2019-20 Retirements, Splits & Partner Changes | Page 17 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Retirements, Splits & Partner Changes

Nirti

Medalist
Indeed, obviously the same for Javier Raya, who's currently skating in shows and not competing at Spanish Nats.

Andrea82

Medalist
Some new names on IcePartnerSearch recently, especially Pietro Papetti who skated with Chiara Calderone. They didn't compete since Lombardia Trophy in september. It means Italy has no alternate teams for Euros.

After the good performances at Universiade last spring and the seasonal debut at Lombardia Trophy, I thought they could have challenged Tessari/Fioretti for the second spot.

I suppose Italian Fed can send Katrine Roy/Claudio Pietrantonio (can they already compete internationally for Italy, right?) to some Spring's competitions in order to have an alternate for Worlds (but it is not a given that R/P would get the minimum TES for Worlds)

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
After the good performances at Universiade last spring and the seasonal debut at Lombardia Trophy, I thought they could have challenged Tessari/Fioretti for the second spot.

I suppose Italian Fed can send Katrine Roy/Claudio Pietrantonio (can they already compete internationally for Italy, right?) to some Spring's competitions in order to have an alternate for Worlds (but it is not a given that R/P would get the minimum TES for Worlds)

He last competed for Canada in fall 2017, and she was never out internationally AFAIK. So yes, they should be good to compete internationally.

surimi

Onward and forward, Sota!
Record Breaker
Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but I believe at this year's Japanese Nats, the skaters who concluded their competitive career were Rin Nitaya, Hiroaki Sato, and Jun Suzuki? Anyone else?

deedee1

Record Breaker
According to Jiji News, Chris Reed has announced his retirement: https://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20191231-00000057-jij-spo Says he will be starting coaching with his sister Cathy from 2020.

Chris Reed has been representing Japan for more than 10 years as The Reeds, then Kana & Chris. 10-time National Champion, 3-time Olympians, and won the very first ISU Championships medal (4CC Bronze) as a Japanese ice dancer in 2018; the best results BY FAR in the hisorty of ice dance of the country. :clap::clap::clap:

I will miss him on the competitive ice a lot.
w/ Cathy, 2010 WC https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8BxfUvcPrE
w/ Kana, 2018 4CC https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1cCQtYs9nc

Thank you so much, Chris, for your devotion and contribution over the years. Best of luck to you on the next chapter of your life. :cheer:

denise3lz

On the Ice
Country
Japan
Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but I believe at this year's Japanese Nats, the skaters who concluded their competitive career were Rin Nitaya, Hiroaki Sato, and Jun Suzuki? Anyone else?

Hidetsugu Kamata and Sakura Yamada.

They may compete rest of this season like Inter-Collage, National Sports Festival or local competitions.

missviolet

Spectator
I really hope Shibutanis will consider returning to the competitive scene, maybe try Beijing. They are still so young... fingers crossed!

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
i am just hoping Maia gets healthy. I am not sure the Shibsibs will return. It's hard from being the top American team with an Oly Bronze and several world medals to possibly being left as the third American team and not even in the top five. in the world. They are fairly young but they have other goals too it appears in respect to school.

deedee1

Record Breaker

Hidetsugu Kamata and Sakura Yamada.

They may compete rest of this season like Inter-Collage, National Sports Festival or local competitions.

If I'm not mistaken, Shu Nakamura, Junya Watanabe, Junsuke Tokikuni, Kosuke Nakano, Takayuki Yamamoto and Kona Tsuuchi.
And probably Miyabi Oba and Naoki Oda. Every season it makes me feel sad there are so many skaters, mostly those competing locally/domestically, to decide retirement from competitive career upon their graduations from college due to financial reason and/or lack of time for trainings. :no:

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Because I posted in an emotional way months ago about the split of Kyuen Kim and Maxime Deschamps, I thought I'd post some of my thoughts now. I'm not taking back my feelings or my posts, but it seems to be part of the modern pairs experience. Not excusing behavior in the least, but here goes.

So Kyueun, Sarah Feng, and Eliana Gropman were all dumped in a similar manner.

Ashley Cain was dumped by Joshua Reagan, with whom she'd won US novice and Junior pairs titles, in a similar manner in Feb 2012. That same month, Josh teamed with Caitlin Yankowskas ... who'd been famously dumped by Coughlin for Caydee Denney. Ashley has never said a word about it, which to me reflects her restraint and class, but also probably her hurt. She focused on singles and didn't do pairs elements for four years, until April/May 2016, when Mitch Moyer recommended a try-out with Timothy Leduc. And the rest is very happy history.:hap10:

I hope Kyuen, Sarah and Elliana will hold onto hope if they want to skate pairs again.

And TSL says that talks were ongoing, but USFS was trying to pair Deanna with another US man, until she didn't want to wait anymore.

Why I'm posting now .... Just a few days ago, I finally watched Deanna and Maxime's skates from Skate Canada Challenge in late November. And I'm amazed. Deanna is such an inspiration. She's learned a different way to do the 5 Reverse Lift. Maybe they both learned the new style. And they both must have worked to adapt to each other's technique, although some pairs say their technique "clicks" from the beginning.

Deanna is sort of an extreme example of the saying, "time is not on your side." And she hasn't let that stop her. From what I can know, which is only the information available to any fan, she's handled every step of her journey with integrity. At the same time, she hasn't hesitated to do what she judges is best for her. I posted in another thread that, watching her skates with Nate from 2 years ago, I really miss them. But now that I've seen her and Maxime's skates, I'm thrilled for both of them, and even (groan!!:laugh:) for Canada.

Thanks to Sarah Synchro :rock::thank:for "thumbs upping" my posts from months ago (that's why I revisited this thread). I hope this POV is seen as balance rather than as "waffling."

Nirti

Medalist
The parallel has probably already been made, but the evolution of a pair in figure skating reminds me the evolution of couple in a love situation. You are in a relationship with somebody, it may not work well, but you stay with this person, then you have a crush for an other person, you try to hide it because you don't know what to do and maybe not want to leave your partner, you are full of doubts, hesitations... And finally you decide to leave the first person for the second one. And of course for the first person and the rest of the world you become a bad person because you lied and had a hidden life for a certain period. But seen in your eyes, your reality is different.
What I say is very general and not related to any of the situation mentioned, and not especially related to the previous post. It's just my thought of the morning ;)

But we are often talking after only a few news on a split and don't have all the informations to make an opinion about what really happened.

And of course, we are talking about high-level sportspersons, which aims is to reach the highest possible medal... So if you feel you can't reach it with your current partner and have a better opportunity, it may be harsh but you take the better decision for you only. And even more if you are in the situation of chosing between 2 possible new partners. And in figure skating, there are widely less men than ladies, so men have a bigger chance to face this kind of situation.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
^^^ I agree with pretty much everything you said. As so often happens, the reality from the outside looking at actions and effect, is very different from the reality from the inside, experiencing the cause and then causing the effect.

momokong

Rinkside
Irina Galiyanova from Canada is now listed on Ice Partner search. She and her partner withdrew from Canadian nationals due to illness.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Just letting you know that the Junior Ice Dance Bronze Medallists from December's British Championships have split. Lucy Hancock is on Ice Partner Search, while Billy Wilson French is "pursuing other interests" (Lucy's words).

Here's what Lucy put up last night on her new-look website:

https://www.lucyhancock.co.uk/post/a-new-chapter-of-my-life

I wish them both all the best for the future.

EDIT: I was just looking through the full list on Ice Partner Search and saw that Billy is on there too. :confused: Mmmmm. Interesting... :think:​

CaroLiza_fan

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Because I posted in an emotional way months ago about the split of Kyuen Kim and Maxime Deschamps, I thought I'd post some of my thoughts now. I'm not taking back my feelings or my posts, but it seems to be part of the modern pairs experience. Not excusing behavior in the least, but here goes.

Ashley Cain was dumped by Joshua Reagan, with whom she'd won US novice and Junior pairs titles, in a similar manner in Feb 2012. That same month, Josh teamed with Caitlin Yankowskas ... who'd been famously dumped by Coughlin for Caydee Denney. Ashley has never said a word about it, which to me reflects her restraint and class, but also probably her hurt. She focused on singles and didn't do pairs elements for four years, until April/May 2016, when Mitch Moyer recommended a try-out with Timothy Leduc. And the rest is very happy history.:hap10:

I hope Kyuen, Sarah and Elliana will hold onto hope if they want to skate pairs again.

Why I'm posting now .... Just a few days ago, I finally watched Deanna and Maxime's skates from Skate Canada Challenge in late November. And I'm amazed. Deanna is such an inspiration. She's learned a different way to do the 5 Reverse Lift. Maybe they both learned the new style. And they both must have worked to adapt to each other's technique, although some pairs say their technique "clicks" from the beginning.

Deanna is sort of an extreme example of the saying, "time is not on your side." And she hasn't let that stop her. From what I can know, which is only the information available to any fan, she's handled every step of her journey with integrity. At the same time, she hasn't hesitated to do what she judges is best for her. I posted in another thread that, watching her skates with Nate from 2 years ago, I really miss them. But now that I've seen her and Maxime's skates, I'm thrilled for both of them, and even (groan!!:laugh:) for Canada.

Thanks to Sarah Synchro :rock::thank:for "thumbs upping" my posts from months ago (that's why I revisited this thread). I hope this POV is seen as balance rather than as "waffling."

Kind of ironic that Deanna would appear to be working towards realistically a spot in Beijing if Canada gets three spots. And sadly or ironically the US is key to that. Essentially, reallitically, Canada's two team and in particular the second team either probably Evelyn and Trennt or Lubov and Charlie need to place ahead of both American teams who are the teams really where there is the most room for them to beat knowing it will be harder to beat the Chinese and Russian and second and third teams.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Just letting you know that the Junior Ice Dance Bronze Medallists from December's British Championships have split. Lucy Hancock is on Ice Partner Search, while Billy Wilson French is "pursuing other interests" (Lucy's words).

Here's what Lucy put up last night on her new-look website:

https://www.lucyhancock.co.uk/post/a-new-chapter-of-my-life

I wish them both all the best for the future.

EDIT: I was just looking through the full list on Ice Partner Search and saw that Billy is on there too. :confused: Mmmmm. Interesting... :think:​

CaroLiza_fan
Well I guess a new partner is a new interest?

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
If I'm not mistaken, Shu Nakamura, Junya Watanabe, Junsuke Tokikuni, Kosuke Nakano, Takayuki Yamamoto and Kona Tsuuchi.
And probably Miyabi Oba and Naoki Oda. Every season it makes me feel sad there are so many skaters, mostly those competing locally/domestically, to decide retirement from competitive career upon their graduations from college due to financial reason and/or lack of time for trainings. :no:

It is sad but maybe better than in nations where skaters are really retiring because they can't make their national team even though they can score over 190 pts.