2019-20 Retirements, Splits & Partner Changes | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Retirements, Splits & Partner Changes

Nirti

Medalist
Steven Adcock is on IPS (British, but he skated 2 seasons with Mariah McCaw for Canada)

surimi

Onward and forward, Sota!
Record Breaker
2019-20 Retirements

I wince at being the one to set up such a thread, but there have been a few retirements already and I think it would be good to keep track of them this way, as the less famous skaters usually don't have a thread in the Edge when they quit skating. I intend to keep updating the OP throughout the season.
Have I omitted anyone?

- confirmed retirements up till now:

Men:
Javier Fernandez
Maxim Kovtun
Alexander Majorov
Phillip Harris
Jorik Hendricx
Hiroaki Sato

Ladies:
Kaetlyn Osmond
Adelina Sotnikova
Anna Pogorilaya
Polina Tsurskaya
SoYoun Park
Brooklee Han
Larkyn Austman
Camilla Gjersem
Anna Tarusina
Silvia Hugec

Dance:
Tessa Virtue/Scott Moir
Ekaterina Bobrova
Betina Popova/Sergei Mozgov
Alla Loboda
Anton Shibnev
Chris Reed

Pairs:
Ksenia Stolbova
Natalia Zabiiako/Alexander Enbert
Chris Knierim

- unconfirmed retirements:

Ashley Wagner
Mirai Nagasu
Carolina Kostner
Elena Radionova
the Shibutanis
Savchenko/Massot, I think there's no way either is coming back now
Alisa Efimova
Ekaterina Alexandrovskaya

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I think Camilla Gjersem has just posted she was retiring? I can't speak Norwegian though, just guessing.

I don't speak Norwegian either, and Google Translate hasn't been playing ball for the past week or so (has anybody else been having this problem?)

But, the post you are referring to certainly looks like it could be a retirement announcement:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BxZiDhpoKD2/

Also, where did you hear about Anna Pogo? I haven't seen anything in the English speaking pages I normally visit. But, as I said, I can't translate anything from the Russian pages at the moment. So, I may have missed it.

As for the unconfirmed list, I don't think this thread is a place where we should be speculating. It should be kept to things that have been officially confirmed.

Anyway, thank you for starting the thread.

CaroLiza_fan

ice coverage

Record Breaker
… The reposted note is still up here. Such a shame, I liked this pair and was waiting forward to their senior debut.

Thanks for the link to a fan's reposting of Khudaiberdieva's now-deleted post. (Useful in giving those who missed Khudaiberdieva's post a chance to read what she originally had written but apparently no longer wants to share.)

I still wonder what it means that Khudaiberdieva took her own post down -- and as of now, has not restored it?

pohatta

On the Ice
Yes Camilla is retiring. I know Swedish well enough to understand most of her post, but not well enough to translate.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Yes Camilla is retiring. I know Swedish well enough to understand most of her post, but not well enough to translate.

Thank you for the confirmation that she is retiring. I'll miss seeing the twins. :cry:

:thank:

CaroLiza_fan

gordana

On the Ice
Country
Russia
Also, where did you hear about Anna Pogo? I haven't seen anything in the English speaking pages I normally visit.
CaroLiza_fan
There wasn't any official statement in Russian pages as far as I know. Maybe she retired de facto, but de jure she is still a competitive skater.

Elucidus

Match Penalty
Pogorilaya is officially retired?
Officially - not yet. But you can say it's official since she said it herself in one of local interviews recently. Only difference here is that she didn't do proper paperwork for RusFed yet.

P.S.: why there isn't Fernandez in the list? Also, I would add Panenkova/Tsurskaya to unconfirmed list, tbh. I can't see any perspectives for them in future in fs - and probably they can't see them too.

Fluture

Record Breaker
Also, I would add Panenkova/Tsurskaya to unconfirmed list, tbh. I can't see any perspectives for them in future in fs - and probably they can't see them too.

Excuse me but you cannot choose to retire people when you feel like it. They have competed last season, even had GP events and have expressed desire to continue, at least Tsurskaya. But anyway, both are done when they say they are, not earlier and certainly not when a random fan on the internet sees “no future for them“. I mean, I totally get that they would have to do a lot to get a redemption on international level and that it will be quite hard but if they want to go for it, why not? We never know. And since they made no such comments and haven‘t been away from competition for a long time like someone like Pogorilaya has for example, I see no reason to add them to any list regarding retirement.

Just because they‘re Russians, had a rough year and 3A are moving up doesn‘t mean they have to retire. :shrug:

Reminds me of this. ;)

https://www.instagram.com/theskatinglesson/p/BxSbPPyHIDd/?igshid=1nhvbrpkdvh37

hanca

Record Breaker
Thanks for the link to a fan's reposting of Khudaiberdieva's now-deleted post. (Useful in giving those who missed Khudaiberdieva's post a chance to read what she originally had written but apparently no longer wants to share.)

I still wonder what it means that Khudaiberdieva took her own post down -- and as of now, has not restored it?
It probably mean that she realised that she shared more than she wants to share.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Yes, of course.

What I meant was/is: Given her apparent retraction, I wonder what the status of the partnership is, at this point.

Until/unless something definitive comes to light, it seems to me that it could be within the realm of possibility that the partnership still is salvageable.

If(?) the partnership had ended for sure and she still wanted it to be known, she could have written a new post with just a brief and simple statement. She has not done so, leaving me to wonder where things now stand.

Country
Norway
Thank you for the confirmation that she is retiring. I'll miss seeing the twins. :cry:

:thank:

CaroLiza_fan

Yes, I can also confirm. I´m sad by this, but I can understand the reasons. I had a feeling she would retire soon, but not so soon. I hoped she would stay for another year, trying to get to WC. I also had a feeling about that this was upcoming news, because I noticed, like with Anne Line Gjersem, that Camilla hasn´t been posting videos from the ice lately. I know she has been busy with exams and stuff and she has also been hospitalized recently because of an appendix removal, so I also thought she might had to have a break because of that. Allthough, I have seen videos from Camilla training after the last competitions, so I have a feeling that the decision was made very recently.

The next season will be interesting for Norway as there aren´t a lot of senior ladies. But I´m very glad that Marianne Staalen had her first senior year this past season. Sondre is currently choreographing her new program so she will continue :) I´m very glad. Also Silje Anna Skulstad Urang from junior ladies will be too old for juniors and she has to move up to senior levels, but I have no clue if she will continue. I hope so. It will be interesting to so see if one of the ladies will qualify for EC. That would be the first time in many many years that Norway isn´t represented by the Gjersem-twins and I hope Norway will be present!

hanca

Record Breaker
Yes, of course.

What I meant was/is: Given her apparent retraction, I wonder what the status of the partnership is, at this point.

Until/unless something definitive comes to light, it seems to me that it could be within the realm of possibility that the partnership still is salvageable.

If(?) the partnership had ended for sure and she still wanted it to be known, she could have written a new post with just a brief and simple statement. She has not done so, leaving me to wonder where things now stand.

Of course the partnership ended. The fact that she took off the post doesn’t mean that they suddenly miraculously got back together. It just mean that she realised that she shared more than she wanted, and that’s why she took it off. And possibly because it is quite raw for her, she couldn’t be bothered to redo her post. What’s so hard to understand?