Spin Levels | Golden Skate

Spin Levels

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
Hello all!

I am working on Level 1 and 2 spins (2 is the highest allowed in my level). Specifically I am working on my combination spins. There are so many different variations and I am having fun going through the different possibilities however I am having some trouble deciding what I want to do. Right now I can consistently do a camel spin (the basic position but I am working on the catchfoot which I can do but it isn't yet consistent), sit spin (this is my money spin- I can do the cannonball, pancake, back tuck and broken leg) and a basic back sit (no variations). Spins I am working on but cannot do consistently yet are a layback spin and back camel.

I am working on this with my coach but are there any spin combinations you find aesthetically pleasing or interesting using those positions. Or something else I should work on? I would be happy getting a good level 1 for next season. Mostly I want to avoid the dreaded V!

Sorry if this post is rambling- mostly I want to know what combination spins you like!

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
Lol, so much hate for the A-spin. I don't know much about levels, but I am one of the few that loves the A-spin. If you like it, go for it!

waterfall braid

On the Ice
If you can do the catch camel into the tuck behind sit spin it can look very effective. Then just put a regular upright or back upright on the end for the 3rd basic position.

But It would probably be easiest to just do basic camel then 2 of the sit variations- whichever two you can do one after the other best. And then the upright.

Just in case you didn’t know.... Cannonball and pancake are part of the same category of difficult position so only one can be counted for a level.

jf12

Final Flight
If you can do the catch camel into the tuck behind sit spin it can look very effective. Then just put a regular upright or back upright on the end for the 3rd basic position.

But It would probably be easiest to just do basic camel then 2 of the sit variations- whichever two you can do one after the other best. And then the upright.

Just in case you didn’t know.... Cannonball and pancake are part of the same category of difficult position so only one can be counted for a level.

Also don't forget that if you want to max your levels on your sit spin, you can't re-use any of those variations in your combination spin in the same program. If it's a higher confidence move, it might be easier for you to do more variations on your sit and keep your combination relatively simple.

Step Sequence4

JULLLIEEEEETTTT!
Final Flight
imo to the A-spin discussion above, it's an easy level (it's also counted as an upright)

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
Haha- I love how this has turned into a debate about the merits (or lack thereof) the A spin!

Right now my idea is cannonball- back sit for my sit spin which would be a level 2 (in adult levels changing to a back sit is a level, I’m not sure why, i didn’t write the rules!), and camel- back tuck - backspin (upright) for the combination (which I think is a level 1). If I can get the camel- catch- tuck I would do that but only want to go for it if it’s good.

Haha, what I really need to do is learn how to hold my camel spin long enough so I stop getting the dreaded B.

VenusHalley

Final Flight
They are so ugly. Just looks like the skater is sticking their butt in the air.

They are more commonly known as butt spins. There are few skaters who manage to make them look good (I like Loena's butt spin... somewhat), but mostly it looks awkward.

energywithin22

Rinkside
They are more commonly known as butt spins. There are few skaters who manage to make them look good (I like Loena's butt spin... somewhat), but mostly it looks awkward.

To me this is exactly the case with a camel spin. It just looks so square and stiff, I've seen only a bunch of skaters doing a nice looking camel spin :) the variations of camel look better, though