2019-20 Retirements, Splits & Partner Changes | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Retirements, Splits & Partner Changes

Nirti

Medalist
Thanks. But neither were on IcePartner Search nor was there any split of any kind. There is a Zachary Freedman on there so perhaps mistaken identity (I had to take a double take initially too).

Oops! So it seems I confused both skaters, as I didn't have Gillett & Freedman on my retired list... Sorry for the mistake! So no filipino pair anymore.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Annika Hocke/Ruben Blommaert (Germany) parted way

https://www.instagram.com/p/BwSXGxbnN8b/

I just read about that too. What a shame, only two years together. They had a lot of problems with injuries in the second, though their first year was pretty succesful (reached the final at the OG). I saw them at the Challenge Cup where they were finally turning all the misfortune around (at least that was what I was thinking), and they didn't do too bad at Worlds either. Hoping they won't quit the sport altogether.

surimi

Onward and forward, Sota!
Record Breaker
That's a shame, I kind of liked them although Hase/Seegert made a bigger impression on me this season. I wonder about how many pairs are actually going to be able to enter the new season...

SorrySkater

On the Ice
I have a totally crazy idea: Deanna Stellato and Rockne Brubaker could team up. That would allow Deanna to move back home to Chicago, and it would give Rockne one last shot at the Olympics. Heck, his wife could be their coach. He was a phenomenal pairs skater who always seemed to have bad luck with his partners. Would Rockne be interested in coming out of retirement at all? Would they be a good match, size-wise?

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I have a totally crazy idea: Deanna Stellato and Rockne Brubaker could team up. That would allow Deanna to move back home to Chicago, and it would give Rockne one last shot at the Olympics. Heck, his wife could be their coach. He was a phenomenal pairs skater who always seemed to have bad luck with his partners. Would Rockne be interested in coming out of retirement at all? Would they be a good match, size-wise?

Rockne is going to become a Dad very soon, so I think he will have enough on his plate.

In case you hadn't heard, here is how Stefania made the announcement, back on Christmas Day.

CaroLiza_fan

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
What about Deanna and Ruben Blommaert (I know there would be citizenship issues, but if they don't mind just competing internationally without the Olympics)?

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What about Deanna and Ruben Blommaert (I know there would be citizenship issues, but if they don't mind just competing internationally without the Olympics)?

I had the same brief thought, although Deanna seemed pretty committed to trying for the Oly team.

Of course Deanna just followed Ruben on IG; which means nothing but that she followed him, but still:laugh:

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

I think that's a spectacular idea. I love Rockne's skating, and as you said he had bad luck with partners. I see CaroLiza's post about a baby coming, but I think it would be doable. Deanna wants the olympic experience.

SorrySkater

On the Ice

I totally missed that news. Congrats to Rockne and Stefania!

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Since Max is quitting, is Winter quitting as well, or is she looking for another partner?

bunnybarista

If I risk it all, could you break my fall?~
On the Ice
Rockne is going to become a Dad very soon, so I think he will have enough on his plate.

In case you hadn't heard, here is how Stefania made the announcement, back on Christmas Day.

CaroLiza_fan

On top of that, he's the skating director at a rink outside of Chicago (Fox Valley) and that's probably keeping him quite busy, too.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I wonder if Nate would consider reconnecting with Felicia Zhang. They were such a strong pair with such potential.

They were a charming team:)

I see nothing from Felicia that indicates she wants to return to competitive skating, although I don’t follow her every move;)

Nate and Felicia had the skate of their lives at US Nats in 2014. Nate and Felicia made the Oly team. Nate has probably achieved most of the goals reasonably available in his skating career and needed to work essentially 14 hours a day to earn a living and train for competitive skating asa pair with Deanna. I would think he is seriously considering retirement (based on no more other than what I just said).

Deanna, on the other hand, girl’s got game:biggrin:

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I hope Deanna finds a great partner and coaching situation - she is driven and not done yet. I don't think she'd return to singles, though, even though she can do all the jumps at almost 36!

DonP

Rinkside
With the break-up of Teodora Markova & Simon Daze, who trained at Gadbois this means that Mina Zdravkova & Christopher Davis are now Bulgarian #1 Ice Dancers, who train at Lee Valley in London.
Why are you sure about the #1 ? Maybe the girl found a very, very strong new partner and will quickly become #1 again with him ;) Or the boy... or... You never know. :) This is a sport, a competition.

La Rhumba

Supporting All British Skaters!
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Why are you sure about the #1 ? Maybe the girl found a very, very strong new partner and will quickly become #1 again with him ;) Or the boy... or... You never know. :) This is a sport, a competition.

Isn't Simon Daze French Canadian? So his qualification to skate for Bulgaria may've ended with the breakup of his partnership with Teodora. I know you're a fan of hers, however the fact is for now, the new #1 Bulgarians are Zdravkova & Davis.

DonP

Rinkside
Isn't Simon Daze French Canadian? So his qualification to skate for Bulgaria may've ended with the breakup of his partnership with Teodora. I know you're a fan of hers, however the fact is for now, the new #1 Bulgarians are Zdravkova & Davis.

Yes, I am a fan of hers, she is not on ice partner search, that is why I am thinking she may have already partnered-up with a very strong new partner. No competitions yet, so no facts about #1, #2 e.t.c. ;)