2019-20 Retirements, Splits & Partner Changes | Page 7 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Retirements, Splits & Partner Changes

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Oh no. Max retired. I has a sad.

Deanna, girl, call Max and unretire him! You can do it!:pray:

Since Max is quitting, is Winter quitting as well, or is she looking for another partner?

no max did not retire he is competing jr with a girl from his rink I think her name is Anya

Friendly reply to skatingonsunshine :):

moonvine's references to "Max" were to Max Settlage, who indeed did retire in Feb.

Not to Maxwell Gart.​

Hot-off-the-press reply to moonvine :hap85::

Seems that Winter Deardorff has a brand-new (junior) partnership, per Dalilah's Instagram last night.

https://www.instagram.com/p/ByY1ndXHUrU/ (Jun 6)​

I know that decamp is skating with somerville but are parsons and green confirmed???

Only a rumor re Green and Parsons, AFAIK. Not confirmed.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
also Eliot graham and Ashlyn stairs ( Canada) have retired

Do you happen to have a link to an announcement for this one? Or shall I just file it under "hearsay" or "unconfirmed" in my brain for now? (It's not an unexpected announcement considering he already announced his retirement once, they were aging up, and they didn't compete at Nationals; but this is the first I've heard on them since Nationals).

La Rhumba

Supporting All British Skaters!
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
also Eliot graham and Ashlyn stairs ( Canada) have retired

I'm sad about this. I really enjoyed their programs last season, thought they had a great FD, which was horribly underrated by the Judges. A big loss for Canada.

Clairecz

On the Ice
Country
Czech-Republic
I guess this means that Joti Polizoakis retired from competitive skating and won't try to find a new partner anymore. German speaking poster may add what else he wrote. My reminiscences of German from high school are not good enough.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Byaa9EBpcKO/

The man wrote TWO full pages?!
Here is summary of the first page:

I close a chapter of my life. The first chapter. Skating has been all my life, my everything. I can now look back at the 19 intense years I’ve been skating.

I’m thankful for everything I’ve achieved. I’m thankful to my family for everything they’ve done for me and allowed me to dream. I’ve been German champion in every category, won international medals and fulfilled my dreams about Olympics. But the biggest victory was the hard work I’ve always put in. Thanks to this I’ve found my place as a person.

To my fans and friends: today I end my career as an active skater. I’m proud of the career I've had. I know I haven’t reached my world cup potential (? potential on the world stage?) but I feel as complete as never before. I’m proud, happy and thankful. Last year was not easy, I was in a situation I wasn’t accustomed to. But it brought me where I’m now. I’ll create a new career outside sports.
That’s what I’ve learnt: Don’t give up and believe in yourself.

I would like to thank the German skating federation. They’ve always believed in me.
I would like to thank the German army (Bundeswehr). Thank you for your support, I’ve spent the best time with you. I’ll fullfil my service obligation to the end (ie. despite the career end, note: in Germany and Austria, professional athletes are often soldiers, so that they get support from state and training environment).

I'll add summary of the second page later.

Andrea82

Medalist
The man wrote TWO full pages?!
Here is summary of the first page:

I close a chapter of my life. The first chapter. Skating has been all my life, my everything. I can now look back at the 19 intense years I’ve been skating.

I’m thankful for everything I’ve achieved. I’m thankful to my family for everything they’ve done for me and allowed me to dream. I’ve been German champion in every category, won international medals and fulfilled my dreams about Olympics. But the biggest victory was the hard work I’ve always put in. Thanks to this I’ve found my place as a person.

To my fans and friends: today I end my career as an active skater. I’m proud of the career I've had. I know I haven’t reached my world cup potential (? potential on the world stage?) but I feel as complete as never before. I’m proud, happy and thankful. Last year was not easy, I was in a situation I wasn’t accustomed to. But it brought me where I’m now. I’ll create a new career outside sports.
That’s what I’ve learnt: Don’t give up and believe in yourself.

I would like to thank the German skating federation. They’ve always believed in me.
I would like to thank the German army (Bundeswehr). Thank you for your support, I’ve spent the best time with you. I’ll fullfil my service obligation to the end (ie. despite the career end, note: in Germany and Austria, professional athletes are often soldiers, so that they get support from state and training environment).

I'll add summary of the second page later.

many thanks for the translation.

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I guess this means that Joti Polizoakis retired from competitive skating and won't try to find a new partner anymore. German speaking poster may add what else he wrote. My reminiscences of German from high school are not good enough.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Byaa9EBpcKO/

I am sad he will not continue. I enjoyed his partnership with Kavita Lorenz and was disappointed they did not continue. I am glad that he ends his career feeling satisfied.

Jana

On the Ice
[...]

If there were injury issues on Elizaveta's side, or if there are issues with releasing her, then this is a worry. Because after last season, Martin can't really afford to be sitting out waiting for her. With Anna and Radek back in action, he could become forgotten about.

I feel so sad for Martin, the way things have worked out for him. He is one of the good guys of the sport, and is so talented. He deserves to have a partner who can get him back to the successs he had with Anna.

Agree. As I said earlier in the thread, I don't want to see Martin get into the situation where he is constantly changing partners searching for the right one. Because I don't think there is a "right one" other than Anna.

Although, a bit ironic given that not wanting to move to Canada was part of the reason for the split with Martin. But, there is a big difference between six weeks and permanently. ;)

Now that the injury woes are over, I am looking forward to seeing how this partnership develops, as I liked both of them as Singles skaters. And, of course, I liked Anna as a Pairs skater.

CaroLiza_fan
Well, Anna was OK with training during summer in Canada or some camps there during the season. But not all the time. These short stays were not enough for Martin. Martin should think if he is able to find a suitable partner for him. I think there will be issues with releasing Russian skaters (see pairs/couples competing for different nations with Russian skater who finished better than Russian ones). Moreover - he should know the issues of two Canadian girls skating in ice dance (Nicole Kuzmich, Cortney Mansour). They had problems to get Czech citizenship necessary to compete at the Olympics. I guess he wants to compete at the Olympics. He should choose the right girl asap to be ready to OG 2022.
I agree that Anna was the one and only partner for him.

La Rhumba

Supporting All British Skaters!
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Well, Anna was OK with training during summer in Canada or some camps there during the season. But not all the time. These short stays were not enough for Martin. Martin should think if he is able to find a suitable partner for him. I think there will be issues with releasing Russian skaters (see pairs/couples competing for different nations with Russian skater who finished better than Russian ones). Moreover - he should know the issues of two Canadian girls skating in ice dance (Nicole Kuzmich, Cortney Mansour). They had problems to get Czech citizenship necessary to compete at the Olympics. I guess he wants to compete at the Olympics. He should choose the right girl asap to be ready to OG 2022.
I agree that Anna was the one and only partner for him.

And it's not as if he & Anna weren't doing well with their training arrangements the way they were. Seems such a sad decision to break up and find out the parts are not the same as the total.

Clairecz

On the Ice
Country
Czech-Republic
Here is summary of the second page of Joti Polizoakis' post https://www.instagram.com/p/Byaa9EBpcKO/

I would like to thank my coaches and sport clubs. I began in REV Heilbronn, I was there only for three years but everything began there and I’m happy that you followed my career. Then, I was in TUS Stuttgart and that’s where my competitive career really began. Then Waldau and of course Oberstdorf. I’m proud that I can say I trained in Oberstdorf.

My coaches over the years… Tracey Solomons-Henn, Rolf Oesterreich, Christel Hacker, Michael Huth, Igor Spilband, Marina Zoueva and Martin Skotnicky and all choreographers, ballet coaches, athletic trainers, mentors. Behind my success is the work of you all. Thank you that you believed in me, that you were patient with me and brought out the best from me.

My biggest thank you goes to my family – my parents and siblings. My parents seemed to always be able to turn the impossible into possible and make me happy. Mom, dad, I will be forever thankful to you.

My love for skating is as strong as ever. I will remain in the figure skating world. I will train and perform and you will see me in shows! But I would also like to do choreographies and to coach.

Dear fans and friends, thank you for you support over the years. It means the world to me. Till today I have every gift and letter I’ve received from you. This is not a goodbye, we will see each other in the future.

I’ve always been a skater, I’m a skater and I will forever be a skater.

Thank you.

hanca

Record Breaker
Right, so the reason Zhuk and Miroshkin don't have any competitions together listed in their fskate.ru Bios is that he was having injury issues, not her.

Well, I suppose that is one less thing for Martin and his fans to worry about. Now it is just the small matter of her getting released...

I have to say, I don't like the tone that the conversation is now taking. Max can't help being injured, yet people seem to be holding it against him.

Give the guy a break! It's not as if we are talking about an Ice Dancer who just plain isn't good enough to be competing at elite level, yet keeps getting given brilliant partners, whose careers then go down the drain after partnering him.

Oh, you would almost think that I was thinking of somebody in particular when I wrote that... :devil:

CaroLiza_fan

I don’t think people are holding against Miroshkin that he is injured. But he has been injured since 2015. In the last four years he tried several partners, but manage to get only to one competition (in February 2017 with Yugai) with very bad results - scored 142. That’s about 30-40 points less than the top juniors score and he is in seniors. I really feel sorry for him because it was the doctor(s) who injured him during their compulsory medical, but the bottom line is, he has had four years of recovering and never managed to recover enough. Isn’t it time to accept the reality that he will never be an elite skater any more and move on? I wouldn’t mind that he keeps hoping and trying, but he is not a solo skater and he is delaying career/taking away opportunities from his partners. Liza Zhuk was very promising with her previous partner, then she teamed up with Miroshkin and hasn’t competed for the past 18 months. Now he teams up with Labazina who is also a pretty decent pair skater, and how long will he waste her time before he realises that his body is really not able to do it any more? The bottom line is, some knee injuries are career ending and his seems to be one of those. If he was healthy, he would have been already competing. What is the chance that it will suddenly heal now?

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
^^^ thank you, hanca, for this fuller, rounder view. I'm not familiar with the individuals, but at least I understand the conversation better now. :thank:

Nirti

Medalist
Split of US pair Chelsea Liu & Ian Meyh, he's on IPS. He's still junior-eligible for two seasons.