2019-20 Retirements, Splits & Partner Changes | Page 10 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Retirements, Splits & Partner Changes

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Tessa's interviews could not make her sound more done with competitive skating -- and from the sounds of it, they're probably not going to be skating in shows, etc. for all that much longer either.

My best guess would be that they're only going to formally retire when their show careers are over, because that's the only reason I can see why they haven't put out such an announcement.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Tessa's interviews could not make her sound more done with competitive skating

Sure they could. She could say, "I am done with competitive skating." That would do it.

But probably she won't as it is easier to sell tickets when people can live under the illusion that you are still competing rather than being "retired." (Though if you really want to foster a long-term professional career, then it probably can't hurt to leave your options open in case you want to return to competition and refresh your brand a few years down the road).

Anyway, I won't be surprised if we get a retirement announcement from them. And I won't be surprised if we don't get one until 2022. There just isn't really much compulsion for skaters to make one. (At least not until they are so sick of fielding the question that they don't want to field it anymore. Or maybe if they want a job in broadcasting for the Olympic season).

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Tessa's interviews could not make her sound more done with competitive skating -- and from the sounds of it, they're probably not going to be skating in shows, etc. for all that much longer either.

My best guess would be that they're only going to formally retire when their show careers are over, because that's the only reason I can see why they haven't put out such an announcement.

Well I think Tessa and Scott are realistic. Though they have many gold medals including olympic titles as Canadians their marketablility is limited. Skating shows are dying and they are not American or Japanese skaters or in Europe so they may know there will be some shows for them in the future but it isn't a great financial future in show skating. I think Scott may try some choreographing. Tessa has more opportunities right now. I guess we just enjoy them for as long as we can.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Well I think Tessa and Scott are realistic. Though they have many gold medals including olympic titles as Canadians their marketablility is limited. Skating shows are dying and they are not American or Japanese skaters or in Europe so they may know there will be some shows for them in the future but it isn't a great financial future in show skating. I think Scott may try some choreographing. Tessa has more opportunities right now. I guess we just enjoy them for as long as we can.
Scott is quite obviously heading into coaching. As far as touring goes, they could quite lucratively do that for a long time yet, but Tessa has said she has other plans. I'm not complaining (frankly, show skating tends not to interest me greatly), just speaking as to the idea that they were contemplating a return. They've made it very clear that's not in the cards, which is why some have been confused as to the lack of a formal retirement announcement.

bunnybarista

If I risk it all, could you break my fall?~
On the Ice
Scott is quite obviously heading into coaching. As far as touring goes, they could quite lucratively do that for a long time yet, but Tessa has said she has other plans. I'm not complaining (frankly, show skating tends not to interest me greatly), just speaking as to the idea that they were contemplating a return. They've made it very clear that's not in the cards, which is why some have been confused as to the lack of a formal retirement announcement.

Agreed. This is precisely why I'm confused as to why they haven't official announced it, especially as Scott has literally referred to them as "retired" in at least one radio interview, and maybe also an article? I also want to say that I read somewhere that they've "committed to the partnership through 2019 and will reevaluate then." (Paraphrased a bit, and referring only to show skating, not competing.) So I'm over here scratching my head about the lack of a real retirement announcement :scratch2::laugh:

Thanks, you guys, for confirming that there's been no announcement! (And for letting me go a bit off-topic haha)

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Split of US pair Chelsea Liu & Ian Meyh, he's on IPS. He's still junior-eligible for two seasons.

Per the Chinese Team thread, she is skating with Zhong Xie for China.

I am not going to say anything.
I am not going to say...

Ach, I can't keep quiet for any longer!

For goodness sake!!! How many times is this guy going to change his partner?! :drama:

Like, even as far back as Summer 2015, I was despairing at the way Zhong Xie was changing partners every season. And Chelsea will be his third different partner since then! :eek:

You know, I thought he had finally settled down when the partnership with Gao Yumeng went into a second season. And when they were doing so well together (never outside the Top 5 in their international appearances). But, alas! :disapp:

Any idea what Gao Yumeng is doing this season? Or, for that matter, one of his earlier partners that I liked, Zhang Mingyang (is she still with Song Bowen)?

Chelsea - just don't get too invested in this partnership. Because if his past form is anything to go by, it ain't going to be long term.

CaroLiza_fan

Nirti

Medalist
How many times is this guy going to change his partner?! :drama:

Or how many times will Chinese Fed made him changing partners? :rolleye:

Usually junior pairs are changing partners quite often in China until they get the results expected, so it's not surprising he had 5 differents partners (and he stayed 4 seasons with Mingyang Zhang). After his split with Yumeng Gao, he was supposed to team up with Xiangning Li, who wanted to switch from individual skating... At a time there were many comments about how Chinese Fed was interfering in skaters career's orientations.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I am not going to say...

Ach, I can't keep quiet for any longer!

For goodness sake!!! How many times is this guy going to change his partner?! :drama:

Like, even as far back as Summer 2015, I was despairing at the way Zhong Xie was changing partners every season. And Chelsea will be his third different partner since then! :eek:

You know, I thought he had finally settled down when the partnership with Gao Yumeng went into a second season. And when they were doing so well together (never outside the Top 5 in their international appearances). But, alas! :disapp:

Any idea what Gao Yumeng is doing this season? Or, for that matter, one of his earlier partners that I liked, Zhang Mingyang (is she still with Song Bowen)?

Chelsea - just don't get too invested in this partnership. Because if his past form is anything to go by, it ain't going to be long term.

CaroLiza_fan
At least it isn't a Reed. In search of the impossible dream I guess. We'll see how this goes.

Nirti

Medalist
At least she didn't skate for Russia in 2018-19 so they can already skate for Germany. Curious to see which one between them and Hocke/Kunkel will take this 2nd german spot at Euros!

Sofia Polishchuk (Russia) is back on IcePartnerSearch. It seems it didn't work with German Shamraev.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
What reasons are they ?

See post #66. Skaters who are presenting in shows or marketing themselves via sponsors tend to maintain their amateur status as long as it can help them procure work. There is a monetary incentive not to announce a retirement and little to no incentive to announce one unless you are looking to acquire a different line of work. Such as looking for a commentary position or one partner looking to continue an amateur career with another partner. (And really, it doesn't hurt to keep your options open. If you are hoping to maintain a professional career, then a potential return to competitive skating further down the road could increase your profitability. It's quite unlikely V&M or C&L will feel compelled to return to competitive skating at this stage of their careers, but there is no harm at this point in time in keeping their options open).