2019-20 Retirements, Splits & Partner Changes | Page 26 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Retirements, Splits & Partner Changes

RoyThree

Rinkside
Country
United-States
The thing that stings to me the most is that I never got to see them skate in person. I wish the best of luck on both of their paths in life.

I feel fortunate to have seen them many times in person at the Lake Placid summer Ice Dance competition. There were so well matched in every way. Going to be missed.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I feel fortunate to have seen them many times in person at the Lake Placid summer Ice Dance competition. There were so well matched in every way. Going to be missed.

I wish I got to go see them in Lake Placid. Grrrrrrrrr. Didn't have time or wasn't feasible to travel at times there. Grrrrrrrrrrr.

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Olivia McIsaac has just announced her retirement on her Instagram (can't link to the entry on this iPad). She skated with Corey Circelli for Canada in ice dance. She's going on to Queens University in the autumn.

Corey also skates singles so he's probably not retiring but whether he continues with ice dance is going to be another question.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Olivia McIsaac has just announced her retirement on her Instagram (can't link to the entry on this iPad). She skated with Corey Circelli for Canada in ice dance. She's going on to Queens University in the autumn.

Corey also skates singles so he's probably not retiring but whether he continues with ice dance is going to be another question.

Wow. That's a coincidence - it was only yesterday that I was talking about Corey in a PM to another GS member! I was asking if there was any possibility of him coming home, and bringing Olivia with him. You see, there are so many question marks around the British Junior Ice Dance scene at the moment that now would be a very opportune time to come back.

Alas, we now know that if he does, it will be without Olivia. :disapp:

Anyway, here is the link that you couldn't post:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CARNvplnyTS/

Just one question that Olivia has not made clear - is she going to the same Uni that I went to? i.e. the Queen's University Of Belfast, to give it it's full title. Or is there another Queen's University somewhere?

It's times like these that you are grateful that somebody tags the place they are talking about...

All the best to Olivia with her studies, and with whatever else the future holds!

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I think it's probably Queen's University in Kingston, Ontario that she'll attend.

Yeah, that makes a lot more sense than crossing the Atlantic.

I kinda had a suspicion that there would probably be at least one university somewhere in Canada that is commonly referred to as "Queen's". After all, once upon a time there were THREE Queen's Universities here in Ireland alone! But, I didn't know for sure.

It still would have been nice to have her over here, though.

CaroLiza_fan

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I hadn't realized Corey was from Great Britain/England. I found an interview where he said he came to Canada when he was 3, so he probably thinks of Canada as home. Though he could probably skate for GB if he found a partner from there.

AFAIK, there is one "unattached" Canadian junior ice dancer, Irina GALIYANOVA. She was born in Moscow! I think she may be too short for him; to me she looked a bit short for her previous partner, and Cory is tall and looks even taller because of his body type.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I hadn't realized Corey was from Great Britain/England. I found an interview where he said he came to Canada when he was 3, so he probably thinks of Canada as home. Though he could probably skate for GB if he found a partner from there.

I suppose the Italian surname caught you out. It did with me too! :laugh:

Wow, I didn't realise Corey had been in Canada for that long. :shocked: I just assumed that he was one of the many foreign boys that had gone over to North America in recent years, having been picked up by a girl who was having difficulty finding a partner at home.

I freely admit that I'm not very clued up with the domestic Junior scenes for, well, any country. So, it was not until the 2019 Junior Grand Prix Series that Olivia and Corey came up on my radar.

But, although I have only been aware of them for a short time, I liked them. So, it is sad to see them go their separate ways.

AFAIK, there is one "unattached" Canadian junior ice dancer, Irina GALIYANOVA. She was born in Moscow! I think she may be too short for him; to me she looked a bit short for her previous partner, and Cory is tall and looks even taller because of his body type.

Ah, didn't realise that Irina and Grayson had split too. That is another partnership that came up on my radar during the 2019 Junior GP Series, and who I came to like. :drama:

This is why I try not to get heavily invested with North American partnerships in either Pairs or Dance. Because at the end of every season there seems to be lots of partner swapping both within and between the two countries.

I hope that everybody who wants to continue ends up finding a new partner that they work well with.

CaroLiza_fan

composer

On the Ice
Am I the only person who has trouble supporting a skater after they dump a previous partner unceremoniously? And have an extra soft spot for previously dumped skaters? It’s a pity so many of the dumped skaters have had to end their careers.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Am I the only person who has trouble supporting a skater after they dump a previous partner unceremoniously? And have an extra soft spot for previously dumped skaters? It’s a pity so many of the dumped skaters have had to end their careers.

No. You aren’t the only one.

heartyxo

On the Ice

I feel you with the dumped skaters- I always feel so bad for them, especially if they can't continue. But at the same time, we never know the true nature behind these splits as we weren't there at the time so I don't necessarily agree with disliking the one who ended the partnership. There have been some where they've been bitterly attacked and rooted against for years which I never think is fair. I see where you're coming from but I do think it's better to move on than keep bringing it up.

hanca

Record Breaker
I feel you with the dumped skaters- I always feel so bad for them, especially if they can't continue. But at the same time, we never know the true nature behind these splits as we weren't there at the time so I don't necessarily agree with disliking the one who ended the partnership. There have been some where they've been bitterly attacked and rooted against for years which I never think is fair. I see where you're coming from but I do think it's better to move on than keep bringing it up.
I don’t feel too bad for the ‘dumped’ skater if it was done decently. After all, it is working relationship and if things don’t work for one of them, he/she should not have to sacrifice their career just so that they don’t hurt another person. However, the person who was ‘dumped’ deserve to be told in a proper way. For example, Atakhanova came to the practice one day and found her friend Kudriavtseva skating with Spiridonov; to make it even harder they were skating Atakhanova/Spiridonov’s new program! That’s not the way to find out and I was surprised that neither Spiridonov nor their coach Pavlova had the decency to tell her before she came to the rink. Another example - what Katsalapov did to Ilynikh. Everyone knew he would dump her and she found out when they were at world championship, the night before they skated! And how Bilodeau split up with Iliuschetchkina, that’s also not the way to do it. In those cases I completely lose any respect for the skater (Spiridonov, Katsalapov and Bilodeau) and would not watch them even if they found a brilliant partner and became world champions.