2019-20 Retirements, Splits & Partner Changes | Page 11 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Retirements, Splits & Partner Changes

Nirti

Medalist
They don't mention it in the interview so I assume the question is already resolved/will be soon resolved?

gordana

On the Ice
Country
Russia
She does, but it has never been a problem for a Mozer team skater to get released by Rusfed. ;)

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
She does, but it has never been a problem for a Mozer team skater to get released by Rusfed. ;)

Um . . . Stolbova probably isn't getting released. Hence the reason people are hoping Novoselov will be. It generally comes down to past results & how likely an athlete is to challenge the top athletes from one's own Federation. Russia lets a lot of quite competitive athletes go, but even the Russian Fed has its limits.

hanca

Record Breaker
Um . . . Stolbova probably isn't getting released. Hence the reason people are hoping Novoselov will be. It generally comes down to past results & how likely an athlete is to challenge the top athletes from one's own Federation. Russia lets a lot of quite competitive athletes go, but even the Russian Fed has its limits.

It’s not as straightforward as you think. It is not down to past results because Osipova had never that brilliant results, although a few competitions while skating with Galliamov didn’t look that bad. She wasn’t released to skate with Bidar. Akopova was nobody. No results at all. She wasn’t released to skate for Australia. It seems that it is either very random (did the request came on the day when the person in charge is in good mood?) or there is a huge amount of politicking which we don’t see into.

I was wondering whether making the interview with Pavlova saying she would skate for Germany was a gentle push to force the federation release her otherwise they would look bad (there could be another interview explaining that they won’t skate together after all because she wasn’t released). Or maybe they made the interview because they feel so confident that she will be released, perhaps because Moser is very good at politicking and is pushing the right buttons to make it happen.

lyverbird1

Final Flight
I would love if anyone had any information about Elena's plans for the future. I'm not big on social media so don't avail of Instagram etc. I was still holding out hope that she could stage a big comeback in the last couple of years but it seems a very faint hope at best now, especially with the three graduates into seniors in Russia this year. I'll miss her absolute star quality.

And as an aside, I'll take nothing as official until it's stamped, filed and pinned to the notice board in triplicate as regards retirements. I'll use the Bond analogy - after Spectre, Daniel Craig was asked if he would be back to reprise the role of James Bond to which he replied at the time “Now? I’d rather … slash my wrists,” he replied. “No, not at the moment. Not at all. That’s fine. I’m over it at the moment. We’re done. All I want to do is move on.” He will be in the 25th Bond movie due this year! So hopefully, some of our favourite skaters either making talk about retirement without saying it out loud absolutely officially etc or some of those widely rumoured to be finished will stay around for another little while...

LenaRadiFan

On the Ice
I would love if anyone had any information about Elena's plans for the future. I'm not big on social media so don't avail of Instagram etc. I was still holding out hope that she could stage a big comeback in the last couple of years but it seems a very faint hope at best now, especially with the three graduates into seniors in Russia this year. I'll miss her absolute star quality.

And as an aside, I'll take nothing as official until it's stamped, filed and pinned to the notice board in triplicate as regards retirements. I'll use the Bond analogy - after Spectre, Daniel Craig was asked if he would be back to reprise the role of James Bond to which he replied at the time “Now? I’d rather … slash my wrists,” he replied. “No, not at the moment. Not at all. That’s fine. I’m over it at the moment. We’re done. All I want to do is move on.” He will be in the 25th Bond movie due this year! So hopefully, some of our favourite skaters either making talk about retirement without saying it out loud absolutely officially etc or some of those widely rumoured to be finished will stay around for another little while...
As much as I know Elena hasn't talked at all about possible retirement or coming back next season. She looks in a really good place right now and quite happy though, judging from interviews.

Also, as much as I would love for her to come back, I don't think she attended any training camp this summer, but rather actually had some master classes at some camps. Also she seems very happy commentating and doing some coaching :)

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
See post #66. Skaters who are presenting in shows or marketing themselves via sponsors tend to maintain their amateur status as long as it can help them procure work. There is a monetary incentive not to announce a retirement and little to no incentive to announce one unless you are looking to acquire a different line of work. Such as looking for a commentary position or one partner looking to continue an amateur career with another partner. (And really, it doesn't hurt to keep your options open. If you are hoping to maintain a professional career, then a potential return to competitive skating further down the road could increase your profitability. It's quite unlikely V&M or C&L will feel compelled to return to competitive skating at this stage of their careers, but there is no harm at this point in time in keeping their options open).

Hmm, Weapo they may have chosen poor words to announce their stepping away from competition and they have no world or olympic title unlike Virtue and Moir or the Italians.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
WeaPo are two time (back to back) GPF champions and 3 time Canadian Champs, plus a whole slew of other medals. There are skaters out there making a major living off of show skating and more with way less than that.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
.... and just looking at them on ice.. they are gorgeous... any show presenter would want them on the ice, as well as on the marketing materials ...

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
They certainly are a very aesthetically pleasing and handsome team. Their skating isn't so bad too - sarcasm :) What I was trying to get at is if V and M and the Italians are strategically not saying retirement maybe WEAPO would have been wise to as well. I wonder if they would come back to competitive skating if there was a realistic chance Canada could win a team olympic medal? Right now that doesn't look great. Retirements are for many reasons or stepping away from competition but if Gogolev, Nam or Messing get into top five fighting range not impossible, Gabby comes back really strong - Canada is back fighting for the bronze?

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... What I was trying to get at is if V and M and the Italians are strategically not saying retirement maybe WEAPO would have been wise to as well. …

But W/P have not used the word "retirement" (AFAIK), so I don't know why you're implying that they have????

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
i think you need to leave the team medal alone until the season of the olympics... anybody can gain or lose momentum... anyone can suffer an injury... and yes, some countries have more depth than others in some categories but I doubt Canada will be in trouble in more than 1 event at that point, which is all you need to win a medal. Just look at sochi : none of the Canadians won gold individually... our pairs were not really podium favourites... Plushy scored all the points he could get ahead of people skating probably slightly better than he was back then at the end of his career... VM were behind DW... and Kaetlyn was brand new... well.. Canada got silver. ... you can speculate all you want on the team event but two years is an eternity in sport to make predictions... and as far as I know... there is no guarantee that the front runner will want to do both events... look at France not sending P/C this time around... Someone like Yuzuru could be entering last olympics and not want to do the event... China may prefer to let go of the uncertain team event (no dance, no ladies) to focus on individual medals and not send sui/han, boyang.. etc... so let's just wait and see.... :pray: i beg you to drop the team event situation until further notice.. it's getting heavy

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
I agree with almost everything you said 4everchan, but I also think it's not unwise to keep in mind that athletes could come back into competition for the purpose of chasing a team medal. Better to consider the possibility than to feel blindsided when one suddenly finds one's favorite athlete(s) facing that type of competition. We saw it with Plushenko and Virtue & Moir and Carolina. In the latter two scenarios not the only reason for coming back, but I think in all three cases a significant factor.

bunnybarista

If I risk it all, could you break my fall?~
On the Ice
It all depends whether both of them want to continue show skating.

I think this is precisely what's at play with WeaPo right now. Kaitlyn's post hinted that Andrew isn't certain about continuing, which might rule out show skating as well as competitive skating.

Nirti

Medalist
Chloe Choinard (Canada) is on IPS, so no senior beginnings for her and Mathieu Ostiguy.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Chloe Choinard (Canada) is on IPS, so no senior beginnings for her and Mathieu Ostiguy.

I'm not sure if it was discussed on this forum, but Mathieu posted a long message about it on his Facebook page in early July - the main reason he gave was the lack of height difference, and he says he plans to take a break and see how he feels, but that he'll probably come back and keep skating (paraphrasing from my memory of it).