2019-20 Retirements, Splits & Partner Changes | Page 28 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Retirements, Splits & Partner Changes

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
@Ic3Rabbit:
Assuming you are/were a skater at elite level both in ice dance and singles (wow AMAZING! :bow:), may I ask you something? How would you see/measure Daisuke Takahashi as an ice dancer?

As a casual fan of the sport, I thought Daisuke has good skating skills for a singles skater, pretty good edge work, very musical, lyrical, versatile, a great performer and I did enjoy his skating for many years. :yes: But I am no expert, I don't know how he'll fit in Ice dance category. It was Meryl Davis, I heard, who first mentioned his name as a candidate for Kana Muramoto when she was having a little trouble finding a new partner.

Dai admits dance spin and lifts will be his biggest challenge. Especially spin that he worries; bacause in singles skating my understanding is the center of an axis stays the same as skater's body, but in ice dance it needs to be in between of two skaters, meaning outside of her/his own body which is of course Dai never did before (Is my wording correct? Sorry in advance if not, since English isn't my nature language :eek::).

This is the performance they skated together in ice shows in January, with Tanith/Ben :)love:) and Meryl/Charlie:)luv17:): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZlRVMpu-NU Here he didn't wear ice dance boots yet, very basic steps/turns with easy choreography. No expert as I said but unison already, Kana and Dai match each other skating-wise I thought.

I was actually thrilled when Dai made the announcement, as I always felt like he was one of few that could switch to ice dance and do very well. His biggest issue may be lifts as Kana is one inch shorter than he, and also that he's not used to them(lifts).

Alegria

On the Ice
Country
Ukraine
Retirement post has been deleted

Yep, he changed his mine. About future plans:

Kateryna and Ivan are in great shape and feel confident that other countries will appreciate their talents and hard work. Obviously, COVID-19 pandemics affected the chances to find another federation to skate for, but that’s temporary. Couple hopes to continue to skate together, but they are also open to the options where both of them will be skating with different partners and different countries.
From https://skating.com.ua/post/2020/uf...39d2bUP7sV0DKR1e6KGveiGJ2FvO_K_uDb_oLyNT9zRsU

deedee1

Record Breaker
I was actually thrilled when Dai made the announcement, as I always felt like he was one of few that could switch to ice dance and do very well. His biggest issue may be lifts as Kana is one inch shorter than he, and also that he's not used to them(lifts).

Thank you so much for your view on Daisuke. :thank:

I am so glad and relieved you see the same quality in his skating which numerous ice dance coaches in Japan saw when 16yo Dai won the junior title back in 2002 (ah, time flies! :drama:) and excitedly told his team that he was welcome to ice dance anytime if wouldn't work in the singles on the senior circuit. :)

Re dance lifts, Dai says momentum and its timing are the keys. I just wish his right knee will be able to bear the G(gravity)-force during lifts and spins. :pray:

In the meantime he is trying to bulk up his muscle strength. ;):)

A physical training/therapy company called Realine posted pics and video of Dai and Kana training on their Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/ReaLineforEveryone/posts/3020467951324516

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Thank you so much for your view on Daisuke. :thank:

I am so glad and relieved you see the same quality in his skating which numerous ice dance coaches in Japan saw when 16yo Dai won the junior title back in 2002 (ah, time flies! :drama:) and excitedly told his team that he was welcome to ice dance anytime if wouldn't work in the singles on the senior circuit. :)

Re dance lifts, Dai says momentum and its timing are the keys. I just wish his right knee will be able to bear the G(gravity)-force during lifts and spins. :pray:

In the meantime he is trying to bulk up his muscle strength. ;):)

Yes, as a former ice dancer, I can vouch that yes, Dai is correct about momentum and timing, but ice dancers still build strength for lifts. Take a look at someone like Zachary Donohue's biceps sometime.:agree:

deedee1

Record Breaker
Does he need that much of muscle like Zach Donohue's?! :shocked: Then he may look like The Hulk on ice, I'd fear! :drama::laugh:

Off topic. I've just learned a new English word, vouch. :) I used to work in the hotel business more than 20 years and I did use the word 'voucher' A LOT; like how to handle differently 'hotel voucher' vs 'hotel order'. But never thought of checking up what 'vouch' means as a verb with my dictionary. :eek:: Thanks! :thank:

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Does he need that much of muscle like Zach Donohue's?! :shocked: Then he may look like The Hulk on ice, I'd fear! :drama::laugh:

Off topic. I've just learned a new English word, vouch. :) I used to work in the hotel business more than 20 years and I did use the word 'voucher' A LOT; like how to handle differently 'hotel voucher' vs 'hotel order'. But never thought of checking up what 'vouch' means as a verb with my dictionary. :eek:: Thanks! :thank:

Mens muscle would be done proportionate to their body type. Zach is over 6'3" lol! No one should fear, the trainers and the skaters know what they are doing.

Glad you were able to learn a new word. :)

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Did I miss somethig or has something been cut off this thread?

It seems the last few comments from this thread have been transferred to the new thread for the 2020/21 season, as they are to do with next season rather than the last season: https://www.goldenskate.com/forum/s...020-21-Retirements-Splits-amp-Partner-Changes

Yep, what GoneWithTheWind described is exactly what happened.

The member that started this thread, surimi, very kindly created a new thread for the 2020-21 season on Tuesday. However, there was a very active conversation about the splits that have happened in the past couple of weeks that was still ongoing at the time. So, to make the move to the new thread easier, the OP of the new thread was backdated to 13[SUP]th[/SUP] June, and the posts related to the active conversation were moved to the new thread. The posts that were related to conversations that started before 13[SUP]th[/SUP] June remained in this thread.

Don't worry, no posts have disappeared. The only thing that happened was that roughly 2 pages of posts were moved from this thread to the other thread.

Hope this clears things up.

CaroLiza_fan

Bord

Rinkside
Rookie question here - because it is a new partnership will they have to qualify through regionals? will they get any grand prix assignments? how long before they are contenders?