2019-20 Retirements, Splits & Partner Changes | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Retirements, Splits & Partner Changes

TarAncalime

On the Ice
I just read about that too. What a shame, only two years together. They had a lot of problems with injuries in the second, though their first year was pretty succesful (reached the final at the OG). I saw them at the Challenge Cup where they were finally turning all the misfortune around (at least that was what I was thinking), and they didn't do too bad at Worlds either. Hoping they won't quit the sport altogether.

I have a crazy idea too: How about Annika Hocke/Martin Bidar as a pair and Aljona Savchenko as a coach training in Oberstdorf? #dreambig

Princessroja

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I have a crazy idea too: How about Annika Hocke/Martin Bidar as a pair and Aljona Savchenko as a coach training in Oberstdorf? #dreambig

I don't think that's all that crazy, to be honest. They could be a decent pair, and they're both young.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands

I like it. Don't know if it's at all possible (Martin just skated at Worlds with a new partner) and there are of course some country challenges to cope with, but I can visualise them skating together very well!

Sabine

On the Ice
I like your idea. When Martin split up with Anna (a pair I really liked) he was looking for improvement. The partner he has found is probably not what he was looking for. No offence to Hanna Abrazevich, she is new to pairs and will probably learn a bit more of pair skating, but she doesn't have the skating skills and the spark to match with Martin. Annika seems to have the whole package. Both could have a great future. Yes there will be federation issues, but this can be solved and as far as they are both young what would be one "lost" year compared to the many great years they could have as a pair. I guess I would be a fan of this team.

surimi

Onward and forward, Sota!
Record Breaker
I want Martin to keep skating for the Czech Republic so I'm not thrilled by that idea. I think he has a longer future ahead of him than Anna and Radek. Plus I don't think changing partners too often is good for any pair or dance skater.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I want Martin to keep skating for the Czech Republic so I'm not thrilled by that idea. I think he has a longer future ahead of him than Anna and Radek. Plus I don't think changing partners too often is good for any pair or dance skater.

I haven't formed an opinion on Anna and Radek yet, for the simple reason that I haven't seen them skating together yet. But, I agree with everything else you have said.

With regards the final sentence, I recently made a Fan Fest for a skater who has been doing Ice Dance alongside his Singles skating for quite a few years. And he has literally had a different partner every season. (Well, strictly speaking, it was 5 partners in 6 seasons, because he had a season just doing singles in between his second and third partners).

That really can't be good for making progress in your career.

This season, he jacked in the Singles skating, got a foreign partner for the first time, and switched to representing her country. And they have been looking very promising. However, a couple of weeks ago they withdrew from a competition in his home country that he always does. And I instantly thought "right, that's another partnership ended". (I should add, this isn't based on anything other than his history).

I don't want to see Martin potentially get into that situation. If I were him, I would stay with Hanna for another season, and then have an evaluation of where they are at. That way, they can not only gauge if they are progressing at a quick enough rate, but they can also see where they are in relation to Anna and Radek. And at the end of next season, they will have a better idea if there is milage in this partnership.

Unless you just aren't getting along with each other, one season isn't enough to make an informed decision on whether a partnership has a future. You are still learning about each other in your first season together. You need at least 2 seasons to get a fuller picture.

But, that's just my thoughts.

CaroLiza_fan

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
In Martin's case, he didn't even skate a full competitive season with Hanna, especially if you consider that she's a total newcomer. They have a good base of elements. There's just a lot of work to be done.

Nirti

Medalist
Already the end for the only israeli senior dancers, Vadim Davidovich is listed on IcePartnerSearch. He mentions his israeli citizenship, so probably he intends to continue to skate for this country (and not for Belarus)

thorag

On the Ice
Country
Iceland
Does he have Israeli citizenship or is he working on that?

Already the end for the only israeli senior dancers, Vadim Davidovich is listed on IcePartnerSearch. He mentions his israeli citizenship, so probably he intends to continue to skate for this country (and not for Belarus)

Nirti

Medalist
Does he have Israeli citizenship or is he working on that?

Good question. If he mentions it on his profile, I would say he has?
At least Shira Ichilov had the israeli citizenship as she's born in Tel Aviv, but maybe Davidovich has jewish origins too and decided to switch country for this reason?

thorag

On the Ice
Country
Iceland
Good question. If he mentions it on his profile, I would say he has?
At least Shira Ichilov had the israeli citizenship as she's born in Tel Aviv, but maybe Davidovich has jewish origins too and decided to switch country for this reason?

Yes I would think so too. However he is born in Belarus and since Isabella Tobias could not obtain a Israeli citizenship for Olympics I wondered about this detail.

Nirti

Medalist
Yes I would think so too. However he is born in Belarus and since Isabella Tobias could not obtain a Israeli citizenship for Olympics I wondered about this detail.

It was Ilia Tkachenko who couldn't obtain israeli citizenship ;), as he has no jewish roots and probably didn't fulfil other requirements (I don't know which ones)

Some years ago the Zaretski sister/brother represented Israel after being born in Belarus (but went to Israel during their childhood) and still many Ukranians are joining the israeli team with double-citizenship... Maybe Davidovich is in the same case!

thorag

On the Ice
Country
Iceland
It was Ilia Tkachenko who couldn't obtain israeli citizenship ;), as he has no jewish roots and probably didn't fulfil other requirements (I don't know which ones)

Some years ago the Zaretski sister/brother represented Israel after being born in Belarus (but went to Israel during their childhood) and still many Ukranians are joining the israeli team with double-citizenship... Maybe Davidovich is in the same case!

I see. Thank you for clarifying. I didnt think of that there might have been other reasons for the denial.

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
untill some years ago to get israeli chitizenship you just needed to be of jewish ancestors (law of return) and of course live there, is the law still working in the same way?

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
untill some years ago to get israeli chitizenship you just needed to be of jewish ancestors (law of return) and of course live there, is the law still working in the same way?

I've never heard that skaters have to live in Israel in order to obtain citizenship. If that were the case, why would Tkachenko even have bothered to try?

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland

I see. Thank you for clarifying. I didnt think of that there might have been other reasons for the denial.

I remember Isabella saying in an interview during their first season competing together after they re-united that Ilia did have some Jewish roots:

Tobias' new citizenship

Isabella Tobias and Ilia Tkachenko are skating together in an international competition for the first time since they teamed up in 2014. They elected to represent Israel. "We had four options," Tobias explained: "The USA, where I'm originally from; Russia, where Ilia comes from; Lithuania; and Israel. The U.S. would have granted him citizenship one year too late at best; Russia wanted me to give away my American passport, which I would never do; and the experts we consulted assured (us) that Lithuania would never grant him citizenship (I barely got mine). So we chose Israel, as I am of Jewish origin, and Ilia has also some Jewish roots via his mother, which makes it easier.

Source: https://web.archive.org/web/20180702212846/http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2016/01/29/163143704/

So, what ancestry he had mustn't have been sufficient to get citizenship.

And that in itself is a sign that the rules must have changed, because it was always the case that just a hint of Jewish ancestry was enough to make you automatically eligible for Israeli citizenship.

So, there must now be additional requirements. As to what they are, I have no idea!

CaroLiza_fan

happycamper2554

On the Ice
your jewish roots must be maternal to eligible through the right of return. you also have to prove it through jewish documents like a marriage certificate, bat mitzvah or other documents. This process is determined by the Chief Rabbi of Israel and they are very strict about it. So since he says the roots are through his mother and he's from a former soviet country my guess would be that they didn't have sufficient documentation to prove his mother was jewish.

Nirti

Medalist
Already the end for the kazakh pair Adykhanova/Baytkanov, he's looking for a new partner on IPS.

Edit May 9th : split of the polish pair Olivia Oliver / Petr Paleev, he's on IPS.