2019-20 Retirements, Splits & Partner Changes | Page 27 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Retirements, Splits & Partner Changes

thorag

On the Ice
Country
Iceland
Will there be a new thread or has it already been made for 20-21 season?

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I don’t feel too bad for the ‘dumped’ skater if it was done decently. After all, it is working relationship and if things don’t work for one of them, he/she should not have to sacrifice their career just so that they don’t hurt another person. However, the person who was ‘dumped’ deserve to be told in a proper way. For example, Atakhanova came to the practice one day and found her friend Kudriavtseva skating with Spiridonov; to make it even harder they were skating Atakhanova/Spiridonov’s new program! That’s not the way to find out and I was surprised that neither Spiridonov nor their coach Pavlova had the decency to tell her before she came to the rink. Another example - what Katsalapov did to Ilynikh. Everyone knew he would dump her and she found out when they were at world championship, the night before they skated! And how Bilodeau split up with Iliuschetchkina, that’s also not the way to do it. In those cases I completely lose any respect for the skater (Spiridonov, Katsalapov and Bilodeau) and would not watch them even if they found a brilliant partner and became world champions.

Well said. (Chris bites lip and trys not to say anything about Maya Usova and Sasha Zhulin and Oksana Grishuk and who wore whose wedding ring.)

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Well said. (Chris bites lip and t̶r̶y̶s̶ tries not to say anything about M̶a̶y̶a̶ Maia Usova and Sasha Zhulin and Oksana Grishuk and who wore whose wedding ring.)

There fixed that for you. ;)

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker

I can set up a new thread to continue this one, but I'd prefer to wait a bit until we get GP assignments or some other delaration from the ISU. The new season is still very much up in the air, so I don't think there's any harm in waiting a bit to see if it looks like there will be competitions, or not.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland

I can set up a new thread to continue this one, but I'd prefer to wait a bit until we get GP assignments or some other delaration from the ISU. The new season is still very much up in the air, so I don't think there's any harm in waiting a bit to see if it looks like there will be competitions, or not.

The etiquette is normally to wait until 1[SUP]st[/SUP] July to start threads that are specifically for the new season (e.g. the housekeeping threads; or the various country threads; or the new season's Yuzuru Hanyu Fan Fest thread), as that is when the new season officially starts. But, this is very rarely kept to, for the simple reason that news starts filtering through a lot earlier than that, and it seems strange to post about it in a thread about the old season.

So, in short, the new threads can get started whenever you feel that it is an appropriate time to start them.

CaroLiza_fan

composer

On the Ice
I don’t feel too bad for the ‘dumped’ skater if it was done decently. After all, it is working relationship and if things don’t work for one of them, he/she should not have to sacrifice their career just so that they don’t hurt another person. However, the person who was ‘dumped’ deserve to be told in a proper way. For example, Atakhanova came to the practice one day and found her friend Kudriavtseva skating with Spiridonov; to make it even harder they were skating Atakhanova/Spiridonov’s new program! That’s not the way to find out and I was surprised that neither Spiridonov nor their coach Pavlova had the decency to tell her before she came to the rink. Another example - what Katsalapov did to Ilynikh. Everyone knew he would dump her and she found out when they were at world championship, the night before they skated! And how Bilodeau split up with Iliuschetchkina, that’s also not the way to do it. In those cases I completely lose any respect for the skater (Spiridonov, Katsalapov and Bilodeau) and would not watch them even if they found a brilliant partner and became world champions.

I’ll have to admit here that I root extra hard for Mishina/Galliamov because of her history. It helps that M/G seem so supportive of each other!

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Who is McBeath? My internet search seems to reveal that she has only done singles. Is that correct? Anyway, I'm very excited for both of them and can't wait to see them on the ice!

Yes, Katie McBeath skated ladies's singles prior to teaming with Nate. Of course, so did Deanna Stellato, so Nate is accustomed to taking on singles skaters as a partner.

this is the original IG post from Nate, and be sure to check the last photo of Nate with his adorable pup, Sochi:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CAwHmJ7Bgkr/

Also, I believe they are skating at Great Park in California? I don't know if that is confirmed. :confused: It will be so odd not to see Nate skating out of Florida:eek:

Go Nate and Katie:clap:

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

I remember when all that went down. Beforehand, the fans were gushing, "She's such a diva! Brava!"

But I remember thinking, "Yeah, everyone loves a diva, except the person who has to work with her."

I suppose I was surprised because they were the obvious favorites for upcoming seasons, but I wasn't shocked that he was tired of some of the antics that had been reported... with the obvious caveat that I have no certain knowledge that any of those reports were true or not. I have very little trust in media.

happycamper2554

On the Ice
I remember when all that went down. Beforehand, the fans were gushing, "She's such a diva! Brava!"

But I remember thinking, "Yeah, everyone loves a diva, except the person who has to work with her."

I suppose I was surprised because they were the obvious favorites for upcoming seasons, but I wasn't shocked that he was tired of some of the antics that had been reported... with the obvious caveat that I have no certain knowledge that any of those reports were true or not. I have very little trust in media.

They both had their issues which made them not good for each other. I'm happy they both have seemingly moved on happily. Although I'm sad elena never was a sucessful.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
They both had their issues which made them not good for each other. I'm happy they both have seemingly moved on happily. Although I'm sad elena never was a sucessful.

I'd say an OBM is pretty successful.

hanca

Record Breaker

If he did not want to continue with her, that’s all fine. But the way he did it behind her back, their coach organising his tryout behind her back, and her finding out from other people and from public media the night before skating at the biggest competition of the year...really classy. Katsalapov may be European champion now, but I just can’t enjoy his skating because as a human being he is a pice of s**t. After all, the episode when he and Sinitsina were kicked out of the US ice rink because of his behaviour confirmed my opinion.

happycamper2554

On the Ice
If he did not want to continue with her, that’s all fine. But the way he did it behind her back, their coach organising his tryout behind her back, and her finding out from other people and from public media the night before skating at the biggest competition of the year...really classy. Katsalapov may be European champion now, but I just can’t enjoy his skating because as a human being he is a pice of s**t. After all, the episode when he and Sinitsina were kicked out of the US ice rink because of his behaviour confirmed my opinion.

Then dont watch him. I'm sure it doesnt bother him

hanca

Record Breaker
Then dont watch him. I'm sure it doesnt bother him

Of course I don’t watch him, and I don’t really care whether it bothers him or not. I am just not interested in him any more. At the Europeans it was nice to have a time to go and grab drink while there wasn’t queue when they were skating. And when I am at home watching skating, he gives me nice fridge break.

readernick

Medalist

He is one of the only skaters for whom I hold a personal dislike. Abuse is never acceptable. It is a pity that he is this way because I really love both his current and former partners.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
As a reminder, here are the splits that occured during the season, for teams who competed in 2018-19 : ...

Ice dance
... Jocelyn HAINES / James KOSZUTA (USA) ...

Norway has a new ice dance partnership:

James Koszuta's new senior dance partner is Maria Bjørkli of Norway.
They started their joint Instagram account in Sep 2019.

Their new partnership belatedly has come to my attention because Koszuta now has been released by the U.S. -- if I understand the Norwegian Skating Association's recent update correctly:

[Lest anyone wonder: Haines/Koszuta had announced the end of their junior dance partnership in Feb 2019. It was an amicable parting of ways, AFAIK. :ghug: I also happened to notice that on one of the posts from the new partnership's account, Jocelyn added a comment to wish them good luck.]

Princessroja

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yessssss I've followed Katie for years and I'm so excited and hopeful for her new partnership!

Glad to hear about a new Norwegian partnership too!!

deedee1

Record Breaker
I hate this assumption that anyone can just go into ice dance like it's not hard. As a former elite ice dancer and singles skater I'm here to say, please let's stop this absurdity. Ice dance takes many years of specialized training and many other considerations.

Yes, there are some singles that transferred over to ice dance at a late time in their career and it may or may not have worked, but 9 out of 10 times it's a no.

@Ic3Rabbit:
Assuming you are/were a skater at elite level both in ice dance and singles (wow AMAZING! :bow:), may I ask you something? How would you see/measure Daisuke Takahashi as an ice dancer?

As a casual fan of the sport, I thought Daisuke has good skating skills for a singles skater, pretty good edge work, very musical, lyrical, versatile, a great performer and I did enjoy his skating for many years. :yes: But I am no expert, I don't know how he'll fit in Ice dance category. It was Meryl Davis, I heard, who first mentioned his name as a candidate for Kana Muramoto when she was having a little trouble finding a new partner.

Dai admits dance spin and lifts will be his biggest challenge. Especially spin that he worries; bacause in singles skating my understanding is the center of an axis stays the same as skater's body, but in ice dance it needs to be in between of two skaters, meaning outside of her/his own body which is of course Dai never did before (Is my wording correct? Sorry in advance if not, since English isn't my nature language :eek::).

This is the performance they skated together in ice shows in January, with Tanith/Ben :)love:) and Meryl/Charlie:)luv17:): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZlRVMpu-NU Here he didn't wear ice dance boots yet, very basic steps/turns with easy choreography. No expert as I said but unison already, Kana and Dai match each other skating-wise I thought.