2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating | Page 61 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating

Scott512

Record Breaker
Because it is not trivial to switch countries, specially for singles (for pairs and dance is easier as you have weaker citizenship and so on restrictions).
Getting the citizenship is a major pain most of the time.
Then, living in Canada / America / England / Germany is expensive, much more expensive than eastern Europe or Kaz.
Then, there are language issues - its much easier to stay in a country where tons of people, if not all, speak Russian.

I suppose so.

Some of these Russinas basically numbers 6 through 10 in must feel so trapped especially with 3a coming. So maybe one or two of them will try to get dual citizenship with Belarus or Kazakhstan.

IndiaP12

iliabot wakabot gumennikbot team korea stan
Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
I don't see the point of giving only one spot to a skater, Tarusina seems ready for seniors in my opinion but i can see RusFed agreeing with you on keeping her in Juniors to ease the process.

Tarusina is extremely consistent, the most consistent Russian lady, she didn’t make a mistake last season - but she doesn’t have the base value and PCS some other Russian ladies do although her PCS should grow as she gets older and develops a reputation in seniors like with Samodurova and her consistency - which is why I think she should go to Senior this season (she is 16 too)

lopsilceci

On the Ice
Country
Mexico
Because it is not trivial to switch countries, specially for singles (for pairs and dance is easier as you have weaker citizenship and so on restrictions).
Getting the citizenship is a major pain most of the time.
Then, living in Canada / America / England / Germany is expensive, much more expensive than eastern Europe or Kaz.
Then, there are language issues - its much easier to stay in a country where tons of people, if not all, speak Russian.

Also, the president of Belarus openly said he would like some of these talented Russian skaters to compete for Belarus...

As for Kazakhstan, they have 3 spots for the 2020 World Championships and (currently) only LilBet to send, so... ;)

vesperalvioletta

Medalist
Country
United-States
Also, the president of Belarus openly said he would like some of these talented Russian skaters to compete for Belarus...

As for Kazakhstan, they have 3 spots for the 2020 World Championships and (currently) only LilBet to send, so... ;)
Kazakhstan does have Aiza Mambekova and Alana Toktarova. Neither can compare to the Russian ladies in technical content, and whether or not they'll make TES requirements is totally up in the air, but they're around.

Azerbaijan is also quite happy to grant athletes citizenship, if they think they might qualify for the Olympics -- at least a little more frequently than most countries.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
This question just came to my mind: Does Russia allow dual citizenship at all? If so, switching country just for skating would be more acceptable, because you are not giving up your Russian citizenship.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
This question just came to my mind: Does Russia allow dual citizenship at all? If so, switching country just for skating would be more acceptable, because you are not giving up your Russian citizenship.

Allows, only the second citisenship has to be reported.

But as I've said many times, I don't like this system, where athletes must represent other country to be able to get intop international competitions. This "flag migration" is only artificial way how to secure "internationality" on the big competitions. So, e.g. Ekaterina Ryabova skates under the flag of Azerbaijan instead of Russia, while she was born, lives and trains in Moscow, and there are many ladies and girls like her. I say the max number of entries per country should be risen.

Happy Skates

Final Flight

But as I've said many times, I don't like this system, where athletes must represent other country to be able to get intop international competitions. This "flag migration" is only artificial way how to secure "internationality" on the big competitions. So, e.g. Ekaterina Ryabova skates under the flag of Azerbaijan instead of Russia, while she was born, lives and trains in Moscow, and there are many ladies and girls like her. I say the max number of entries per country should be risen.

Yeah, and if worlds is going to have 6 girls from Russia, why not have the best 6?

Scott512

Record Breaker

I have mentioned girls leaving Russia for dual citizenship with other countries just to skate. But it's kind of a fake system like you alluded to. And as I've said for years I would prefer the maximum number of spots gets raised for the country that deserves it in a certain discipline. But raised only on Merit. For instance of Russia it's most of the spots in the Grand Prix finals they should get another spot for Europeans and worlds and Olympics. That's a merit-based system and we all know they're capable of getting four or five of the spots in the Grand Prix final Seniors or Juniors. This would allow the dominant country per discipline to get another incredibly valuable spot while not taking away on the back end of an event from the lower ranked countries and skaters. Only losing one spot would not be a big deal overall.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Tarusina is extremely consistent, the most consistent Russian lady, she didn’t make a mistake last season - but she doesn’t have the base value and PCS some other Russian ladies do although her PCS should grow as she gets older and develops a reputation in seniors like with Samodurova and her consistency - which is why I think she should go to Senior this season (she is 16 too)

Yes i really like the way she attacks her programs, she has a different style than the other russian ladies and i appreciate that, there are some jumps issues to be fixed though, 3lutz looks underrotated sometimes and callers have been generous to her.

I'm worried if Elena Vodorezova becomes her main coach they might not fix this, and if that is the case she will face the same situation Sotskova and Tsurskaya had this season with the underrotations not fixed and artistry not rewarded because of the technical mistakes.

CSKA needs their Sergei Dudakov.

anna gabriela

Rinkside
Alena is using her exhibition music (and I assume some of the program itself) for her short next season!!
https://www.instagram.com/p/BxdCwtlIQQa/?igshid=1xvxgi3xh9lya

I’m really excited for this, I think with a few tweaks it could make for a really great competitive program, I just hope they change they costume 😂

And for her free she’s using ‘No One Ever Called Me That’ by Dario Marianelli.

I’ve never heard of this song but I just had a quick listen and I think it has a lot of potential, it just depends a lot on the music cuts.

Maju

On the Ice
I love that she’s using the music from her EX but I feel the music for her FS is very samey. I think it would have been better if she used her EX music for the FS. I’m sure Alena will make something beautiful out of it though.

vesperalvioletta

Medalist
Country
United-States
Gutsy of the team to do a vampire program for her. I'm sure it'll be quite different from her EX, but I worry it could come off pretty juniorish [emoji51]

SkateSkates

Medalist
I’m very excited about the LP music. Hopefully this program can be a more mature Stella’s theme type of program with beautiful clean lines and flow throughout. That program was very special.

While I like her EX I am a bit hesitant about how this will translate into a competitive program. It is very campy right now. Maybe we will see the competitive format at DOI in June

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Alena is using her exhibition music (and I assume some of the program itself) for her short next season!!
https://www.instagram.com/p/BxdCwtlIQQa/?igshid=1xvxgi3xh9lya

I’m really excited for this, I think with a few tweaks it could make for a really great competitive program, I just hope they change they costume ��

And for her free she’s using ‘No One Ever Called Me That’ by Dario Marianelli.

I’ve never heard of this song but I just had a quick listen and I think it has a lot of potential, it just depends a lot on the music cuts.

Gotta respect that at least it's modern and different, in a way similar to Aymoz's SP.

I love that she’s using the music from her EX but I feel the music for her FS is very samey. I think it would have been better if she used her EX music for the FS. I’m sure Alena will make something beautiful out of it though.

It would have probably been too controversial, Kostornaya is arguagbly the most artistic skater Eteri has, the free skate is usually the more conservative one, the figure skating audience (judges included) probably want to see the pretty packaging.

I like the piece they chose for the FS though.

Maju

On the Ice
I take back what I said about the FS music. I got a better listen to it. The accents are lovely.(couldn’t fully hear it over Eurovision ;) )Alena will make something truly beautiful out of it. It’s a bit Yunaesque to me.

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
I take back what I said about the FS music. I got a better listen to it. The accents are lovely.(couldn’t fully hear it over Eurovision ;) )Alena will make something truly beautiful out of it. It’s a bit Yunaesque to me.

100%
I didn’t get it at first, when you wrote „samey“, because to me this music seemed vastly different than what she did before.
It’s so mature, sophisticated and elegant, it’s both something new, a completely different image, yet a very fitting piece for Alena‘s lovely qualities as a skater.
A good piece of fresh, not overused music, perfect for her senior debut, showing more mature side of her.
A nice pick from Daniil.

I haven’t seen the movie, but I’m waiting for people to scream about how inappropriate it is for a teenager ;)
As if memoirs of a Geisha or Carmen that even kids do at times, is so fitting for their age :)

IndiaP12

iliabot wakabot gumennikbot team korea stan
Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
Yes i really like the way she attacks her programs, she has a different style than the other russian ladies and i appreciate that, there are some jumps issues to be fixed though, 3lutz looks underrotated sometimes and callers have been generous to her.

I'm worried if Elena Vodorezova becomes her main coach they might not fix this, and if that is the case she will face the same situation Sotskova and Tsurskaya had this season with the underrotations not fixed and artistry not rewarded because of the technical mistakes.

CSKA needs their Sergei Dudakov.

Same. I really hope Elena doesn’t become her main coach - we all know how that goes down with seniors