotation is easy, you already know how to do that - it is just the takeoff that differs. You already have many doubles solid so the rotation is already in your body.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Muscle memory is named that for a reason. You will be fine. There are some of us that take a break from the sport for much longer and get all our jumps back in a short period of time. I wouldn't worry about it. Good luck with your surgery!

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Muscle memory is named that for a reason. You will be fine. There are some of us that take a break from the sport for much longer and get all our jumps back in a short period of time. I wouldn't worry about it. Good luck with your surgery!

Yes. That.

Do all your physio with diligence. It makes a huge difference. Also, think your way through everything you'd normally do on the ice. Literally visualise your way through your entire practice, including warm up and cool down. See and feel all the elements in your mind. It helps keep it all to the forefront of your brain, so you don't feel quite as "out of practice" when you get back on the ice.

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
I was never at your level, but I didn't skate for over a decade and took about 20 minutes to get my waltz jumps and spirals back and about 3 1/2 hours cumulative exceed my former Freeskate 1-ish level and to get a new single jump.

Also seconding the physio and what WednesdayMarch said about doing imaginary run-throughs/practice. That's what Yuzuru Hanyu did before Pyeongchang when he was sidelined with an injury.

Good luck with the surgery!