2019-20 Retirements, Splits & Partner Changes | Page 24 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Retirements, Splits & Partner Changes

Gardener

Spectator
If they have competed for Ukraine, Ukraine would have to release them to be able to compete for any other country.... They may be forced to wait for many years, and there is no guarantee that they will eventually be released.

Katerina and Ivan have now got official documents that they are not members of the Ukrainian Federation. It's not a release but can it be used instead of it? It actually means that Ukraine doesn't want them on the team. Or should they get the release as well?

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It sounded like something really bad had happened in the initial announcement, but turned out that it’s the skater’s mother was coaching. Ouch. I hope they can move to another federation

Yes. After reading the initial announcement of the ban, I thought, "Did they have an illicit party and trash a hotel room? Were they involved in some shocking criminal incident?"

But now we learn it is just some internal skating politics? Crazy.

Gardener

Spectator
Yes. After reading the initial announcement of the ban, I thought, "Did they have an illicit party and trash a hotel room? Were they involved in some shocking criminal incident?"

But now we learn it is just some internal skating politics? Crazy.

I thought it sounded as if they were drunk and got into a fight.

divan

Rinkside
This seems so odd. Did the Ukraine FS FEd not like the skater's parent coaching? Was there something politically or morally or socially wrong with the coach?

You should take into account that Ukraine is post-Soviet country, and while it's now quickly moving away from USSR legacy, sport governance and laws are still largely unchanged. Its governance model is a typical for Soviet era top-down hierarchy, where power dynamics and family connections rule everything and those who's on top of this ladder have zero incentives to care about those at the bottom (i.e. skaters). Person on the top of this tree can literally decide who should be coaching where, who gets the ice time and how much and who travels to competitions and who's not. They enjoy this position and power for decades, and the same stuff is happening over an over, while dozens and dozens of skaters leaving sport humiliated, physically and morally destroyed, expelled, banned (they don't give our skaters who decide to change country clearance as long as possible, just because they can), etc.

I hope that explains the context a little bit.

Ukrainian Federation didn't care about the couple at all. They laughed it off when Ivan's coach was begging for accreditation for month prior to the event. They just don't care. Imagine the most exaggerated stereotype you may have about "grumpy soviet old lady" and you'll get pretty accurate image of 90% of Ukrainian Federation. The insult for them was that couple was super stressed at the JWC (due to lack of their coach at the practices) and dared to fire "official coach" (friendly to federation, one that blindly obey the hierarchy rules, but has doubtful personal and professional qualities).

They executing skaters and killing figure skating very consistently for decades. That's how top-down sport governance works, unfortunately.

GoneWithTheWind

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
I'm not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but Danny Neudecker posted on his Instagram that he and Nica (Digerness) have split: https://www.instagram.com/p/B-SKESlHXWs/
His post doesn't really suggest what either of them will be doing next, but I wish them the very best in whatever paths they choose to follow.

kmw227

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I'm not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but Danny Neudecker posted on his Instagram that he and Nica (Digerness) have split: https://www.instagram.com/p/B-SKESlHXWs/
His post doesn't really suggest what either of them will be doing next, but I wish them the very best in whatever paths they choose to follow.

There's been speculation that Danny already has a new partner (I think there were Instagram stories of him training with someone else) but nothing's been confirmed yet.

noskates

Record Breaker
This is going to be something to look forward to. Alexa is about 2" taller than Haven - I wonder if that will throw their timing off. I guess anything is possible with practice. Best of luck to them.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This is going to be something to look forward to. Alexa is about 2" taller than Haven - I wonder if that will throw their timing off. I guess anything is possible with practice. Best of luck to them.

Your point about timing is valid, but my first thought was that this pairing might be successful because Brandon is good at the things Chris was good at.

Haven and Brandon had a fantastic twist and lifts. He is a strong young man.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
2018 Belgian Junior Ladies Champion, and Flemish Junior Ladies Champion for the past 2 seasons, Amber de Maesschalck has announced her retirement:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B-c307NFSIQ/

She was coached by Kevin van der Perren and Jenna McCorkell.

I wish her all the best for whatever the future holds.

CaroLiza_fan

TeamGubanova

On the Ice
Well Aru Tateno un-retired and is now skating with Kiria Hirayama

So Japan now has 4 Ice Dance teams, what a quick turn around from 1 in 1 season

Komatsubara/Koleto
Muramoto/Takahashi
Fukase/Cho
Hirayama/Tateno

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Well Aru Tateno un-retired and is now skating with Kiria Hirayama

So Japan now has 4 Ice Dance teams, what a quick turn around from 1 in 1 season

Komatsubara/Koleto
Muramoto/Takahashi
Fukase/Cho
Hirayama/Tateno

Preparing for Olympics?

GoneWithTheWind

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
Justine Brasseur has announced on her Instagram that she and Mark Bardei have split: https://www.instagram.com/p/B-sr45EpK4j/
They placed 4th at Canadian Nationals this season.
She says that she's looking for a new partner to continue her career with. I haven't seen any announcement from Mark stating what he intends to do next, but I wish them both the best in whatever path they choose.

gordana

On the Ice
Country
Russia
To me it looks like a hint from Justine that it was Mark who ended the partnership. I wonder which better pairs girl he has found in Canada. :scratch2:

sillylionlove29

Rinkside