2019-20 Retirements, Splits & Partner Changes | Page 14 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Retirements, Splits & Partner Changes

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I am very confused by this talk about Maxime's former partner? The information "out there" (allegedly from Meagan Duhamel to TSL) is that Maxime and Deanna tried out in March or April. And TSL says that talks were ongoing, but USFS was trying to pair Deanna with another US man, until she didn't want to wait anymore.

Now I know I saw in December news that Maxime was supposed to pair with Kyu-eun Kim, but only on boards like this one. I don't follow them, so there could have been a real announcement that I missed.

I find it hard to believe she didn't know about the try-outs, but that's just me :confused:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
… Now I know I saw in December news that Maxime was supposed to pair with Kyu-eun Kim, but only on boards like this one. I don't follow them, so there could have been a real announcement that I missed. ...

My understanding of Kyueun's post from Oct 2018 is that she expected to be competing in 2019-20 with Deschamps as her partner.

Photos of them skating together in a show in Apr 2019:

More photos that seem to be from the same show:

I am not claiming to know the complete story of what transpired.

I do wish Kyueun the best. :ghug:

Mdk0144

On the Ice
My understanding of Kyueun's post from Oct 2018 is that she expected to be competing in 2019-20 with Deschamps as her partner.

Photos of them skating together in a show in Apr 2019:

More photos that seem to be from the same show:

I am not claiming to know the complete story of what transpired.

I do wish Kyueun the best. :ghug:

translation of some of her mother's tweets(@jungnamson) :
An unexcepted situation happened. We are so angry and lost right now.. The Canadian fed made an acception, so we were just preparing to send Max's profile to ISU and go back to canada next week... then he betrayed us.

We just got a phonecall from him.. he said that he had a tryout offer during Kyueun was absent for two weeks, and he wants to team up with her instead of Kyueun. I mean.. I know that breaking up a team is so easy to these guys, but isn't it wrong to do it (to tryout with another partner) when she wasn't even there?

I'm so lost that I don't even know what to say.

thank you for your support to Kyueun.. we're going to cancel the plane for canada and just take a rest for a while. After we walk away from all these situations, Kyueun and I will go back to Canada and get our stuff back. She's too tired to find a new partner anymore. We're looking for some things that she wants to do. Thank you for the support!

*since her mother is a costume designer, she already made their costume for 19/20 season before all of this.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
That is awful. My heart goes out to Kyueun. I wish her a complete healing of her hurt, disappointment and dashed hopes. I wish her all the best in new passions and endeavors, whatever they may be, including if she chooses to return to figure skating, even pairs, in the future.

Thank you for the translation, Mdk01T44.

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So Kyueun, Sarah Feng, and Eliana Gropman were all dumped in a similar manner.

I'm really sorry to hear that. I wish all three ladies healing from their disappointment and dashed hopes ... and I wish all three well in their future endeavors and in their next steps forward.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
translation of some of her mother's tweets(@jungnamson) :
An unexcepted situation happened. We are so angry and lost right now.. The Canadian fed made an acception, so we were just preparing to send Max's profile to ISU and go back to canada next week... then he betrayed us.

We just got a phonecall from him.. he said that he had a tryout offer during Kyueun was absent for two weeks, and he wants to team up with her instead of Kyueun. I mean.. I know that breaking up a team is so easy to these guys, but isn't it wrong to do it (to tryout with another partner) when she wasn't even there?

I'm so lost that I don't even know what to say.

thank you for your support to Kyueun.. we're going to cancel the plane for canada and just take a rest for a while. After we walk away from all these situations, Kyueun and I will go back to Canada and get our stuff back. She's too tired to find a new partner anymore. We're looking for some things that she wants to do. Thank you for the support!

*since her mother is a costume designer, she already made their costume for 19/20 season before all of this.

I'm sorry to hear this, and sorry that it did not appear that Maxime was honest with Kyueun.:sad21:

That said, Maxime and Deanna were seen skating together in April? March? So Deanna just didn't show up for the first time in the past two weeks. That does not excuse what happened.

And Maxime should pay for the costumes.:devil:

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm sorry to hear this, and sorry that it did not appear that Maxime was honest with Kyueun.:sad21:

That said, Maxime and Deanna were seen skating together in April? March? So Deanna just didn't show up for the first time in the past two weeks. That does not excuse what happened.

Well, I don't know, but I think it's possible that people thought or assumed that Maxime was just helping Deanna out with certain pairs elements, getting a different set of coaches' perspectives, and so forth. And that Kyueun, and other people in the rink, didn't really think that Deanna and Maxime were trying out together.

When Meagan Duhamel was on TSL recently, Dave quoted Deanna as saying that Meagan had, for one instance, helped her with the death spiral. Meagan explained that it's really hard (well, she'd never seen it happen) for a team to get level 4 on a ds when the woman's back is arched very high. Which is how Deanna had always performed any ds -- I've always noticed how beautiful it made her posture. But in this points system, it isn't the way to maximize. Which I was very interested to hear, because I'd wondered why more pairs women didn't arch their backs more.

Anyway, I think it's conceivable that some assumed that Deanna just needed a partner to practice with. I think it's been done with other pairs in the past, and didn't necessarily mean a tryout. I'm not picking an argument; I'm just imagining how it might have come to be that Kyueun didn't know what was going on and then felt blind-sided. But imagining isn't knowing.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This is my understanding about what TSL said (and I do not watch TSL, this is from folks reporting on fora and other areas):

1. TSL originally posted a video in early spring where Dave said Deanna was in Canada "trying out" with Maxime.

2. They edited the video a few days later to take out that portion. The reason, and again I'm not sure where I read this and can't quote to it, so I hope it's right, was "oh no Deanna just wanted to keep up her pairs chops and was practicing".

3. In a more recent video, TSL said that Meagan D. had told them about Deanna and Maxime, but that she asked them to delete that part of the video and the "tryout" language. I do not know if they said why she asked that.

Again, I rarely watch TSL, so anyone who actually watches can tell me if it is right or wrong. In any event, a very sad way to handle the situation, it seems. :(

Andrea82

Medalist

Those messages by Kim's mother were dated mid-May. That's the time she was informed that Deschamps was dumping her for Stellato.